Cajun Country Help Needed

Nov 1st, 2003, 02:04 PM
Wm
Original Poster

Cajun Country Help Needed

We plan to travel to Louisiana late April and early May '04. We will be in NOLA for the end of the Jazz Fest until Mon, 5/6. We want to explore Cajun Country so plan to stay centrally located in Breaux Bridge (staying at the Cajun Country Cottages--good idea?). We will be there from Monday PM departing Sunday AM to fly home from NOLA to Calif. We have been to Louisiana in the past. Stayed in NOLA and took tours to antebellum homes and a swamp tour. We don't like to be super-busy but don't want to miss anything special in the area. Here are a few places we thought we'd like to visit: Avery Isl for the garden, Abbeville, Martinville, New Iberia, Vermilionville, and, maybe St. Francisville if it isn't too out-of-the way. Please suggest some "shouldn't miss" places/things to visit. Appreciate any help from you "experts."

Wm
Nov 1st, 2003, 05:46 PM
Ally75

The places you've listed are all very nice. However, you may want to consider staying in Lafayette because it is closer to most of the places you want to visit. Only by about 10 miles closer than Breaux Bridge, but, still, keeps you off I-10. Breaux Bridge has a really nice old town area and a great restaurant whose name escapes me at the moment--I can find out and post it later. St. Francisville is a bit out of the way, being about 30 miles north of Baton Rouge on Highway 61. Still, if you wanted to see Baton Rouge, you could get to St. Francisville in about 45 minutes--it would be about 1 and a half to 2 hours from Lafayette/ Breaux Bridge. The Festival International in Lafayette is VERY good, but I think a week or so earlier than you will be there--the 3rd or 4th weekend in April.

Nov 2nd, 2003, 04:40 PM
Wm
Original Poster

Ally,

Thanks for your response. We wanted to stay in Breaux Bridge for the quiet. We are in the habit of returning to our lodging mid- to late-afternoon, relax on the porch and then out to dinner. Would love to know the name of that restaurant. Do you know of any quiet places to nearer Lafayette?

Wm
Nov 2nd, 2003, 05:08 PM
Ally75

Dear Wm--I finally remembered the restaurant: Cafe Des Amis. Delicious food and great, funky artwork all around. The entrees are in the $10-$20 range, average, I'd say. Sorry to say I don't know of any quiet places in Lafayette. You sound as if you're familiar with the area and if you know the Cajun Country Cottages that's good. You could write or email the Louisiana Tourist board and get a list of B&B's for Acadiana. Just do a search for Lafayette on the internet and go from there. (You'd think someone who lives in the area could think of these things quicker, couldn't you! But, I live in Baton Rouge and need to visit Acadiana more myself!!)

Nov 2nd, 2003, 05:56 PM
Ally75

Ok, Wm, here's the tourist info. The Louisiana Tourism office phone number is 800-40-GUMBO and the website is LouisianaTravel.com Hope this helps!

Nov 11th, 2003, 08:35 AM
Wm
Original Poster

Ally,

Thanks again for your help! Of those places I've listed to visit, which would you make a priority? Also, are there other "must do" things in this area?

Wm
Nov 11th, 2003, 10:15 AM

Wm-

Here's a few other tips:
Since you're going to be there on Saturday, check out the live radio broadcast from Fred's Lounge in Mamou - about 50 miles north of Lafayette. Starts at 9 am, ends at noon - we listened to it on the radio on our way to Mamou. Good Cajun music, commentary in French, lots of folks dancing and drinking beer on Saturday morning.
Also on Saturday, the Rendez Vous Des Cajuns is broadcast on radio and TV from the Liberty Theater in Eunice - between Mamou and Lafayette. The Liberty is a big old theater with the front rows removed for dancing. They usually have a couple of bands and sometimes a comedian. The whole thing is bi-lingual, although I've always assumed the raunchiest parts are in Cajun French. The show is from 6 to 7:30 pm and costs about $5.
The Liberty is actually part of the Prairie Acadian Culture Center, which is part of Jean Lafite National Park. They have Cajun Music and cooking demonstrations on Saturday afternoons.
Check their website for details.
Other things we've enjoyed:
Tour of the Atchafalaya Basin and bayous out of Henderson (near Breaux Bridge); Eating and dancing at Mulate's in Breaux Bridge; Prejeans restaurant in Lafayette for food and music. K Paul Prudhomme's sister used to have a restaurant north of Lafayette (better cooking than her brother) but not sure it's there anymore.
Nov 11th, 2003, 12:08 PM

We've "done" NOLA and the Cajun country a couple of times. Agree that Lafayette's a good place to stay. You could visit both Avery Island (egret sanctuary and the Tabasco hot sauce factory) and Jefferson Island, 6 miles away. (I found the latter of more interest - fascinating history, house & public gardens, cafe with a view of the grounds & lake.) Also, the public broadcast of Cajun music in Eunice was lots of fun - even some of the little kids in the audience got up and started dancing to the toe tapping music. Mulatte's is fun too.
We liked eating at Copeland's in Lafayette (not terribly expensive but good). For some background on the Cajuns, visit Acadian Village, an historical theme park modeled on a 19th century Cajun town.
We love the town of St. Francisville, especially Rosedown Plantations & Gardens. However, we combined St. F. with a trip to Baton Rouge.
Nov 11th, 2003, 12:25 PM
Dan

Thanks to all who've posted. You've given me (a New Orleans resident) some great ideas for day trips!