Reload this Page >

Bryce Canyon Hoodoo Identities

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2007, 05:23 AM
FLmom

I feel like this is a silly question, but I don’t know the answer, so here I am.
How does one know or learn to identify the named hoodoos in Bryce Canyon? Do they give you a brochure when you arrive? I’ve searched multiple sites but can’t find a map of the amphitheater that identifies the specifically name hoodoo’s on a given trail or area.
I’d kinda like to be able to recognize these features when we are there next month. Could someone clue me in, please?

Old May 28th, 2007, 05:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi FLMom,

There are a few that are actually named and do look unique enough to recognize, such as Thor's Hammer. It stands out alone. The park has small signs for some like Queen Victoria. Others you can just look around for. Trust me, there will be lots of other people looking and pointing too!

The park maps do have some marked.
It's kind of like looking at clouds - use your imagination.

Have fun!
Old May 28th, 2007, 06:13 AM

We found it fun to rename the hoodoos.
The kids took turns to come up with appropriate and inappropriate! names for some of the weird forms. DS 'recognised' a relative and we had a family picture taken with 'uncle Peter'!
Old May 29th, 2007, 02:26 PM
FLmom

These are the named hoodo formations I found connected with BCNP:
Wall of Windows
The Chessmen
Thor's Hammer
Tower Bridge
The Poodle
Queen Victoria
Queen's Castle
The Sentinel
The Hat Shop
Wall Street

We will be taking the morning half day horseback ride into the canyon, I'm sure to see some of these on our through. I do still wonder though, who named them, and how that information is shared...

Old May 29th, 2007, 07:08 PM

Hi again FLMom,

You should be able to see many of these on your ride. If you attend the film at the Visitor's Center first, you will more easily recognize some of them. Usually the riding groups are too large for you to be close enough to your wrangler to ask questions as you go along. He/she may mention in advance a few of the sights you will see before you start.

The Tower Bridge is on the Fairyland Loop Trail so you won't see that one. It's a long hike. If I remember correctly 11 mile loop with lots of up and down. We were pooped and sunburned by the end.

As to who names them, some of the early settlers and ranchers in the area. Sometimes more recent visitors with imagination. I've never even heard of The Poodle, so that must be a newer one!
Old May 30th, 2007, 03:31 AM
FLmom

Very Cool, thanks for the tip about the film at the visitors center, we'll go to that the evening before the horseback ride. DD and I are going to have a blast on this vacation, if we see "the poodle" I'll let you know!!

Old May 30th, 2007, 08:15 AM

Try to take a picture and post it later for us! Yes, you're in for a great trip.
Old May 30th, 2007, 08:18 AM

You are going to have such a great vacation! That's one of our favorite places on earth. I am already anxiously awaiting your trip report.