California Holiday in June

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2009, 03:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I am going to California this June with my mum and my baby girl (8 months old). I have been to the US a few times but I am thinking of starting in LA and driving to Santa Barbara and ending up in San Francisco. Can anyone recommend hotels and destinations along the way? I am thinking of staying in serviced apartments but don't know if this is a common thing in California. As I have a baby I have to prepare all her meals and am a worried about staying in a hotel without a kitchen. We are budgeting on about $300 a night. In LA I'm planning on staying in Beverly Hills or West Hollywood. I have never been to Santa Barbara or San Francisco. Also, does anyone recommend Colorado? I've been to the airport there and got a good vibe. I want to go somewhere else really picturesque, so if you can give any ideas it would be greatly appreciate.

Cheers,
Mich
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 05:27 AM

For picturesque, you'll want to include the drive up Hwy 1 through Big Sur. Also Point Lobos State Reserve just south of Carmel. Then Carmel-by-the -Sea and a walk along the ocean in Pacific Grove. Also the 17 Mile Drive in Pebble Beach.
I lived in California most of my life and never heard of anything called "serviced apartment". If you mean units in which you can cook, then ask the hotels for rooms with a kitchenette. Santa Barbara is nice but doesn't have the spectacular natural beauty of the places I've mentioned. San Francisco is a must see. There is so much to see and do there that you will need a guide book and several days.
Have fun!
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 08:33 AM

Colorado is 1,200 miles from California so I would save that for another trip. Previous posters advice is sound and highway 1 is a must. I would also include Hearst Castle on the central California coast. Also, there are dozens of outstanding wineries in the Santa Barbara, Santa Maria areas. Finally, I feel that $300 per night is excessive and would look at tripadvisor.com for places with kitchenettes.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 09:44 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Self-catering flats are not common here. There are loads of vacation rental houses, but not generally available by the night. But it is VERY common for motels - especially lower cost ones do have kitchenettes or at least a microwave and small fridge. And there are higher end chains like Embassy Suites that have small kitchens.

How long is the whole trip - I don't see how Colorado fits in your plans at all.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 10:13 AM

Hearst Castle is great, but I wouldn't do it with a baby who is mobile. You have to stick with your tour and there isn't much flexibility for an 8 month old who decides that she is done being carted around. If the baby isn't crawling yet, then it might work, although check if they allow strollers on the tour.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 01:29 PM

Take a look at Cow Hollow Suites - www.cowhollowsuites.com - in San Francisco. They have full kitchens and free parking.

Colorado is beautiful, but unless you have a good amount of time for this trip, I don't think it will fit into your plans.

Lee Ann
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Hi, I will be away for 3 weeks. November_moon, my daughter isn't crawling yet, but I'm sure she will be by the time I get to the US. Twelve oaks, I wanted to go to Colorado because once I had to stop at their airport in transit, and I got a really good vibe. I know it sounds strange as I've only been to the airport, but sometimes you can tell you're going to like a city just by the airport. Ok, after reading all the comments I think I'll just stick to hotels. Any recommendations?
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 04:09 PM

" I wanted to go to Colorado because once I had to stop at their airport in transit, and I got a really good vibe. . . . . . . . sometimes you can tell you're going to like a city just by the airport."

Colorado is not a city - it is a very large state. Do you mean Denver? In any case, w/ 3 weeks you could have a terrific driving tour of California. You could even stay several places for 3 - 4 days each in rented holiday homes. But along the coast most house rental are pretty pricey. You will not have much trouble finding hotels/motels w/ kitchens/kitchenettes. You'll want to book your accommodations ahead of time to ensure you get the sorts of facilities you need.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 04:18 PM

Isn't the new Denver airport way out in the boonies - or is that the Colorado Springs airport????

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 01:02 AM
Original Poster

Everyone is right, we're now definitely not going to Colorado as we're just going to stay in California. And we should be able to stay in hotels, I mean people travel with babies all the time. It can't be that difficult. I just need to find some good hotels along the coast now.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 01:08 AM
Original Poster

I forgot to ask, as we're driving from LA to San Francisco, staying at different places along the way - is there any beach town you recommend staying for a night or 2?
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 10:51 AM

Yes, Denver airport is in the boonies - although every time I visit Denver, I am amazed at how much progress civilization has made toward the airport, esspecially along the southeast part of E470. I wonder how long it will be before the airport is in town
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 11:39 PM

Pismo Beach or Shell Beach have nice places to stay right on the water. Be careful with your infant though. The sea can be deadly. I would not travel with one so young. BTW, where is your wife?
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 01:57 AM
Original Poster

Hi, I am the wife. I'm leaving my husband at home for 3 weeks. We're not really going to the beach, just want the drive for the scenery and to see places like Malibu and Santa Barbara. I've been to the US about 5 times and really enjoy it for a holiday. I even really like LA, which seems strange to a lot of people.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 09:07 AM

"I would not travel with one so young. BTW, where is your wife?" This may be one of the weirdest posts I've seen in a long time. People travel w/ babies all the time. And why do you care where the wife (or husband) is????
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 11:50 AM

I thought that was a weird post too.

My niece is only 18 months old and she is about to make her 4th trip across the country She is quite a good traveller.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 12:26 PM

I took my son to LA when he was 6 weeks old, and to Hawaii when he was 3 months, and we haven't stopped traveling with him in the 24 years since!
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

I also found it to be a very strange question. I have quite a few friends that have been OS with their babies and all have said it was a good experience. And not to mention the airfare is only 10% of ours.
On another topic, I also wanted some advice on car hire. Which is the cheapest way to rent a car?
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 04:07 PM

Not only is the post odd, but so is the poster's screen name.

Lee Ann