Reload this Page >

budget lodging - Charleston, SC area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 12:05 PM
Sherrie

Does anyone have any suggestions for economical, clean lodging in the Charleston area? Thank you.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 12:50 PM
Rosemary

The Quality Inn just across the river at Patriots Point. New and clean. It was easy to get into Charleston, and the Aircraft Carrier Yorktown and boats to Fort Sumter were nearby. We ate at the fish restaurants at Shem Creek.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 01:10 PM
x

Try Motel6 very clean and economical

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 02:21 PM
Sue

The new Wingate is advertising $69 a night, which looks like a great deal.
Of course it's about a 5 to 10 minute drive away. I heard the Sleep In is nice, too.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 04:50 AM
dan woodlief

The area across the bridge, as someone mentioned, is excellent for convenience and cost. Along with Patriots Point and the Sumter boats, it also puts you close to the beaches and Ft. Moultrie. There are several good seafood places and great ribs nearby, along with a grocery stores. You can just leave your car for the day in one of the parking decks near the old market or the visitor center when seeing the old town. Don't stay at the Red Roof Inn there, unless they have different staff than three years ago, which of course you have no way of knowing. The rooms were fine, but the staff was the worst I have seen, and there were several construction workers staying there; they tended to be noisy as they warmed up their trucks very early in the morning before heading out to work.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 05:21 AM
Gretchen

One positive thing that is happening is that at least 2 major airlines are recalling some of their furloughed personnel. This should translate into more flights and perhaps some possibility of some sales. But it also may just be supply and demand. I think it is a positive sign for the economy however.
The person that bid on Priceline with 3 days notice and was successful was just filling unsold seats--not proving that the posted rates are "bogus" It can happen and if you can just pick up and go it's great.

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 07:38 PM
Janet

Sherrie: Will you be driving to Charleston? Do you want to stay downtown? Give me a little more information and maybe I can make some suggestions. I live just north of Charleston.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 11:40 AM
Sherrie

Thank you everyone for your great suggestions!

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 06:00 PM
P8ntldy

We're staying in Charleston for 4 nites the first week of May - our first trip & I found the Howard Johnson in Downtown Charleston for $49 a nite (2 adults)....I couldn't believe the rate. It's supposed to be one of the better Hojo's....hope so.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:06 AM
dan woodlief

P8ntldy, Is this a regular rate, and do you know exactly where the HoJo is located in relation to the historic sights? We are planning a return visit in mid-May, and I will be looking for a room this week. Thanks.