Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Brunswick, GA info, help needed please..

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2005, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I won a cheap hotel on Priceline for an overnight there as we will be heading down I-95 from Knoxville to New Smyrna Beach, FL. I sort of didn't think they would take my price ($32.00) but they did so I am stuck with the Baymont Inn in Brunswick, which looks fine to us for just an overnight. Anyone stayed at this property??? Can anyone comment on Brunswick,GA?? Is it an OK city to stop for the night with little ones?? safe and all?? Thank you.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 05:34 AM

Don't know a lot about Brunswick. Only been there a couple of times, but if you have time drive across the bridge to St. Simons Island and check it out. Very pretty and historical.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the info sunshinesue, I wll check that out, it looks like only a fifteen minute drive. thanks
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 05:45 AM

Brunswick is an interesting town with a great southern feel. It has not been ruined by success yet as it's not yet discovered. So you won't find many amenities, such as great restaurants or trendy shops. And there's not much to it. I did some historical research there and found that they'd thrown away alot of their history (records). There is a history museum in an old house but there's not much there. It is very safe. Kind of sleepy.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Tandoori Girl, I am not too worried about the history or restaurants part, we may go over to St. Simons Island for dinner that night. It is just a stop along the way to Florida and I like to know that the areas which I am traveling to/thru are safe places for us with the kids and all. I got the hotel so cheap, I'm sure it will be fine. Thanks for the info.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Also, it says on the website and map, fifteen miles from the beaches, so we could wander over there when we go check out the islands.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 06:25 AM

Fort Fredrica (http://fortfrederica.areaparks.com/), a relic of George Oglethorpe's endeavor to save the area from the Spanish in the 1700's, is accessed by a drive through St Simons Island. Sea Island, site of The Cloister (a swanky resort) is second home to some celebrity 'movers and shakers' (Elvis was building a home there before his untimely demise) therefore a ritzy place to live is also accessed via St Simons. Jekyll Island (http://www.jekyllisland.com/what/funfacts/index.html) was the vacation home of turn of the TWENTIETH century business moguls some of whose 'cottages' (the size of their Newport, RI homes but not as oppulent) still exist having been turned into resorts themselves.

I just love the scenery of all these places...The Marshes of Glenn (memorialized by Sidney Lanier)and the live oaks draped with Spanish moss. It is just a very pretty area. MHO
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 06:35 AM

mcm, you didn't care about the history but polly showed you that Brunswick is steeped in history so you can't get away from it =D>

But those beaches are a big draw too 8-)
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 06:38 AM

Have stayed at The Baymont Inn in Gainesville, Fla. and we were pleased with our accomodations there. Do not know about the Brunswick Baymont.
You might also enjoy riding over to Jekyll Island.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the great responses. The history locales are fine with me, it's just that the two litle ones (both under four) enjoy the beach, parks, strolling around etc. But it souds like it will be a fine place to spend the evening. We were going to stop in Savannah for a few hours before that also. Thanks.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 01:56 PM

Go have dinner at Barbara Jean's on St. Simon's. Order the crab cakes and treat yourself to a real Southern speciality. Very casual restaurant.
St. Simon's and Jeckyll are both great.
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, I think we will try Barbara Jean's because Crab cakes are my absolute favorite, and I'm sure they do them right down there!!! (I get them in Michigan and they just do not compare)
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 06:36 AM

I know where the Baymont Inn in Brunswick is. It should be just fine for your overnight stay.

Brunswick is not what I'd call a tourist destination. Many people who work on St. Simons, Sea Island, Jekyll Island in the tourism indutry live in Brunswick. It has several strip malls with plenty of family friendly chain style restaurants. I do recommend Barbara Jean's on St. Simons.
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 08:52 AM

To add to my post seeing as how I did not read your comments about history not being top of the list for the children in your family:

Jeckyll is also a beach vacation destination that your children might enjoy. There used to be a waterpark there; probably miniature golf and the likes, too. Last time we were there, we drove around the southern tip of the island where my children collected seashells including conch shells and they enjoyed seeing flocks of wild turkeys. Turkeys are there because a large part of the island is protected from development.
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks pollyw, that what my kids are into, just strolling around, maybe picking up some shells or building some sandcastles and chasing the seagulls usually, these simple things can keep them entertained for hours. On another trip to this part of the country though I would love to get into the history of the area and explore that a bit. Thank you.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 09:54 AM

When are you going to New Smyrna Beach? My family (wife and kids 11, 10 and 6) will be there March 19-26. I've read several concerns about the status of the beach after the hurricanes. We're going anyway...there's always the pool! Are you familiar with any other activities in the area?
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 10:45 AM

St Simon's & Jekyl Island are great to visit. Brunswick is small, and not much there. Whatever you do - DON'T go to the little Mexican restaurant - I forgot the name but I think it's the only one there - it was HORRIBLE! Stick to crab cakes and other "southern" fare - they know how to cook that down there, but they're lost when it comes to Mexican food.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Hi twins, we will be in NSB just for a long weekend the first of April. I heard that the area fared fine after the hurricanes, my husband was also working near there for the power company and he said he thought that NSB was fine. I know of no other activities for the kids, just the beach and the pool etc. sorry. Have a great trip!!!!
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 04:23 PM

Hi mcmckissic! My family has been going to Jekyll Island for vacation since my gradfather was stationed at Glynco during WW2. The island reopended shortly after as a state park and is really lovely for kids. We still go every year and my husband and I were married there 4 years ago this summer. We stay in Brunswick the night before our rental starts every year and usually at the Fairfield Inn or the Hampton Inn and have stayed at the Days Inn in the past. Baymont Inn are usually along the same lines as the above. The city is very safe and there are plenty of chain restaurants like Fridays, Applebees and Cracker Barrel in the area. there is also a seafood chain that I can't think of the name off the top of my head-I'll post when I remember-but it really has pretty decent food as the shrimp is caught daily there.
I have been to many of the Barrier Islands in the area and obviously my favorite is Jekyll, but it is the Atlantic, so the ocean will not be clear and there is a little silt in the water at low tide, which is REALLY low on the island. there isn't much beach on St. Simons. If you want an evening beach walk, jekyll is good because the "waves" are really small and kids aren't usually intimidated, but it depends on their ages. there is a mini golf on the island and a little local seafood place called seajays that's pretty good, but simple. We took my year old neice last year to dinner and she did great. If you have girls, there is a really nice dollhouse museum in Brunswick that we went to every yearwhen we were younger.
Like I said, I really like Jekyll as they have restored the old millionaire's village by the historic hotel on the island and it's so pretty to even just drive through.

All in all, an overnight in the area will be fine-it's a quiet little town.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Gree65, thanks so much for all of your helpful info, it sounds great and the restaurant ideas help also, thanks again. My kids will love to go to Jekyll Island most likely. I love Fodors!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -