CA destination wedding suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 11:55 AM
Becca

Hello,(sorry this is long)
I am from texas and want to plan a very small, intimate wedding (about 20 people max) in California. I do not necessarily need to have the wedding at our accomodations.
My fiance proposed in Napa Valley, so we thought about having it somewhere in the wine country...however I want all of our guests to have a good time and we will have a 13 year old girl (with no other children to play with) not to mention several non drinkers and several people who are not really into wine. I am concerned that the 13 year old (my future sister in law) will be somewhat bored and i really want her to have a great time.
My next thought was somewhere on the coast..somewhere scenic with things to do during the day for everybody (the guys could play volleyball, the girls could shop or hang out at the pool, the 13 year old could hang out at the pool or the beach...). From what i have read, Santa Barbara sounds great. I have also heard nice things about Laguna Beach. I was initially scared about planning something near the beach (like the Cayman Islands) because my fiance is too hot natured, but it sounds like the climate on the cali coast is perfect almost all throughout the year.
So, do you have any suggestions about places? I am open to anything right now because we just got engaged and we are in no rush. I just went to the Bacara website and something like that would be perfect but it is a little too pricy (starting at 500 a night for rooms, is that correct?..However, if anyone has stayed there, please let me know).
Also out of curiousity, do you agree with my concerns about having it in the wine country? I know there are more things to do then drink wine, but that is one of the highlights. Plus it is not a very teen friendly place.
Most of my family and friends have not really experienced California before, so i want it to be a really good time and showcase my favorite state! Since we have chosen to do this instead of having a huge wedding, I really want it to be nice.Bacara seems perfect, but that is probably a little out of my price range. We have insisted on paying for the majority of the accomodations and all the wedding arrangements. Thank you so much.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 12:01 PM
Cali

The wine country would be boring if you're not a wine drinker or you're a teenager. No reason to drag 20 people to California to have a bad time.

Santa Barbara is lovely. The Barcara is actually not all that great and definitely not worth the money. Santa Barbara has a beach, wineries, shopping, etc.

San Diego (Coronado Island or La Jolla) would be another memorable place for fun in the sun with plenty of romance as well.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 12:22 PM
Olivia

The first thought I had was Coronado Island-----so I concur with Cali Girl. I would 86 the Napa idea with your guest list, I don't hink it would be fun. Santa Barbara is beautiful but could be a bit chilly. The San Diego area has the best/stable weather in Cali. Perfect to plan a wedding and I think your knew sis-in-law would have plenty to do. Go wtih Coronado, it is very romantic and the weather is great! Congrats!

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 12:33 PM
lynette

Hi Becca, Santa Barbara has it all! For nice accomadations a bit less pricey than Bacara, try the Four Seasons Biltmore! Santa Barbara has great beach volleyball, State Street has lots of shops and restaurants, and wineries are just north in Santa Ynez. July through October would be the best weather here.
Other hotel suggestions would be the El Encanto Hotel or the San Ysidro Ranch (JFK and Jackie honeymooned there!)Google around and see what you like. Congratulations!

Lynette

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 09:45 PM
tina

The fact that a famous couple honeymooned there 40+ years ago doesn't mean that it's a great place now.

I'd go with Coronado Island.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 08:55 AM
katie

The only downside to Coronado is that you risk having navy jets taking off and landing during your ceremony and reception, and they are LOUD. Personally, I think Laguna Beach would be lovely, and the 13 year-old would have stuff to do there too.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 10:26 AM
SA

I feel I must intercede, wine country is lovely & there are many good places for weddings. I would recommend Ferrari-Carrano or Ledson. & perhaps the bride & groom could leave by hot-air balloon ?

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 11:07 AM
x

What about La Jolla near San Diego. It's a beautiful place and there are a variety of hotels out there. If some people want to do some wine tasting, Temecula can be done as a day trip. There's great shopping and nice beaches there as well.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 08:34 PM
kam

Hotel Del (Coronado)in San Diego would be great for everyone. There is also the Santa Inez Valley in north Santa Barbara Co. which offers wine tasting as well as some history and horses, if that appeals to your future sister in law. Laguna Beach would be great fun for all (would recommend the Surf and Sand Hotel) Forget about Barcara and El Encanto in Santa Barbara would be boring for the 13 y.o. Congrats.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 10:30 AM
Bob

THE MISSION RANCH would be great. It is located in Carmel overlooking the ocean in a very scenic area.

They have weddings on the lawn or indoors. There is a casual restaurant, room for a reception and rooms for all the guests. It is a historic site also.It used to be the site of a dairy and some of the buildings are from that era and restored. Tennis courts on the grounds also. Owned by Clint Eastwood.

Everyone would have plenty to do on the Monterey Peninsula visiting Carmel, Monterey and Pacific Grove plus driving down Big Sur coast and you cannot beat the location for a small wedding.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 10:58 AM
John

A couple of thoughts -

I didn't catch what time of year you're planning on, but the coast can be chilly and cloudy at times - watch out for the "June Gloom" in much of southern California for example. Still, for some fun oceanside ideas, check out http://www.latimes.com/extras/weddings/newlife_coasting.html

Another thought was to have the wedding in the Garden Court in the Palace Hotel in San Francisco - one of the world's great rooms. http://www.gardencourt-restaurant.com/ Costly but maybe you could book the rooms on Priceline ;-)

Happy planning!

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 11:21 AM
Sue

Pasadena -- The Ritz Carlton!

Lots to do in Pasadena....Huntington Library, beautiful walking trails, and great hotel to hang out in. The brunch there is amazing and you could have your ceremony outdoors. The photos will be priceless!

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 03:30 PM
me

Try a Disney wedding package.the have links at there web site and with so much available to do there should be something for everyone imho good luck

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 10:30 PM
Becca

Thank you so much all of you for all the help. I will let you know what we decide!