Search

Budget Hotel in Boston??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2005, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Budget Hotel in Boston??

Hi all,

We're planning a trip to Boston for 6/30-7/3. Haven't firmed up an itinerary yet, but this is our first trip, so we plan on doing all of the touristy stuff in the downtown core.

I'm looking for recommendations for budget accommodations (ideally no more than $125US/night). I know Boston is a pricey city, so we don't mind taking the subway into the downtown area. And we're both around 30 years old, so we don't mind lots of walking to take in the city.

Also, could you recommend areas to stay, just in case I do Priceline? I have heard most people select Copley or Downtown.

Thanks!
Alanna
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 05:24 AM

The Quincy/Faneuil Hall area is easy walking distance to a lot of the attractions. The Wyndham seems to be the lowest-priced hotel in that area at $160, so bidding $125 on Priceline for that area probably wouldn't be unreasonable.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 06:50 AM

Copley and Downtown will get you into the right areas.

Without using Priceline, your budget amount will not likely get you into a hotel within subway distance - most hotels that I know of on MBTA subway/trolley cost almost as much as those in Boston. Be very cautious if you do not use Priceline or go outside these areas - distances in Boston area are deceiving - it can take an hour to go 10 miles. Some hotels call themselves things such as Boston/Waltham or Boston/North and while a short mileage from downtown are a giant pain to commute into city from. Shuttle service from hotels is not always available, despite what they say.

I would try Priceline, but since it is over 7/4 weekend, I am not sure what kind of luck you will have.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 07:19 AM

The 4* Collonade in Copley recently came up for $90/night on the dates 7/1 - 7/4 so you may have some luck. And somebody got the Hyatt Regency Downtown (Not Cambridge) for $75 for a weekend....hope that helps a little bit.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 08:21 AM

Before biddingfortravel lost their data, I noticed the Marriott Copley Place coming up for July 4th weekend for under $100 which is just amazing.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 09:07 AM

Alannap, we stayed at a B&B in Cambridge over Memorial Day weekend for $125 a night including taxes and breakfast. It's called the 53 wendell, its website is http://www.53wendell.com. We had the St Petersburg suite, it was very spacious and quaint, with a fridge, a hot plate and a microwave, and free wireless internet access. The breaksfast, which consisted of cereals, oatmeal, coffee and tea, orange juice, cookies and fruit cups, was available all day so we could load up on goodies for the days of sightseeing. It's about a ten minute walk to the Harvard Square subway station straight across the Harvard campus. We will stay there again on our next trip to Boston.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 01:29 PM

you might want to check the Marriott in Cambridge or the Marriott Residence Inn in Cambridge- both are very close to the subway stop making it easy to get around.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 07:22 PM

Check www.biddingfortravel.com before bidding on Priceline. I would start bidding soon. Good luck!
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 03:47 AM

Look at the Newbury Guest House right smack in the middle of everything. It is located on Newbury St., one of the premier shopping and dining areas in Boston.