Reload this Page >

California chain laws? Very confused...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 02:52 AM
Marion

Hi! I'm visiting California in a few weeks and plan to spend some time in in the Sierra Nevada but my aunt has informed me that by law I have to have tyre chains - but I also understand that car rental companies prohibit their use. My understanding was that the chains are only compulsary if you use certain roads and so long as you avoid those roads then it's OK not to have them.

This is a very dull query but I'd really appreciate some help! Thanks!

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 04:16 AM
Paul Rabe

Why not pick up the phone and call the 800 number for the car rental company you're thinking of renting from? What may be true for one company may NOT be true for another, and policies do change. So even if one of us says "You can't use chains" or "You can", only the ACTUAL car rental company you'll be using can give you the facts.

You're correct about needing chains only on certain roads. However, sometimes "those" roads include the interstates! The Sierras can dump half a meter of snow in a few hours, without much warning, so sometimes ALL road require chains. If you're going to take a chance, watch the weather and be ready to stick to main roads!

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 05:57 AM
Patrick

Sounds like a good suggestion, but don't expect the car rental agency to know the answer. We are renting a 4- wheel drive in San Francisco and will be driving to Tahoe for a week. When we asked Hertz, Avis, and Budget we got different answers. Only Avis could guarantee that the SUV we reserve will definitely be a 4 wheel drive. The others said it really didn't make a difference if it was 4 wheel or not and that no we didn't really need 4 wheel drive or chains in Tahoe, they keep the roads clear. We KNOW that the road we will travel back and forth frequently from Truckee to the lake (we are staying in Nortstar) requires either 4 wheel drive or chains with even a touch of snow. Avis guaranteed us a 4-wheel drive but told us to be sure to confirm that when we pick up the car as not all their SUV's are 4-wheel drive.

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 05:59 AM
Patrick

Sorry, I got so long winded I missed my main point. If you rent a 4-wheel drive car you can avoid the chain problem all together.

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 09:58 AM
BillJ

Marion, this is not a "dull query." You are very wise to be thinking of these things. The snow in the Sierras is considered "heavy" with lots of water content, as opposed to Rockie Mountain snow, which is considered dry. Therefore, snowy conditions in the two mountain ranges differ. I have lots of driving experience in the Sierras, and would never go into the mountains with out chains or 4 wheel drive during the winter months. There are several places along the main interstates where vehicles are held when chains become mandatory. The Highway Patrol sets up these "road blocks." They will let you through with chains or 4 wheel. Usually at these spots, there are several enterprising individuals who will install your chains for you for a nominal charge. When you are in California, there is a telephone number you can call that will give you up to date highway information (also available on the net.).
Even if the interstates are "clear," the secondary roads may have ice and snow. Especially in the shady or north side of mountains. Best bet? spend extra, get a good 4 wheel drive, and drive carefully. Welcome to California, the Sierras in winter can be awesome.