Reload this Page >

California Coast: PLEASE HELP

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 06:30 PM
Josh

I tried to post this before, but guess it didn't work.

Situation: I am traveling down the coast Columbus Day weekend w/ some friends. Flying into Oakland the night of THursday the 10th and returning home from Long Beach the night of Monday the 14th.

Problem: I am really afraid of heights and I'm the only driver. Yes, I should have realized the problem earlier, but nothing to do about that now.

Here are my questions:

1) How long (miles) is the scary part? In what towns does it start and end.

2) I think I could handle that part going south to north, but I'll be going north to south. Is there anyway for me to veer off Rt. 1 and meet up w/ it after the "bad" part is over and then drive up north through that section? I know this would be extra driving, but I'm willing to do it if it's doable.

Otherwise, I'll just deal with it.

Thanks for your help!

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 06:44 PM
nick

<<<<<<<<<<< troll >>>>>>>>>>>>

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 07:51 PM
Josh

Dear nick ([email protected]),

I am actually quite seriously about all of this. Maybe it would be absurd to retrace my steps, but I don't live in California. So, the feasibility is completely unknown to me.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 08:22 PM
David

Just ignore the sarcasm, Josh. Unfortuantely, you see a lot of that sometimes on this board. In all honesty, the drive south on highway 1 is really not too bad, as long as you take it slow. The "scariest" part begins around Big Sur and continues down to just north of Santa Maria, which is a distance of about 130 miles. If I were you I would just "deal" with it. If you really do not want to drive north to south on the Pacific Coast Highway, you could drive from Oakland down to Santa Maria via 880 south toward San Jose. Once in the city take highway 101 south to 135 to Santa Maria and then take highway 1 north from there up the coast. The drive from Oakland to Santa Maria is about 260 miles. If I were you I would take it slow going north to south. Instead of switching to 101 south when in the city, stay on 880, which will turn into 17 south toward Santa Cruz, then merge onto highway 1 south toward Monterey.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 08:23 PM
David

If you can fly into San Jose instead of Oakland, it will save you about 2 hours of driving time.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 08:34 PM
Geri

2 hours Oakland to San Jose. Right.

Stick with Oakland and bypass San Jose if at all possible -- it's a stinking blight on the face of California. Don't forget to spend a little time in San Francisco before heading south!

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 08:45 PM
joe

Geri, What the heck got under your wig? San Jose is actually a very nice city, but I don't think that Josh is interested in visiting San Jose, and most certainly not SF, which is the armpit, or more accurately the crotch of Northern California. By the way Geri, have you driven 880 from Oakland into San Jose? Obviously not. I do that route routinely, and it is not at all out of the ordinary for that trip to take about 2 hours especially during commute time or if there is an accident. It always slows down just north of the city near Dixon landing Road in Milpitas where the freeway narrows down.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 09:20 PM
John

Are you driving out of necessity or to see scenery?

If out of necessity take 101 South all the way. It hits the coast after Big Sur (the "scary part"). Also faster.

If for scenery take Hway 1 through Big Sur. It's one of the world's most beautiful drives. Other drivers are generally going fairly slow and safely. You'll be fine.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 03:37 AM
East

I've never been to California.
Please tolerate my ignorance when I ask "What could be so scary about a drive?"
I'm serious here. Thanks for a reply.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 04:12 AM
East Coaster2

Well, for those of us who hate heights, some roads out west are scary! I haven't encountered as many such sections of highway on the east coast.
Still, I didn't find them bad enough to route around. Actually liked the scenery, and would drive the coastal route again!

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 11:30 AM
Josh

Thank you guys for all your help!