Cal itinerary suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2007, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all- thank you to all who post here. It has been a great help as I have planned our family's trip. I am open for suggestions re: things that should not be missed at each point:
Sun: arrive at SFO and visit w/friends
Mon: head to Ysoemite w/reservations at the Yosemite Lodge at the Falls; will do valley tour
Tue: suggestions? will head south to see the Mariposa groves and Wawona Hotel; we'll stay just south of the park at the Hound's Tooth Lodge
Wed: Head to Cambria; we'll stay at the San Simeon Pines Seaside on Moonstone Beach; take in the scenery; walk through the town
Th: tour Hearst Castle; head to Big Sur with stops along the way for hikes; view the lighthouse; stay at the Ripplewood Resort in cabin 15
Fr: cont up the coast; stop at Pt. Lobos and Carmel, shop; 17-mile drive to Pacific Grove to stay at the Deer Haven Inn
Sat: Monterey Bay Aquarium and wharf; head north w/possible stop in Santa Cruz for lunch (suggestions?); stop at Cliff house and see the Baths as well, drive down Lombardi Street; head to Hyatt Fisherman's Wharf which is where we will stay until we fly out on Th. Only solid plan while there is to do the night tour of Alcatraz on Mon. We will turn in the rental car once we get the kids (11 & 18) settled into the hotel. There is so much to do in San Fran. I do want to go to the Exploratorium and Beach Blanket Babylon sounds great. Should we leave the kids at the hotel to do BBB? My husband will be in business meetings during the days so I will be out and about with the kids. I am open minded and interested in all comments re: itinerary and want to know what else I should include as we make our loop!
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 02:56 PM

Wow! You have done your homework and have planned a great trip. Not much to add since you are going to be real busy.

One thing not to miss is Glacier Point in Yosemite. Do it on your way to Wawona.

And on the drive up to Big Sur, there's a great picnic area at Sand Dollar Beach and you must stop at Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park for the view of a waterfall that flows into a beautiful cove.

I'm not sure about the Sutro Baths. I'm assuming you read about them in this forum but I haven't been there in 20 years. At that time, it was kind of a gay meeting place. I'm sure its been fixed up.

You don't say when you are traveling but almost anytime is good for your itinerary. I hope you have good weather on the coast.
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 09:15 PM

Santa Cruz lunch suggestions.

Get to Pacific Avenue, the pretty, tree-lined main street. Stroll the length of it and choose the sidewalk cafe which pleases you the most.

If you like Italian Deli, start at Zoccoli's at the top of Pacific Avenue nearest the Town Clock. If you like more choices, go across the street to Lulu's. Down the street you can find kiosks with various choices. Hot dogs, etc, just down from Bookshop Santa Cruz. In the next block next to the New Leaf Market, a really good kind of vegetarian/healthy..and just beyond it, a Mexican kitchen which is not open very much. The last two share a nice sidewalk cafe space. Then there is Rosie's Irish Pub, upstairs. Good food. Next down is Pizza My Heart and Acapulco, Mexican food, and Aqua Bleu, pretty fancy and not so good service. Next is Hoffman's Bakery Cafe. Good. And next to it, Kianti's, pizza and pasta. Interesting pizza choices, like toppings including gorgonzola cheese....yum.

This leaves out the choices on the side streets. I cant remember the name of the street, even though I live here, but there is 99 Bottles of Beer...great hamburgers, and the Walnut Avenue Cafe.

Duh !! they are on Walnut Street, obviously.

Now, my very favorite lunch place is Los Pinos. This is a family run Mexican restaurant on North Pacific, just north of the Town Clock. Our favorite is soft tacos....al pistor....with lemonade. When we walk in they bring us the salsa and chips and the lemonade and start preparing our tacos.

Your trip sounds great. Have fun.
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 09:21 PM

It's a weekend, so you may not get too many responses. Do top this post Monday morning!

It looks like you have a pretty solid plan.

Since you will be staying at Pfeiffer Big Sur, you probably want to hike Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park. Check at the ranger station to see which hike will most suit your skills. Lots of interesting hikes.Don't know your hiking skills, but wear sensible shoes and layer your clothing.

Just slightly south of Pfeiffer Big Sur Park is Nepenthe (along the coast whereas Pfeiffer Big Sur is inland). Even if you don't eat at their cafe you should stop just for the view.

Heading north, I'd suggest that you give yourselves a bit more time at the Monterey Bay Aquarium and in Monterey itself. If you must head north for lunch, try googling the Shadowbrook Restaurant in Capitola.

If you head for San Francisco along the coast, there are still other places to stop and enjoy a seaside town or the view. Highway 1 is a great way to arrive in SF.

In San Francisco itself, try the Hyde Street Pier which will be close to where you will be staying at Fisherman's Wharf. Lots of information about San Francisco's maritime past as well as lots of different kinds of boats and ships to visit. If you type in "San Francisco Maritime Park" in the search function here in the US forum, you'll see a review I wrote recently on the SF M Park.

For kids, try the Metreon, especially if your kids are boys. It's on Fourth and Mission. A lot of high tech stuff to drool over, some interesting electronic games, such as the bowling (!), and even some good quick-restaurant food.

Keep the car for at least one day and drive across the Golden Gate Bridge, or around the Presidio, or possibly along the "49 Scenic Route" (just follow the signs). If you arrive on a Saturday or Sunday, street parking should be free - I can't say for the entire length of the Fisherman's Wharf area. Maybe you could check with your hotel.

In the Presidio, you'll want to walk around George Lucas's Digital Arts Center which is built on the site of the old Letterman's Hospital. It's near the Lombard Street gate to the Presidio.

Also in the Presidio, if you drive along Lincoln Blvd, you'll be afforded many great views of the Golden Gate Bridge as well as the entrance to San Francisco Bay.

Cliff House is a great stop for lunch (cheaper prices than for dinner, almost same food). Ask for a window seat at The Bistro. The other restaurant downstairs is fancier, costs more, and the food is about the same in taste.

Well, it's almost bedtime for me and we're going hiking in Big Sur tomorrow morning. I'm certain other Fodorites will chip in with their good ideas.

Good luck with your planning and welcome to my neck of the woods!
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 09:50 PM

Wow. Great trip. Here are my thoughts.

Monday morning before you leave friends' house(?), listen to traffic report on 740 am, with map in hand. Note where any east bound big problems might be, and plan route across the Bay accordingly.

Oakdale is last medium-sized town on hwy 120 on way to yosemite, in case youneed to shop.

In Yosemite, don't leave food in your car. If it is a full moon, check out the falls in the evening. Stroll to the falls in the morning before breakfast and you'll have it mostly to yourselves. The new loop path is really well done.
Marisposa Grove is great. Try to walk from the parking lot up to it.

Montery Aquarium is amazing. The warf, just so-so. You could spend a bit more time in Monterey and stop for luch mid way between there and Santa Cruz, at Moss Landing. A real teeny town with a teeny real harbour. Phil's Fish Market is well worth a lunch stop for good seafood with local produce (artichokes, and much more). Very casual and a local favorite. http://www.philsfishmarket.com/

In SF, Your 18 year old may get a kick out of beach blanket babylon, and your 11 yr old may , too, depending on what they are used to at home. Then again, they may enjoy a night on their own at thehotel watching TV and playing video games! BBB is a campy hoot!

SF is great for walking and getting good exercise. The archives here will give you lots of choices. It depends on what you and your kids like, or want to see that you don't have at home. Art? Maritime museum - with boats?

If you drive over the GG, go up to Hawk Hill in the Marin Headlands, overlooking the bridge. If it is sunny you get a great view, and if it isn't you get a great feel for the SF fog!

It's been really chilly and brrrreezy here lately. So bring a wind-proof layer.

Also, for fining a specific type of restaurant in a given neighborhood, ask on chowhound.com.. A lot of SF folks frequent that site.

Have a great time, and come back again soon!