Reload this Page >

Broadway for an 11 year old

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 1999, 04:20 PM
Greta

I will be traveling to N.Y.C. with my husband and 3 kids in August. My daughters are 16 & 17 and my son is 11. We already have Lion King tix. The girls want to see Rent or Cabaret. I don't want us to have to split up, so can an 11 year old boy see these shows? Keep in mind, we live in so. calif., so he won't be shocked by much. How "bad" are they??

Old Jun 30th, 1999, 04:58 AM
Howard

If you don't mind your 11-year-old seeing Cabaret's master of ceremonies character touching his groin area a few times, then Cabaret will be fine! It's a fine show. Rent, I think, is not for the 11-year-old. They all might enjoy Ragtime, a magnificent show.

Old Jun 30th, 1999, 06:02 AM
ilisa

Cabaret is a wonderful show. I don't think your son should have a problem handling it, but then again, only you know his maturity level. You may want to explain some of the underlying themes to your son ahead of time (the rise of the Nazi party), since they are a big part of the show. He may or may not know about them, but he should know that there is more to the show than just the emcee touching himself.

Old Jun 30th, 1999, 09:31 AM
Howard

I certainly didn't mean to imply that the groin touching was a big deal. It just might be upsetting to the parent of an ll-year-old! Otherwise, I agree with the previous poster and reiterate what I said earlier that it's a wonderful show that leaves a profound impact on you! And, it certainly is fine for an 11-year-old person!

Old Jun 30th, 1999, 09:39 AM
Beth

We saw Rent this past weekend and the couple in front of us had brought their kids, who looked to be about 9 and 12. I really didn't think the show was terribly appropriate for them. For one thing, I think there was much they would not have understood, and I wondered how the parents were going to explain it to them. I also think your 11 year old would be bored. Caberet is a better choice.

Old Jun 30th, 1999, 11:13 AM
lisa

I personally think both shows are too racy for an 11 year old boy, but that's just my opinion, and it certainly does depend on your son. Congrats on getting tickets to Lion King -- it's incredible and I'm sure everyone will love it.

Old Jun 30th, 1999, 05:39 PM
Donna

I, too, would advise that Cabaret and Rent are not appropriate for an 11-year old boy. In fact, I would question taking your daughters as well. But, that's just my opinion. We absolutely loved Ragtime and would highly recommend it. And, of course, Annie Get Your Gun or the Sound of Music are terrific family shows if you haven't seen them.

Old Jun 30th, 1999, 06:40 PM
Edward

While I think Cabaret is a great show, I'm not sure that an 11 year old would really be able to appreciate it. The themes contained in it are rather adult oriented. As for Rent, well I've never been a big fan of the show to begin with, but it is probably even less suitable than Cabaret is. I would strongly recommend Ragtime as being a show that might appeal to all levels (I've seen it three times and have loved every one of them).

Edward

Old Jun 30th, 1999, 08:12 PM
Tara

Rent and Cabaret are definitely shows to which I would not take minor children! In my opinion, Cabaret is tres racy and Rent depicts (this is just MY opinion, folks) young people who consider themselves "free spirited" but indulge in illicit and fatal drugs, promiscuous sex (and, also fatal), fool one another as to their gender, and are not only disloyal but dishonest with their closest of friends. The music and production of each of these shows is spectacular. Much of the content may sail past their notice. But, as a parent, I would not expose my adolescents to shows which glamorize such stuff. I am astonished at the awards bestowed on Rent - Pulitzer Prize? Best Musical? Well, the music is fantastic if you ignore the lyrics. Anyway, to my mind, these shows are for adults, not impressionable young people. Regardless of whether or not your son (not to mention your daughters) would be "shocked" with such goings-on, do you really want them to be impressed? Ragtime, though, would be an excellent choice. Take a Circle Line Cruise, do the bus tour and explore the unique and interesting neighborhoods, take them to the museums - how about Natural History? Find some concerts they'd enjoy. You are so fortunate to have Lion King tix - that should do it for Broadway for a family trip. Go to South Street Seaport (fabulous street performers and terrific shopping and views), take a walk along the Promenade in Brooklyn Heights, take a cruise to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island (there's an educational experience!), explore Central Park (the zoo, the carousel...), go to Macy's and FAO Schwartz, see a show or do the tour at Radio City Music Hall, do the NBC studios tour, get tickets to one of the many TV shows broadcast from NYC, take a trip to the Cloisters. The Museum of the City of New York is fabulous for kids, as is the Children's Museum. While Broadway can be a fabulous experience, there is more than you can possibly absorb on a family trip to NYC besides.

Old Jul 1st, 1999, 03:58 AM
Valerie

I totally agree with the above posting from Tara. She is right on the money. You only need one show to see. And the other places she suggested are perfect for children as well as adults.

Old Jul 1st, 1999, 07:29 AM
Howard

Poor Greta. We've given you advice across the board! While I would take an 11-year-old to Cabaret (see my previous comments), others would not. Ragtime would be a great choice. If you want a totally "safe" show for your children, then Annie Get Your Gun would probably suffice. But, dammit, Cabaret is a lot better! Hey, let us know what you decide. I'm curious!

Old Jul 1st, 1999, 11:52 AM
ca

My 12 and 14 y/o kids loved "Stomp" (off B'Way). Don't know if its still playing, though.

Old Jul 2nd, 1999, 07:09 AM
AJ

Greta, I guess I'm at the far end of the spectrum. I would (and have) taken my children to see film and shows that others would consider to be inappropriate, but then I don't really believe that children should be "protected" from the arts. I disagree with the above poster who says that Rent "glamorizes" the unsavory lifestyle. It in fact teaches how unglamorous and painful such a life can be. If you take your younger boy, just be sure to talk about what you are seeing before and after.

And a suggestion: get the best seats you can afford. We successfully introduced our children to theatre when they were each around 5 years old, by getting as close to the action as possible. The children feel like they are in the midst of the action when they can see make-up, a peek behind the scenes, spit-flying (oh, my!) My littlest boy, now 7, saw Phantom two years ago. His eyes were wide for two straight hours, and I don't think he moved a muscle the entire time.

Enjoy your trip.

Old Jul 2nd, 1999, 07:45 AM
AJ

Continuing on this subject, West Side Story made it's Broadway debut in 1956, and was considered shocking for its themes of gang violence and illicit love. I was 4 years old, and I remember seeing the film version as soon as it was released (early 1960s?) so I must have been between 8 and perhaps 11. It was a great show!

Old Jul 2nd, 1999, 08:30 AM
Howard

I'm with you all the way, AJ! Though I might think twice about taking a child to see Rent, only because I don't think he/she would appreciate it, give children some credit for being able to experience these things successfully.
I still remember when our daughter was 11 and we took her to see Dog Day Afternoon on a rainy day in Nantucket, when there was nothing else to do. Throughout the film, my wife and I were very aware and self-conscious about the "rough" language in the film. When we remarked at film's end something like, "Hey, that was some language" (or some similarly inane comment), our daughter immediately responded with: "Oh, that's nothing compared to what I hear in school!" We never again worried about what we were "exposing" our daughter to!

Old Jul 2nd, 1999, 09:11 AM
Owen O'Neill

I must agree with AJ. Rent does NOT glamorize illicit drugs or promiscuity but it treats all those areas in an honest fashion, illustrating some of the pitfalls inherent in such a lifestyle. As a recovering addict I believe that I have a realistic perspective on such issues. I took my daughter to rent when she was just turning 16. She's mature and understood the message in addition to loving the music. I believe it's appropriate for a MATURE and intelligent teenager when accompanied by an adult. I would not recommend it for children under 15 or 16 and use discretion for older teens. Knowledge, used wisely, is a good thing...

Old Jul 2nd, 1999, 06:17 PM
J Genovese

Greta, have you considered an off Broadway show. We saw Blue Man Tube Group over Easter and it was great. Funny, entertaining and even a little "gross-out" I think all 3 of your kids and adults would enjoy it.

Old Jul 4th, 1999, 03:13 PM
Geo

Hi Greta,

You say you're from Southern California. I can't imagine that an 11 year old in any part of the country wouldn't know something about what's going on in "Rent." Basically, it's the story of La Boheme, but Mimi has AIDS instead of TB.

You might want to visit http://www.lifecafe.com/lyrics5.htm
for the complete lyrics to "Rent." That might help you in deciding whether the language is appropriate. Also there is http://www.siteforrent.com for more info about Rent including audio clips from the show.

Actually, an eleven year old might find "Cabaret" a little more twisted than "Rent" but would probably understand and enjoy either one without much help.

It looks like I'm in the minority but I vote with those who say take your kids to something they'll enjoy. Since you're already seeing "Lion King" and if you decide Rent/Cabaret are not for you, "Stomp" would probably be a better alternative than "Sound of Music" or "Ragtime." I was there a couple of weeks ago, and Stomp was still in town.

Enjoy yourselves.

Old Jul 9th, 1999, 01:15 PM
Greta

Wow! I am totally overwhelmed by all of your responses! Thanks to each and every one who took time out of your busy lives to help me with this. I have printed out all of your responses and we will have a "family forum" and make a decision. Thanks again! I'll let you know what we decide.
Greta

Old Jul 9th, 1999, 01:30 PM
marilyn

I gave my husband and 16-year-old daughter a theater series for Christmas last year. I included Cabaret because of fond memories of the movie with Liza Minelli and Joel Grey, and all the marvelous songs, as well as the importance of the themes. I must say, neither one enjoyed the version of Cabaret (at the Shubert in Chicago with Terri Hatcher) they saw, finding it very dark and disturbing. My husband's comment was that they had to be pretty far out to try to portray "decadence" for a nineties audience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -