Search

CALIF HWY 1 IN DEC

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 1997, 09:07 AM
Erika

CALIF HWY 1 IN DEC

We are considering driving Hwy 1 in Calif in Dec, from San Luis Opispo to Monteray. Does anyone have any good hotels, preferably reasonable in cost, they would like to recommend for the Carmel/Monteray area? Also in the San Luis Opispo area. Is Dec considered low season? Can you do the drive in one day, including stopping at various spots for sightseeing? Any and all information would be really helpful. Thanks.

Old Aug 4th, 1997, 09:24 AM
Valerie

Go to the Bayarea Backroads site http://www.bayareabackroads.com/

Last nights show (On Monterey) is first topic and this site has all of the information. REALLY cute and clean cottages~ANDRIL FIREPLACE COTTAGES at $68-$125 (408)375-0954 and call 1-800-555-wave for specials and dollar saving coupons!!!
Go to the Dennis the Menace playground, in Monterey. It's free, has a great merry-go-round and maze. Bring duck food.
Have fun...Valerie

Old Aug 9th, 1997, 09:07 AM
Steve

You're in for one of the nicest drives/ views in Calif. (I born and raised in CA) One of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed in is in San Louis Obispo, CA. It's called The Apple Farm. The rooms and the service are the best I've ever experienced.
As for the drive: yes you can do it in one day if you leave from San Louis early in the in the morning, because you surely want tostop and see Wi8lliam Randolph Hurst's Castle, now a State Park. That will take two or three hours. Then get back on the road after lunch and you'll see some of the best coastal views in the world. You may want to stop at Clint Eastwood's restaurant, Hog's Breath Inn, in Big Sur (about 4 hours North of Hearst Castle) before arriving in Carmel (about an hour or two North of Big Sur). I wish I could go with you, as this is one of my favorite areas in Calif. Don't forget to bring a camera, there are views that will take your breath away! And call the Apple Farm in San Louis Obispo, I promise you, you will not be disappointed and the rates will be lower than in the summer.

Old Aug 15th, 1997, 01:13 PM
jeff

The Grandview Inn in Pacific Grove (Monterey/Carmel area) is fabulous B&B. Ask for Mariposa room. Sweeping views of the bay. Great breakfasts, friendly staff, afternoon tea with homemade cookies and fudge. Relaxing as can be.

Old Aug 19th, 1997, 07:50 PM
Erika

Thank you for your comments and info. I
will use it all! Erika