Broadway Show

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 07:39 AM
Kim

Broadway Show

I'll be in NY City this weekend and have been told by reliable (?) sources that I can queue in the World Trade Centre or Times Square for tickets to any broadway show - including Lion King or Beauty and the Beast and get them discounted! Best time to queue around 4/5pm for that evenings show? Is this a load of old cobblers?? I've tried to buy tickets in advance thru ticketmaster, but there aren't any left for overseas visitors - I'm travelling from the UK!

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 07:50 AM
John

You'll not see the Lion King at any discounted ticket office, that's for sure. There's still a several-month backlog, I think. You can find Beauty and the Beast at TKTS, however, depending on the show's availability. Generally, the WTC location is easier to navigate than is the Times Sq location.

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 07:55 AM
AC

Kim:
Forget about Lion King!
Go to the TKTS Booth in the World Trade Center about 2PM. Lines seem to be shorter there. After you purchase your tickets, take a free ride on the Staten Island Ferry. That will take about an hour. Head uptown on the #1 Train to Times Square. Grab a bite to eat and go enjoy your show! Have a great time in NYC!

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 08:58 AM
Cara

Based on your two play selections, it appears that you will be traveling with children. It's true that you definitely won't find Lion King available, and we only saw Beauty and the Beast pop up once at the ticket booths over a week time span. Another good option for children would be Annie Get Your Gun. While Aida does not pop up at the ticket booths, apparently the tickets are still available at the theater box office if you check a few days in advance. Good suggestion on combining a ride on the Staten Island Ferry (good view of the Statue of Liberty for free) and then getting tickets at the World Trade Center ticket booth...just want to point out that this booth opens up much earlier in the day than the Times Square location.

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 09:00 AM
shopper

Kim the World Trade Center is a great idea, and since the weather is turning a bit chilly, it's a bit nicer to be indside standing in line.

Secondly you have to be at the Trade Center about 10 or 11 am to have a pick on the most shows, by 2pm the tickets are mostly gone.

There are some restaurants right in the trade center for lunch or there are several in the downtown area, and of course there are several at the South St. Seaport which is a short walk to the East River.

TKTS is for shows that are not selling out every night and for shows about to open or are in previews. We see most of Broadway through TKTS. When you get to the Trade Center there is a large board with the listings of shows available. The Broadway Shows are listed first and then the off Broadway.
We generally ask what are the best seats you have available at the window, oh a bring CASH, they do not take credit cards.

Have a great time.

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 09:22 AM
Shopper

Dear Shopper:
Hi Tweedy... you can't fool us...

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 10:22 AM
howard

To put everything in the proper perspective:
First, your options for half-priced theater tickets on a weekend are greatly diminished. There will be some choices but not nearly as many as weekdays.
Second, The Lion King will NOT be there. Beauty and the Beast PROBABLY will NOT be there. Annie Get Your Gun probably WILL be there.
Third, the best time to queue up for the Saturday matinee is around 9-9:15 a.m.at Duffy Square (i.e., Times Square). It opens at 10. For evening performances, I would recommend getting in line around 2-2:15 p.m. It opens at 3. While the lines will probably be shorter between 4-5, the choice will be greatly diminished. Sometimes, theaters drop off unsold tickets at the last minute (i.e., after 7-7:15 p.m.), but I wouldn't be too optimistic on a weekend.