Reload this Page >

CA energy crunch- affecting travel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 05:47 PM
Bill

I'm planning a vacation this summer to CA and was wondering what others think about how the energy crunch will effect travel there. I heard Marriott is charging an extra $2.50 per day surcharge to cover energy costs. Any opinions?

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 09:45 PM
CA Native

To my knowledge it isn't affecting anything. Sure, it is somewhat embarrassing for the sixth largest economy in the world to be perceived like a third-world country that has trouble keeping the lights on. But the power alerts have diminished. Here in the So. CA desert resorts area we did not experience any rolling blackouts whatsoever. Seems to have affected No. CA the most. There are numerous Marriott properties here but I have not heard or read anything of what you describe. Not saying that it isn't true, just haven't heard of it.

Fact is, at this point the state is already purchasing power under longer-term contracts. So the immediate situation is stabilized. While the solution to the cause of the mess will likely (1)necessitate construction of additional generating facilities, (2) change the way power is bought, sold and distributed in the state, (3) result in higher power bills and(4, result in public debt burden to cover the operating losses of two major power distributors, we have hardly noticed any difference in our daily lives.

So if this is a serious question, my short answer would be, "no effect."

Maybe some other CA residents would care to comment on their own experience.

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 02:41 AM
Cal

I think that you have done a good job of explaining the situation. Though we had some rolling blackouts in Northern California a few weeks back, they were really not very disruptful. I never lost my electricity and we live in the SF Bay area.

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 07:29 AM
Emily

At the height of the scare, my hair salon temporarily raised all its prices by $1 as an "energy surcharge". That's the only effect the crisis has had on me in San Diego.

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 09:45 AM
Thyra

Here in Hollywood (most all of Los Angeles) we are under the Department of Water and Power, we never deregulated and we have been selling power to No. Cal (trade ya for water?) we experienced no disruption whatsoever.

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 10:44 AM
Lori

http://www.latimes.com/travel/storie...000014636.html

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 04:10 PM
kam

I don't think it's affected too much, but the cost of gasoline is going up again. That's probably a sign that Spring is around the corner and you tourists are coming back! I wouldn't worry about the black outs. We had a few but they were minimal inconvenience. We do, however, have to change some of our ways to conserve this summer. Those people who leave one or two TVs on without viewers are going to have to reevaluate.