California coastal town to avoid summer heat

Old Aug 31st, 2010, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
California coastal town to avoid summer heat

This summer in Arkansas has been an absolute furnace. Not only have temps been above 100 (as much as 108), but the humidity has been awful, too.

My husband and I went on two trips last month - the first to Charleston, and the next to San Diego. I'd only been to Charleston once before and absolutely loved it, but this time the humidity and heat were so bad that it was no fun to walk around.

From Charleston we flew to San Diego, and I thought I was in heaven. Actually, didn't think but KNEW. We were on the water and loved the 68 degree weather.

So now I'm trying to find someplace on the California coast to spend a couple of weeks next summer.

I'd love to find a California equivalent of Key West. We've been going there for decades and love what it has to offer: tourist activities and fabulous restaurants within walking distance of where we stay. But no way would we go there in the summer - or even late spring or early fall - because their weather is what we're trying to escape.

We've been to San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego, but my husband isn't as fond of cities as I am. We've spent time at Monterey and loved it, but he'd like someplace with more stuff to see and do. We drove to Carmel to eat several times, and I think it looks really fun, but again, there doesn't seem to be a big variety of activities other than physical ones.

Both times we were in San Diego we drove over to La Jolla...it was really pretty and we had a great meal there, but it was really crowded.

The weird thing about this request is that we're looking for something in California that we no longer want or need in Key West. We've been going there so long that we don't really do "tourist activities" anymore. Basically, we eat every meal out - and I DO love those restaurants - but other than that, we walk, sit on a balcony, read and drink.

But to break in a new place I'm looking for a few additional perks. Forgot to mention we're in our late 60s and don't do things that require a lot of physical exertion.

I've just finished my second glass of wine so I think I'll try and post more when I'm either sober or drunker. Thanks for any ideas anyone may have. I know this is an obscenely broad request, but hey, I just need one trip idea!

Thanks, Susan
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 04:02 PM

I saw this over in the Lounge and answered there. I recommend Santa Barbara. I would guess that you could rent a house or apartment there for a couple of weeks.

The summer temperatures are moderate. Santa Barbara has plenty of shopping & dining and the beaches are nice too.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 04:08 PM

Summer along the California coast is pretty cool/cold since there is usually a fog layer in the mornings, "June Gloom" is the usual name but it's there pretty much most of the summer.

You didn't say how many weeks, but maybe you could drive along the entire California coast, stopping a few days here and there. The coast offers so many activities and sights - hiking, kayaking, winetasting, seeing redwoods, dining a la organic - even a second glass of wine may not help me to answer your question: where to go along the California coast?

Maybe you and I should try a third glass of wine?

What are you sipping?
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 05:32 PM

I think Santa Barbara is a good fit. You don't want big cities but want more activities. Santa Barbara has a zoo, some museums, the mission and of course you can go wine tasting in Solvang/Santa Ynez. Depending on how long you stay, you could take a drive up to San Luis Obispo for the day or to Camarillo to shop at the outlet stores. Lots of variety in this area but laid back. Restaurants are crowded in the summer but you can expect this in any coastal town. My co-worker, wanting to escape the heat of Arizona, rented a house in Santa Barbara during July. It was through VRBO and she got a great deal. It was last minute and the house wasn't right by the beach but it was very nice.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Paula, it could be that Santa Barbara is right for us. I've looked at places to stay there and if I could find a great location it might be good.

easy - "The coast offers so many activities and sights - hiking, kayaking, winetasting, seeing redwoods, dining a la organic - even a second glass of wine may not help me to answer your question: where to go along the California coast?"

To eliminate (sadly) some of your suggestions: my husband and I are in our late 60s and he had serious surgeries a couple of years ago. He does fine walking, but hiking is out for us. I'm a goofy water freak, but he isn't, so I think kayaking is out for us too. We've seen - and loved - the redwoods (just typing about them gives me chills)

About that third glass of wine? At this point, a 4th (or 5th) would be more in order!.

Thanks to you all!
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 07:04 PM

I love Carlsbad Ca- just north of San Diego- nice village atmosphere , great beaches and if you want to visit SD or some of the other coastal towns- you can very easily take the train .

Or maybe you should consider the Oregon coast - like Cannon Beach
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 07:18 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Carmel
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 07:20 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Oh, never mind. I read more closely.
If you want to consider something other than CA, consider Cape Cod in the summer. Delicious weather!
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 08:14 PM

sunbum-I was going to suggest North County San Diego like Carlsbad or Encinitas. I was thinking that they might not want to drive into San Diego but the train is a good idea. Then if they wanted to go other places in the San Diego area they could always drive. I'd be happy to sit on a balcony, read, and drink wine in the Carlsbad area and I only live 30 minutes from there!!
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 08:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Not on the coast, but Lake Tahoe is wonderful in the summer.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 08:38 PM

paula- lucky you to live so close- as I said before, I love Carlsbad- not as glitzy as La Jolla but feels more real to me - daughter used to live there and I do miss visiting
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 09:17 PM

>>>We've spent time at Monterey and loved it, but he'd like someplace with more stuff to see and do. We drove to Carmel to eat several times, and I think it looks really fun, but again, there doesn't seem to be a big variety of activities other than physical ones.>>>

Many people (including me) think the coastline from Carmel to Big Sur & past is the most scenic coastline in the world - really!!!. Lots of stuff to do & see in Carmel, Monterey, Pacific Grove, Big Sur, San Simeon, Cambria, etc. Perhaps you need a better guide book. If your husband can't find interesting things to do & see from San Francisco to San Luis Obispo - He is hard to please. Here are some suggestions of things in San Francisco & around the Bay Area.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=35129049

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 10:09 PM

Still working on my second glass of wine (Sunce, Viognier), but already this paragraph looks kind of contradictory or difficult to answer:

"The weird thing about this request is that we're looking for something in California that we no longer want or need in Key West. We've been going there so long that we don't really do "tourist activities" anymore. Basically, we eat every meal out - and I DO love those restaurants - but other than that, we walk, sit on a balcony, read and drink."

The way this paragraph looks through a wine glass is that you don't want to walk, sit on a balcony, read nor drink because that's what you've been doing in Key West. In California, you want to do "tourist things".

Sorry, but you've got to eat and drink, because that's part of some of the best of California. How about going out to restaurants and seeing some shows at night? or going fishing (that's going out in a boat and sitting there drinking)? or going winetasting?

Mendocino County has all of that, plus more, and it's way out in the boonies as far as big cities go; in fact, they even have a town called Boonville.

Santa Barbara's good, but it's another big city. Carlsbad and Encinitas are good - a lot warmer than here in Northern California. Don't know exactly when you're coming but there's horse-racing at Del Mar. Or, if you want to spring big bucks, there are the "beauty farms" like La Costa. If it's vegetating on a beach that you want, I'd suggest Coronado Island. Greater San Diego has a lot to offer... Just remembered - every Wednesday the "fleet" goes out on a "race" - all these sail boats with tipsy sailors and tipsy-sailors-wannabes. try and snag an invitation on a sailboat; they are always in need of deckhands. When they holler "All hands on deck!" they mean it's time to break out the beer, wine, liquor.

I'm running out of suggestions. I'm sure the others can help out more than I can. See you tomorrow when we're all more thober.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 04:12 AM

Another vote for Carlsbad - I've only spent part of the past 50 summers there. There are plenty of places to rent. If your budget allows, there's nothing like a place right on the beach.

As mentioned, if you want to visit San Diego and don't want to drive, the Coaster is convenient and there is a cheap Senior fare.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 06:04 AM

There's nothing like Santa Barbara.I love it.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 06:48 AM

Like Key West?
There is a part of Newport Beach called Balboa Island(not the Peninsula). It has a neat feel, and overlooked by many tourists that go to Newport Beach. There is a handful of B&Bs and hotels there.
I also liked the Carlsbad, and Laguna Beach ideas. Maybe add Coronado Island as another option to beat the heat
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 07:01 AM

How long are you planning to stay?
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much! I understand why you might be confused at my wording: it's not making much sense to me this morning either. Regarding our looking for "things" to do other than what we do in Key West, I'll try to explain.

When we first started going there we filled lots of time with activities - sunset sails, glass-bottom boats, museums, etc. The more time we spent there, the less those types of things interested us (and we'd done most of them by then too). But we made a conscious effort to do at least one "tourist activity" per 2 week trip. We finally threw in the towel after our last two activities were eating a sloppy joe at Sloppy Joe's (possibly the most disgusting sandwich I've ever had), and watching the drag queen races, which were perfectly hysterical, but give you an idea of how low we were on the list of things we hadn't done.

Having said that, when we travel to other places, we like to experience new things. We do like to have restaurants nearby, though, because neither of us wants to drive after having a drink.

We'll probably take a couple of weeks for this trip, and I'm thinking that the best way to approach it may be to drive several places. My husband would probably be happier knowing we'll be moving about, but I'd be happier knowing we have an itinerary - regardless how loose it is. My days of "winging it" traveling are long over. So I'll take all your suggestions into consideration and try to come up with a plan.

StuDudley - over the years I've read lots of your threads on the San Francisco area and have found them wonderfully informative.

Unfortunately, the drive that you suggest from Monterey to Big Sur and San Simeon is one that I have a completely irrational fear of. The first time we tried it, a car had just gone over the side (on my side of the road, I might add) and it freaked me out so completely that I simply haven't been able to make that trip. We've tried it on 3 separate occasions, with my husband driving at a snail's pace and pulling over to let other cars pass, but it still doesn't
help

I'll look into all your suggestions - I'd never even heard of Carlsbad!
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 08:44 AM

easytraveler-I wouldn't really call Santa Barbara a big city compared to San Diego, LA or San Francisco. I mentioned it because it's big enough to have activities but to me at least, still has that smaller town feel.

Susan-Too bad you can't make the drive through Big Sur-it is so spectacular. If you aren't interested in Carlsbad, then I would go for the Central Coast. You could spend a week in Santa Barbara, then some time in San Luis Obispo. Stay a couple of nights in Cambria and one day drive into Paso Robles and do some wine tasting. There is also wine tasting in the SLO area, Edna Valley wines are great. If you do the Central Coast, I would suggest you come later in the summer as the beginning of summer can have the "June Gloom". August would probably be perfect.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 08:47 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Santa Cruz

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -