Reload this Page >

Burlington, Vermont suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 11:36 AM
Sandra

Hi I'm planing on a trip to Burlington in late Sept with my husband a few friends. We are staying at the Lang House on Main Street. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on area attractions, restaurants, bars etc..? Also, if anybody has had any experience with Lang House? Thanks in advance for the help!

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 04:40 AM
Donna

There are dozens of appealing possibilities. You can walk to the Church Street Marketplace, full of restaurants and nightlife, or check the wealth of brochures and visitors maps available everywhere.

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 05:04 AM
GREG

Well, I went to Burlington last May and came away unimpressed. The restaurants we went to were good but not good enogh for reccommending. Church St. was the main attraction. It had several eateries, a Ben & Jerry's, a Boarders bookstore. I suggest side trips to the Vermont Teddy Bear Factory tour & Shelbune Farm. Both are located close to Burlington and are very good attractions.
Good luck, Greg

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 05:32 AM
bm

I spent four of my best years in Burlington while in college-it's a beautiful small city with a great music & arts scene, some good shopping & restaurants, and great scenery.
I'm not familiar with the Lang House, but Main Street is a great location. You are an easy walk to downtown. Church St. Marketplace is fun, however, over the past few years a lot of the independent stores moved out and the mall chain stores moved in. But it's still a great place to people watch, shop & eat. The bar scene is concentrated around the Main St/Church St. intersection. If you like the band "Phish", be sure to go to Nectars which is where they got their start. Upstairs from Nectars is a club that brings in some great bands. (Last I knew it was called Metronome, but I believe it's changed hands since I've been there).
As far as restaraunts, there are lots of choices. NECI Commons (New England Culinary Institute) is great! Other favorites are Bove's on Pearl St (for super casual, cheap, but good italian), Mona's, Sweetwaters, Leunigs, and 5 Spice. Hope this helps!

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 12:08 PM
juli

The Lang House is great. Restaurants in town that I'd recommend are Smokejack's and Leunig's. IMHO for dining beyond the pretty-good-but-not-oooh-ah try the Inn at Shelburne Farms in Shelburne or the Chelsea Grill in Stowe. The nightlife in Burlington is great esp. for music. Try Nectar's and Club Metronome.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 09:39 AM
Sandra

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm looking forward to my trip!

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 10:33 PM
stacey

I grew up in the area and loved it. It is a small city so be prepared to relax. Church Street is nice with the brick roads and cute stores. You need to go to the waterfront and watch the sun set over the lake. Also, there are a lot of great restaurants, just walk around. Bring a sweater as it ends to get chilly at night.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 06:24 AM
Erich

Hi Sandra,

Late September is prime foilage time,
take a few road trips, and see the real Vt., rent bikes, and use the bike path along the lake. Take a boat ride on "the spirit of Eathan allen". Also the canadian border is only 35 miles away if you have never been. Many things to do and see. Try Sakura if you like sushi. Email me if you want specific road trip reccomendations.

Regards, Erich

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 06:26 AM
Laura

Sandra,

Don't miss Shelburne Museum and Farms - it's defnitely a highlight!

Have a great time.

Laura