Search

Broadway Tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 05:11 AM
Marge

Broadway Tickets

Hi! We're planning on seeing several shows during our NYC trip in April, but I would like to know if there is any way for an out-of-towner to order tickets ahead of time without using Telecharge etc. they seem to be charging an extra fee of $6 PER TICKET. I'm not trying to be cheap, but we are purchasing at least 3 shows, 4 tickets per show. I'd rather spend the "extra" money in the City, not give it to Telecharge! I know we can get discount tickets at TKTS, but we'd really like to secure our plans before we get there. Can we call the box offices directly - or don't they bother with that? Thanks in advnace for your advice.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 05:15 AM
Vic

Box office also charges a fee for will call. I may be wrong but I think you're stuck with a fee.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 05:31 AM
Philip

Unfortunately you are stuck with the fee. Broadway box offices stopped taking phone orders several years ago.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 05:34 AM
frank

Marge: I fully agree with you it's a total rip-off. Considering how expensive theater tickets are, it's offensive to pay a $6.00 per ticket charge in additon to a "theater restoration" fee, in addition to a per order handling charge.

Also, I find that when you order through Telecharge or Ticketmaster, and ask for the "best seats available", you generally get the "worst seats available" regardless how far in advance you order. This goes for all shows not only the hits. I have yet to get 4th through 10th row center seats for any show I have ever ordered through their service. I have gotten those seats on occasion at the TKTS booth at half price.

It's ironic that when you are willing to pay full price and service charges, months ahead of the preformance, for shows that are less than smash hits, you can frequently get better seats at half price on the day of the preformance.

I would recommend that you only order tickets in advance for shows that you are fairly certain will not be on discount. Since you are comming in April, the weather should be fine for a wait on the TKTS line, which I always find a fun experience even though I'm a native New Yorker.

As you can see, this topic is a pet peeve of mine.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 05:54 AM
Philip

Frank, those "best" seats that you get the day of the show are house seats. Every theater reserves seats for VIPs on a "just in case they show" basis. If ever in NYC, ask at the box office if they have house seats for sale.

This past summer, the starry production of "The Seagull" in Central Park had several house seats available each night. Those poor people that didn't want to spend the night in Central Park didn't know that they could show up in the morning and get same night tickets. (And the performance that I saw had a few empty seats which I suspect were VIP tickets that went unclaimed).

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 05:59 AM
Howard

I think you can order by mail directly from the theater and save that $5.75-$6 per ticket charge. I suggest you get a copy of the NY Times theater listings and call the number for group reservations for the shows you want. No, you can't get your individual tickets through them, but they can probably answer you question about mail orders.
As for Frank's complaint about the extra fees, no one likes to pay them, but, hey, that's how Ticketmaster and Telecharge make their money!

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 06:12 AM
lacy

Having just returned, learn from my mistakes. Thought I would just stand in line and get some tickets--but it never happened. We were too busy, too cold, somewhere else--so glad I had purchased the Rockettes in advance. Why don't you compromise and order one set of tickets in advance, and then maybe stand in line while you are there? If there is a special play you want to see, stop by their box office and see what is the best time to get in line. I noticed some people doing this--and the line didn't look too bad. The tickets booth line was long and people were disappointed in what was available. This was the week after Christmas, however. I will pre-order my tickets next time, that is for sure!!

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 06:37 AM
Patrick

I agree with most of what has been said. The fees are outragious. I love calling theatres in London direct and have them hold my tickets there and there is absolutely no fee whatever. Broadway has become user unfriendly due to their "deal" with Ticketmaster/Telcharge, which no longer "allows" the theatre to sell their own tickets.
One point I disagree with however is that these days Ticketmaster will take all the time in the world to discuss your seats. I usually print off a theatre seating chart in advance (via Playbill website) so I know what they're talking about. A year ago this past November (long before it had ever opened) when I was booking tickets for The Producers for this past May,I spent nearly an hour on line with ticketmaster. We went through performance by performance until I could find an opening for front row mezzanine. There was no problem doing this and the girl was very helpful and understanding that we wanted the best tickets. I have done this with many shows and they are now very helpful so long as you can intelligently discuss the seats you want and have a little flexibility on dates.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 12:50 PM
Celeste

I agree that the way to go is to buy the tickets that won't be available at TKTS (I bought mine for Lion King and The Graduate months before the trip) and then used TKTS for two more shows. We didn't mind standing on line at TKTS because it took us so long to decide which of all the available shows we were going to choose!

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 06:00 AM

I just wanted to thank everyone who has offered sugestions, and if anyone has any other thoughts about purchasing tickets, please feel free to comment.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 07:28 AM
Mark K

Log on to NYCvisit.com. You can get specials there. go to the visitors center on Broadway when you arrive in NY and pick up the 50%off tickets. You won't get the Producers, but you'll have a choice of great shows. Its worked every time for me-ie. second row front orchestra for the Music Man, 9th row orch. Les Mis, etc.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 03:49 PM
Marge

Hi Mark. You'll have to forgive me, I'm having a bit of trouble finiding tickets on this site, can you give me a little more direction? Is this the "Paint the town Red, white & blue" promotion? Sorry to be a nerd . . . can you help? Thanks!

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 05:03 PM
Penny

I would not wait until the last minute for the popular shows. And I would not assume they are going to be sold out. I would say pay the extra $6.00 per ticket, for those shows you know you want to attend. i.e. The Producers, The Lion King, etc... The most popular are the hardest to get.

And when dealing with Ticketmasters, Telecharge or any other ticket outlet, tell them you want ochestra level center, or mezzanine level front, where ever it is that you like to sit.

Each of these companies have their own websites and provide seat maps for every show they sell.

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 04:39 AM
Mark

Hey Marge,
I hope you learned to navigate that NYCvisit site by now. If not, heres some thoughts. I'm a native NYer always seeking an angle. You were right-the red, white, blue thing is the promo for now. There will be a new promo when that one expires. If you see a show you like, go to telecharge, com and plug in your dates for the same show-you can see what seats are available. then call the NYC number. You'll get the seats half-price but have to pay the $6 surcharge. If you want to see several shows, my advice would be to lock in one show, then go to the visitor's center on 52nd.? and Broadway and get the half-price vouchers for the various shows. Take those to the box office and get the deal. I've done this method four times and it works every time. With your savings, swing over to the stage deli and have a tall pastrami on rye. Tell em Mark sent ya. After the show, head down to chinatown-17 Mott street for the grub. walk over to Mulberry street after that for a cannoli. You know, people pay a lot for this information... M

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 05:13 AM
Marge

Mark, THANKS - Ok, I now "get" what I'm supposed to do! I too am always looking for an angle and this advice sounds good. Also wanted to thank you for the deli advice, and of course, the cannoli. . . .sounds like a plan!

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 05:14 AM
Howard

Adding to Mark's excellent advice, the visitors' center he is referring to is on Seventh Avenue, between 52nd and 53rd Streets, across from the Sheraton New York Hotel.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 01:48 PM
Dan

Hello,
There is some great info on this post, please bear with me while I ask another question: Mark, If I call NYCvisit.com (and speak intelligently about tickets, seating etc.) do I actually purchase a ticket from them? Or a voucher that says I "may" be able to get seats at a discount at the box office? Or a voucher for a ticket? Sorry to be a pest, but I want to have an idea wheat I'm doing before I call. Thank you very much for your help.

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 11:52 AM
topper

to the top

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 12:29 PM
xxx

DANand others who are interested)
nycvisit.com is the website for the New york covention and visitors bureau, located as Howard mentioned on 7th ave between 52 & 53rd street. They don't sell tickets, as far as I can tell (and I was just there the other day picking up my 2 FREE broadway show tickets for a [expired] promo that gave free tix with a $500 purchase). When you are there you can pick up ticket vouchers for discount
tickets, many of which are distributed by "Hit Show Club" (what we used to call two-fers, since prices were about "two-fer" the price of one). You can go to their website(www.hitshowclub.com) directly and/or playbill.com. Playbill also issued a special promotional booklet (which was in the local papers, but also can be found at the visitors center) that had discount coupons/codes for several shows. You can bring the coupon to the box office, or order by phone in advance using the code.(Sorry I don't have the booklet/codes with me now. Perhaps someone else reading this has it and can post the info!) Most long running non sold out shows (e.g. Contact, Cabaret, Chicago) are available through these methods at about half price

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 05:22 PM
Dan

Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me, I really appreciate it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -