CajunStorm's March Oahu Kauai Trip

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CajunStorm's March Oahu Kauai Trip

Oahu and Kauai trip (from DFW) March 2-9, 2006

THUR, MAR 2:

After a series of unfortunate events with American Airlines we arrived in HNL at 4:20pm (over 4 hours later than planned). We arrived at the HALEKULANI through lots of traffic at 5:45pm. There we waited about 10 minutes before we were taken up to our lovely room 1662 (Diamondhead Ocean Front). We quickly admired the view (although with overcast weather). Then we freshened up for dinner (starving by now). We made it down to ORCHIDS restaurant(originally we had earlier reservations but AA screwed that up for us) around 6:30pm and were seated at a nice oceanfront table. The temperature was nice and the atmosphere of the restaurant was very relaxing. The service was very good and so was the food:

• Bread basket with apricot-cream-cheese butter as a spread
• Ahi and King Crab Roll appetizer
• Charbroiled Ahi Steak
• Filet Mignon and Lobster Tail

As a personal touch, the server brought 2 spicy sauces (Garlic and Red Pepper) with my meal when I told him that I love spicy food. I was delighted with both!

FRI, MAR 3:

We got to DIAMONHEAD around 6:15am (opened at 6) and started the hike to the top. It was a cloudy morning but we were still rewarded with a colorful sunrise through the clouds once we got to the top. Surprisingly, there was already a huge group of people at the top.

We got back to the Halekulani at 8am and ordered room service breakfast which turned out to be very good:

• Belgium waffle with strawberries, whipped cream and coconut syrup
• Scrambled eggs, Portuguese sausage and bread basket

We checked out of the hotel and were on the road for our CIRCLE ISLAND DRIVE by 10:30am. We stopped at HANAUMA BAY to take some photos. It was $1 to park unless you leave within 15 minutes of parking (then it’s free). Luckily, the sun had come out while we were there. It was very crowded there but the bay was gorgeous. I vowed to return to Oahu on another trip so I could snorkel there soon.

Back on our drive we took photos of more beaches and offshore islands along the way and drove all the way to the park to see the PALI LOOKOUT. I must mention that one awesome effect from the rains was that there were waterfalls on the mountains everywhere! On the way, one lane of Pali Highway was closed due to a mud/rock slide. When we entered the park, one of the gates was partially closed. We quickly found out why when a police officer waved us down, told us that the park was closed due to weather and asked us to turn around. We were so disappointed! When we got back to the highway, we grimly noticed that they had just completely closed down Pali highway in the direction that we needed to go to get back to our circle drive. We ended up doubling back around past Hanauma Bay to get back to our drive.

It wasn’t raining but it was completely overcast again. Since it was so cloudy and we had lost time on our drive we skipped some beach stops and went to the BYODO-IN TEMPLE. This was a neat place with beautiful surroundings.

Back on our circle drive, we saw emergency vehicles, construction vehicles and news vans everywhere due to the bad weather happenings! I even saw some of the flooded homes (being from New Orleans originally I can sympathize with those poor people). I was too shocked at the damage to think about taking photos of anything (sorry). We made a stop at LAIE POINT to get a photo of the SEA ARCH. I kept wishing that the sun had been out to see the beautiful water colors.

Around 12:30pm we stopped at GIOVANNI’S SHRIMP TRUCK for lunch. Joe had the Garlic Shrimp and I had the Hot Shrimp (came with disclaimer of no refunds). It was pretty good (although very potent) for $12 per plate. It didn’t come close to being as good as my favorite New Orleans staple of boiled crawfish or shrimp though.

Along the way, we watched some surfers at ‘EHUKAI BEACH PARK. We also stopped at PU’UUMAKULU HEIAU. The Oahu Revealed guide book says there is a wonderful view from there, but we didn’t see anything worthwhile (maybe due to the weather) up there.

We had enough time for a very brief stop at the DOLE PLANTATION. I tried a pineapple ice cream cone (quite yummy and hit the spot) and bought some items in the shop (15% off for military btw).

We got to the rental car return around 4:30pm and checked into Hawaiian Air with no problems. We hopped on the 6:10pm flight to Lihue, Kauai. Once on KAUAI we were greeted with a light rain.

Once we got to the GRAND HYATT everything was fantastic. We got lei’s and a great upgrade deal at check-in. When we got to room 2058 (corner oceanfront suite) we knew we were in heaven. The room was huge and beautiful and orchids (one of my favs) were strewn everywhere in every room!

By now we were starved and got some room service:

• Pepperoni, Onion and Black Olive Pizza (great and very crunchy)
• Lilikoi Glazed Baby Back Ribs with onion rings (good)

SAT, MAR 4:

At 6am (opening time) I went to ANARA SPA and ran on the treadmill. There were quite a few people there but there was always at least one treadmill open the whole time. The facilities were very nice and the treadmills were some of the nicest I had ever used (very smooth, quiet with good displays).

When I got back to the room Joe had already ordered breakfast (perfect):

• Spicy Egg Frittata (delicious and big enough for 2 people)
• Breakfast in a basket (egg sandwich that we didn’t need in addition to the frittata)
• Guava juice

We spent the sunny morning relaxing on the enormous lanai and even saw whales. This was exciting as I had never seen whales prior to this trip! It became an obsession to stare at the ocean to catch a whale spout from then on.

Later on we drove to KILOHANA PLANTATION for lunch at GAYLORD’S. It was delicious as usual:

• Crabmeat and Asparagus Dip
• Spicy Teriyaki Blackened Ahi Sandwich
• Lava Flow

After lunch we drove over to OPAEKA FALLS LOOKOUT. The falls were unusually large thanks to the recent rainfall. We checked out the beginning of the hiking trail to the bottom of the falls (mentioned in the Ultimate Kauai guidebook). It was a “duh” moment when we saw the impassable stream (thanks to the rain again). Maybe we’d come back to this adventure on another trip!

We also stopped at WAILUA FALLS. The entire lookout and the entrance to the hiking trail (which we’d hiked on a prior trip) were all fenced off and under construction. The tiny “opening” in the fence for visitors to take photos was rather pathetic. There also was a sign for “NO VENDING” posted.

We got back to the Hyatt and relaxed for a while. Joe enjoyed a vanilla smoothie from the pool bar.

For dinner we drove over to LEMONGRASS GRILL. This was a huge mistake. There was no sushi. We were informed that the sushi chef had quit months ago. The service was just ok (for not being crowded at all). The food was bland and mediocre. I’d even compare it to a cafeteria. As a matter of fact the only good food was the green onion and cilantro biscuits. We ate:

• Crab cakes
• Crabmeat Stuffed Shrimp with veggies
• Steak and garlic shrimp with veggies
• The strongest lave flow in my life

I got such a bad buzz off of the Lava Flow that I almost hurled after dinner! I do NOT recommend this restaurant at all.

In the evening the weather was cloudy and around 72 degrees. It had gotten up to 78 during the sunny day though (very nice IMO).

SUN, MAR 5:

We awoke to a gorgeous sunrise and delicious in-room breakfast. We spent another morning relaxing on the lanai. This time we saw a helicopter dropping people in the water near a boat (rescue operations practice maybe).

We drove to the north and stopped at KILAUEA LIGHTHOUSE. Today’s weather was the most beautiful yet – sunny and 78 degrees all day long! The views from the lighthouse were fantastic as usual. We tried to spot whales but didn’t see any although others said they saw them earlier. On the way back to our car we stopped to watch about 7 or 8 nene’s crossing the sidewalk – a very comical sight!

After shopping in the Kong Lung Center we headed north and stopped at the HANALEI VALLEY LOOKOUT. There were waterfalls in all the mountains. We’d never seen it look so beautiful.

We stopped at the HANALEI DOLPHIN for lunch around 12:30. It was crowded so we were seated in the patio area instead of outside. Service was ok but the food was awesome:

• Lilikoi Iced Tea
• Spicy Ahi Roll
• Cajun Blackened Ahi sandwich

Although sushi was not on the lunch menu they gladly brought some to us (from the market side of the restaurant). We really enjoyed our lunch there and wished we could’ve eaten there every day (if it were a lot closer to the Hyatt).

We stopped at HAENA BEACH (Tunnels Beach parking was completely full) for a while to enjoy the nice weather. I totally love being out in the water with those mountains in view at all times.
After some shopping and hotel relaxing we went to TIDEPOOLS for dinner. This has been one of our favs in the past and it did not disappoint us this time. Our service and dinner was great:

• Crab, Lobster and Mango Rice Crab Cakes
• Seafood Mixed Grill
• Soy, Ginger Ahi with Black Bean Rice
• Brownie Nut Sundae

MON, MAR 6:

I went to ANARA SPA and ran on the treadmill again (had to burn off some of the tons of calories I planned on consuming this week!). Room service breakfast was good again.

That morning we enjoyed the pools. I got on the waterslide several times (biggest “kid” doing it that day). It was perfectly sunny and 80 degrees (don’t ask how we got lucky with this weather).

We had a good room service lunch later on:

• Mahi Mahi sandwich
• Chocolate Mousse Cake

After napping on the lanai we headed to Pt Allen for our 2:30pm check-in at HOLOHOLO CHARTERS for our SUNSET NAPALI CRUISE. Our full tour departed at 3pm. The catamaran was nice with plenty of seating areas. The ride out to Napali was fairly smooth until we got closer to the Napali coast. Even then it wasn’t that bad to me (but I love roller coasters fyi). We even “caught air” a couple of times. We weren’t hungry so I can’t comment on the food but it looked like everyone was enjoying the food on the tour (wraps, fruit, juices and beer). We saw dolphins, sea turtles, flying fish and 2 whales on the way out to Napali. So the best seats were on the left side of the boat at that time (to see the marine life). The boat didn’t slow down until we go to the turnaround point. I’m not sure how far we got along the Napali coast. At this time we cruised slowly along the coast and the tour guide gave us interesting facts. So now that left hand seat was really good for getting the coastal pictures. It was partly sunny so the views were awesome. After the Napali coast ends and the boat picks up speed for the return to port I highly recommend sitting on the inside – we got drenched from overspray. When we got to port, we stopped to watch the sunset. The tour guides said that it was the first sunset they had seen in 3 weeks! How lucky for us!

We were worn out and had some room service for dinner at the Hyatt that night.

TUES, MAR 7:

We awoke to another pretty sunrise and enjoyed our usual morning of whale-watching on our lanai after breakfast.

Around 10:30am we decided to go to WAIMEA CANYON. On the way up all the lookouts were clear and sunny. WAIPOO FALLS even looked full and gorgeous. But the KALALAU LOOKOUT was covered with clouds. We couldn’t see beyond the nearby bushes. The view opened up a little but it was nothing like what we’d seen on our last trip. The road to the last lookout was closed (again) so we headed down.

We got to WAIMEA BREWING CO around 12:30pm and sat on the front porch. Our Plantation Nachos and Ahi Poke Wrap were just ok. It didn’t seem as great as last time to me but Joe thought it was still just as good. Maybe I was comparing it to Hanalei Dolphin (which I loved).

We then stopped at the next LAPPERT’S ICE CREAM. Joe got Mint Chocolate Chip and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough. I got Hana Road (Rocky Road with mac nuts). We parked near the HANAPEPE SWINGING BRIDGE and enjoyed the ice cream. After crossing the bridge, we shopped around in Hanapepe. We looked in some art stores but loved the Antique Map store: Kauai Fine Arts. Joe was in heaven as they had lots of Captain Cook art work in there.

After returning to the Hyatt we watched whales from our lanai again. This time we saw FOUR of them together! A little tour boat went right up to them and they went out of view shortly after that (bummer).

At 5:30pm we went to TIDEPOOLS for dinner. It was very good again:

• Surf and Turf
• Swordfish
• Trilogy of Brulees (Coffee, Pineapple and Lilikoi)

WED, MAR 8 (LAST DAY):

We had another beautiful sunrise. We decided to try the breakfast buffet this time. Unfortunately it wasn’t nearly as good as room service and was more expensive (since we had been splitting meals at breakfast) - $25 per person. But I always enjoy sitting at the ocean-front table to watch the swans swim around in the nearby pond.

Later on we went to the NATIONAL TROPICAL BOTANICAL GARDEN and paid $20 per person for the 9:30am MCBRYDE GARDEN TOUR. You definitely need bug spray like Deep Woods Off and some bottled water while on this tour. A small van drives about 20 minutes to get you into the gardens and then you’re on your own to hike the variety of trails. There was only one other couple on the tour with us. Once we got out we never ran into them again actually! The gardens were really beautiful and interesting. We caught the 11am ride back (only because we didn’t have time before check out) to the visitor center.

Back at the Hyatt we ended up bringing our bags down ourselves because it was at least a 20 minute wait for bag pick-up that morning (note this for next trip!)!

After shopping at POIPU SHOPPING VILLAGE we went back to GAYLORD’S RESTAURANT for lunch (yes, our bags were fine in the car all this time). Lunch was great again:

• Ribs (spicy-tobasco) with onion rings
• Teriyahi Ahi Sandwich (blackened)
• Pineapple and Raspberry Iced Teas
• Chocolate Decadence (best dessert of the whole trip)

Today the weather had been mostly cloudy. From here we went to the airport and returned home.

AFTERTHOUGHT NOTES:

The Halekulani on Oahu was very nice. I highly recommend it and Orchids restaurant.

Honolulu is a big city with lots of traffic and construction (some was going on across from our hotel). I’m also glad we were in Oahu before the sewage leaks occurred (we really didn’t go on any beaches during our day there) even though it was cloudy. I definitely want to return to this island in the dryer season as there were many things I still want to do there.

The Grand Hyatt in Kauai always makes our stay wonderful. I honestly could’ve stayed there the rest of the month!

I am not sure how we got so lucky with the weather. We were in Kauai sort of “in between” the rounds of bad weather – after the weeks of heavy rain but before the dam broke. As usual I still want to return to this island many times in the future since it feels like I never get enough of it!

Pictures:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/txcaju.../ph//my_photos

Old Apr 25th, 2006, 12:56 PM

A great report as usual!

Mahalo.

-Bill
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 12:59 PM

What a great review, CajunStorm! Love the pictures. It looks as though you had more sun then we did. We arrived March 25, when all the sewer problems happened. Unfortunatly, we didn't get to see as much of the island as we wanted. I would love to go back one day, but they're too many places to see in this big world.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 04:52 PM
iceeu2

Thanks for sharing your vacation and beautiful photos with us again! You are such a handsome, happy couple.

Aloha....i'2

Old Apr 25th, 2006, 06:01 PM

Cajun - I really enjoyed your Hawaii report. And the pictures are terrific as well. Thanks for the trip!

Old Apr 25th, 2006, 06:36 PM

Thanx for a great report and photos Cajun. We will be on Kauai in 30 days so I am sure that I will be looking at your report numerous times in the next few weeks.
8-)
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 07:05 AM
Kal

=D> =D> =D> =D>

Bravo! I could smell Kauai!

We loved the crab/artichioke dip at Gaylord's. Our good friend works there so it was our first stop on the island...I think even before we checked in since we hadn't had b'fast on Oahu.
The fresh Poke with chili flakes also was ono.

Sad to hear about Lemongrass. We did't eat there this last trip for the first time since it opened up about 5 or so yrs ago. It was always hit/miss service wise but we always loved the food.

Waimea Brew Pub nui nachooooooos and splitting of a ahi wrap washed down by a glass of Wally ale was a westside staple for the Kal's for years.

We keep threatening to stay at The Cottages so we could really enjoy ourselves...one of these days!

You're our 2nd fave Kauai couple...the adorable I'2s are 1st!

Thx for the Kauai "fix".
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I'm just glad I could entertain and hope to help give people ideas too.

Wow! We're #2 for Kal's Kauai Couples! Do I get a plane ticket back to Kauai for that??!

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Kal

C'storm,
Thx for using a "C" for the word "Couples"!

We haven't had a meal at Tidepools in over 10yrs and it may be time to go back.
It just seems like as soon as we step off the plane, we "Go Kauaian" and figger' Poipu is "such a long drive".

and if you ever go back to Gaylord's find out if the lovely Karen is working the bar and see if she can make you a "Sand Bar Mai Tai" or the imfamous "Wiki Waki Woo".
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 04:22 PM

Kal,
What about Martin and me? Chopped liver?
-Bill
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Kal

Billlaaayyyy...too hairy! 8-)
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 04:55 PM

eeww...hairy liver?

I'll be in hula-land (Waikiki--sorry, no Kauai this time) in a little over a week. What's this about a Wiki Waki Woo? Sounds like something I'll need after tasting chicken feet!
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Kal

kopppahhhhhh.
"The Woo" is native only to The Islander on the Beach's Infamous Sand Bar.

Kinda like The Hurricane and Pat O'Brien's.

Since The S'Bar is STILL shut down, the lovely lady is working the bar at Gaylord's, sooooooo.

All I know is Longhi's in Hono at Ala Moana Shopping Center had a VERY good happy hour with intesresting drinks that MelissaHI, Mr and Mrs Kuranosuke and us slurpped down....with a nice sunset view and good pupus.

I would think you'd need kerosene after ~gt; feet.
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 03:18 AM
Original Poster

I had to move my photos so I thought I'd repost the link for anyone looking up old info. Sorry that I haven't had a chance to add comments back into the photos yet (that's what happens when you have a 7 month old baby!)...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/txcajun...7601175807025/