bus to New York from Boston

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 06:37 PM
lisa

bus to New York from Boston

looking for a decent bus "name" from Boston to New York City...with or without kids. thanks.

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 06:50 PM
Leslie

Peter Pan Bus Lines or Greyhound, they actually code share, and leave practically every hour in both directions. Both depart/arrive from the Port Authority (NYC)/South Station (Boston). Roundtrip fare is $79, but at some hours the rate is $40 roundtrip. You can find them both online, but Peter Pan has a better site. You can also buy your tickets online.

Check how long the ride is, as some buses stop in Hartford, Springfield, Worcester also. The 3.5 - 4 hour routes are usually direct. And, Peter Pan shows films while Greyhound doesn't. Also Peter Pan's buses seem to be newer or at least more comfortable.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 09:27 PM
lena

I used to go round trip NY-Boston once a month on average. Peter Pan and Greyhound operate as one company now and their service became progressively worse over the years while their price doubled. Their buses are dirty, smelly, the A/C is weak, and the staff is often very rude. I remember one bus driver was driving out from the rest stop while 10 people were running after it, and not stopping until other passengers yelled at him. The maintenance on the buses became so poor that at one point about 1 in 3 trips the bus would break down and we had to wait for another bus to pick us up.

I recommend the following bus companies operating out of Chinatown in both cities. Their departure points in Boston are very close to South Station. They have better prices ($15 or $25 ow depending on time of day) and service in my experience.

http://www.travelpackusa.com/bus-service.htm
Unless it's a holiday weekend you should be able to get a ticket if you just get there shortly before departure. You can see on schedule when they have a full size and then it's a smaller 28 person bus.

Another one is Fung Wah @ 68 Beach Str.,
Boston. 139 Canal str in NYC

http://www.sunshineboston.com/bustours/nyc/

If for some reason you're uncomfortable with these, I'd rather take Amtrak.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 02:36 AM
gail

Another option is the Dunkin Donut promo going on now - if you buy coffee (I think it is 2 pounds) you get a certificate for up to 2 people to fly Delta shuttle on weekends for $78 RT each.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 05:18 AM
Suzy

Why not take Amtrak. The Acela Express is very expensive BUT the other routes are far cheaper. I got a RT from Boston to NYC this summer for $78, kids go for half-price, and AAA members get 10 (or maybe 15) percent off.