Buying wine at Duty free

Search

Buying wine at Duty free

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying wine at Duty free

We are flying UK to LAX via Detroit before boarding a cruise from San Pedro.

Do US duty free stores supply 3 litre boxes of wine which we plan to take on board or should we buy it before we leave the UK?

Checked the product list at Detroit duty free, no wine mentioned, just spirits.

Any help appreciated
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 07:02 AM

You should check with your cruise line to see if they will allow you to bring wine/liquor with you on board. Most cruise lines do not allow you to carry on.

Curious
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 07:14 AM
J62

3 liters of boxed wine aren't yet a popular high value 'for export' item, which is what duty free shops are trying to sell. I would say chances of them even selling them are somewhere between slim and none.

I also don't believe you can buy duty free for a domestic flight - detroit to LAX, but I could be wrong on that point.

Many stores in CA are allowed to sell wine, so you will find these at any supermarket in LA, if you have chance before you embark on the cruise ship.

Whether the cruise line allows such items is a different question I won't touch.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

We just wrap the wine in bubble wrap and stick it in the suitcase, rather than put it in our hand luggage.

I think after what you've told me we'll buy it in the UK before we leave.

Thanks.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 08:40 AM

The cruise lines have a limit to what alcohol you bring on board; it may just be one bottle of wine. That's what we brought on a cruise last year. They may be willing to store your purchases for you and give it back to you at the end of the cruise. Likewise with alcohol you buy on board; you don't get it till the last night. They don't want you to have access to your own free alcohol thereby limiting your drink purchases on board. It is best to buy on your flight back.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 08:53 AM
J62

"It is best to buy on your flight back." Huh??

The OP's intent is to have some wine avail on the cruise for personal consumption. It seems to me that buying wine on the flight back would defeat that purpose.

If you read threads on the cruise board this topic comes up from time to time.

- do the cruise lines want to limit what you bring on board for consumption? Yes

- do they have rules about this? Most seem to, yes.

- do they check? some may, others may not.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 09:24 AM

It was not clear to me that they were buying the wine for personal consumption on board. It was open to interpretation to me that they thought there may be good deals on duty free and wanted to just buy for the deals. If that were the case, I was just saying buy on the way back. If that is not the case, then I'd say only buy what the cruise lines will allow. They run all luggage through xray and screening when I went on board and are likely to detect the extra bottles. Not worth it IMO, besides, they have wine tastings on board where you can buy wine by the bottle and have it stored and served for you at dinner at a reasonable price.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 11:40 AM
WannabeinaMontserrat

If they are looking to buy 3 litre boxes, there may be aome question as to whether or not what is contained within, could even qualify as wine. Your best bet is to buy at the first stop & perhaps take a bottle or two in luggage. Cruise lines want you to pay for their vastly over-priced bottles, not something you've brought along yourself. One of the many joys of cruising.

Old Jul 19th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Just to clarify - we always take a wine box (or two) on board in our suitcase. We have never had a problem with it being x-rayed and this is our 7th cruise.

I contend that with 2100 passengers and a tight window to get all that luggage on board the cruiselines simply don't have time to x-ray the luggage then have the hassle of getting the passengers to come down and verify whats in the case.

You have a fridge in the room to chill white wine and a glass or two of Chardonnay before dinner rather than paying $50 + 15% makes a huge saving over a 14 night cruise
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 12:48 PM

Duty free wine will not be a bargain, and won't be sold in boxes. IF you bring it from UK it will HAVE to be in your checked luggage.
YOu can undoubtedly buy it cheaper in LA, and much much better than anywhere else.
You will not be able to use duty free in Detroit-LAX anyway.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 07:59 PM

I'd just buy the wine in LA if you will have the time. California being a major wine producing region, we have a lot of good stuff available for a nice price. ANd you can buy wine just about anywhere - grocery stores, drug stores, etc.
Old Jul 20th, 2008, 04:27 AM

This is pretty confusing. You won't be able to buy anything at US duty free in DTW or LAX because you're not leaving the US. If you buy more than 3 ounces of wine in the UK, you'll have to pack it in your checked bag before you recheck in DTW, and I'll guess that you won't have room for a 3 liter box in there.