cabin rental for fall leaf viewing road trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I take my former conservationist Father on an annual trip...this year he wants to see the leaves turning in the Northeast...I have found several road trip options....plan to fly into Manchester...but would like help deciding the area to lease a quaint yet comfortable cabin/home to centralize our trip.....previous areas we loved were Niagra on the Lake, Vale, Colorado and Traverse City, Michigan....do you have a suggestion either a specific place you have stayed that I could check availability or an area I should look into...thank you so much....
This could be our last trip together as my father has developed a blood disease and I would like this to be extra special for him so I really appreciate all your help.
gdubkc
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 12:05 PM

I do not have a specific recommendation, but I would look at (Google) the Jackson, NH, area. You can range as far afield as mid-Vermont or well into Maine, and you are on the southern edge of the Mt Washington Range of the White Mountains.

Another possibility that might please him would be to stay at the Joe Dodge Center of the Appalachian Mountain Club in Pinkham Notch, NH. You stay in small bunk rooms with the bathrooms down the hall, but there is a wonderful library to read in and delicious family style breakfasts and lunches, as well as walks and hikes at all levels. Guests are of all ages, and you can be sure that they would share his interests.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the response....I will check both of these areas. do you have any thoughts on Lake Winnisquam or Lke Willoughby? I have found an Inn and several homes on the lake but am not sure if this is a less commercial area to make our base....again, I really appreciate your time.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 02:18 PM

www.birchpointcabins.com
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 03:06 AM

Lake Winnisquam is a fairly quiet lake. We rented there once and enjoyed a rustic cottage with fireplace. But, it's also in an area that is somewhat congested due to outlet mall and big box stores at exit 20 in Tilton and Rt 3 to Laconia/Lake Winnipesaukee area. The cottages would probably be fine since they can be miles away from Rt 3 but you would have to travel thru congestion to get wherever you are going.

If you can find something on the northern side of Lake Winnipesaukee (Moultonborough, Center Harbor, Wolfeboro) you will be closer to the mountains and in the quieter area of the Lake. Meredith is nice but busy. It is much quieter on the lake after the jet skis are put away for the season! This puts you closer to the mountains. Not far from the lake, Center Sandwich is one of the NH's prettiest small towns. We haven't been to the Remick Museum but see interesting events taking place there. A DeLorme Atlas and Gazetteer would help you explore NH since every road including seasonal ones are listed. Also location of waterfalls. You might want to visit Squam Lake Science Center in Holderness. Visit Sandwich Creamery, way off the beaten path.

Squam Lakes area would be great if you could find a rental there. There's no public beach. Quiet area. Very little commercial development.
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 06:21 AM

Also keep in mind that you are coming into this a bit late for the foliage season. Many places are booked a year in advance.

I'd agree the area around Lake Winnepausaukie would be a great choice, Meredith has a nice Inn right on the lake and there are a few small hotels and B&Bs too. A favorite restaurant is Harts Turkey Farm. There is a very nice local shop for local artists, and just about anywhere you go you'll see Annalee Dolls, the factory is in Meredith.
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the new suggestions...we definitely do not want a busy commercial area such as the outlet malls...can you tell me the suggested timing for leaf viewing? also will it be cool so a fireplace in the cabin/rental home be a good idea?
Is Manchester the best airport to fly into? again, I really appreciate all your input.
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 03:24 AM

MHT is definitely the best choice but go with whatever is the best deal. Boston might be cheaper depending on what airline you use and where you are coming from. It is about an hour south of MHT. MHT is still a fairly small airport. It's located near Rt 101 which runs EW and connects to both Rt 293 and Rt 93. It doesn't matter which way you go, they merge north of Manchester. Rt 293 is the oldest section and runs along the west bank of the Merrimack River. You can see the old mill buildings that have been turned into offices and restaurants. Really nice area now.
You might want to take a look at a foliage map. It starts slow and continues for a couple of weeks. Frankly, I never know when peak is but after Columbus Day it seems to be going downhill in the Concord NH area which is an hour south of the lakes/mountains. I would aim for first week of October. Plan to drive the Kancamagus Hwy mid-week, not on weekends. It's been a very very dry summer and I am already starting to see hints of color in a few trees. The red swamp maples turn first but branches on old trees or dying trees color extra early. A friend with a place north of the mountains claims color can really come on overnight. Color might be early because of the droughty conditions we're having.
Mornings lately have been in the 40s and 50s, days in the 80s. Evenings can cool off quickly. 4th of July weekend we needed jackets one evening around the campfire but not the second night. You might want a fire to take the chill off if you rent a place that's not insulated and don't want to run the heat. Depends on how cool you like it for sleeping. DH loves fireplaces and campfires. You won't need a fireplace.

If color comes early this year, you can easily travel someplace else. Turn a corner, go over a hill, it can be different.
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 03:53 AM

You can check out the yankee magazine to judge the best time. http://www.yankeefoliage.com

I've stayed in Lincoln, NH and that location served as a good base for touring the area. We stayed in a condo, so I have no suggestions on cottages. You could try checking out VRBO.com for house rentals in that area. By late Sept/early October, nights get pretty cool so a fireplace is a good idea.

Have a great time.
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the VRBO.com suggestion....great source and have contacted several individuals....will definitely use this site again.
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 11:57 AM

Timing is everything with foliage. The first two weeks of October are usually great depending on what part of the state you're in. The first week of October is generally better for the White Mountains, whereas the second week is better for the Lakes Region, although great color usually lasts a few more days beyond that as well. One of the reasons why Columbus Day weekend is so popular for leaf-peeping is because there is usually still fantastic color in the lower elevations of the mountains as well as in the Lakes Region.

As far as the White Mountains go, I would avoid North Conway - it's known for outlet shopping and gets way too congested on Columbus Day weekend. Lincoln also gets a bit busy but not quite as much; Woodstock would be a much quieter alternative, and Jackson wouldn't be so bad considering its good location. Bartlett would be a good choice as well.

The towns north of the Notches (Sugar Hill, Bethlehem, Twin Mountain, etc.) are also quieter, but the foliage in these areas tends to peak a bit earlier (they'll almost definitely be past peak by the end of the first week in October) - just something to keep in mind.

There are also some great locations in the Lakes Region that would allow you easy access to the mountains as well. The Squam Lake (from the film "On Golden Pond") area (Sandwich, Holderness) is very beautiful and peaceful. You might also consider something on the eastern side of Lake Winnipesaukee (Moultonborough, Tuftonboro, Wolfeboro). Another option is Newfound Lake (Bristol, Bridgewater, Hebron), which is slightly more off the beaten path but definitely beautiful.
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your suggestions....I will look on the VRBO site immediately with the quieter beautiful locations that you have mentioned...this is very helpful. I am much more encouraged by the responses from this forum. Being from the Midwest, I had no idea where to begin looking.
Have a great evening.