Broadway Banter Anew, November 2015

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2015, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Time for a new thread with a good reason: Finally got to see The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, and I'll add another glowing review! It matched, if not surpassed, our expectations. The new lead actor is incredible.

Two bits of advice:

1. Read the book advance. Rather than spoiling your experience by revealing what happens, my wife and I found that reading the book in advance actually enhances the experience--first, because it helps to better understand what's happening, and second, after you read the book, you are really eager to see how the creators of the show have actually created the images and words in the book.

2. Get tickets in the front mezzanine. That area definitely offers the best viewing of the shows visuals.
Old Nov 9th, 2015, 05:55 AM

We were also greatly impressed (saw it in Sept just before the leads changed). I agree too that higher up is better, we were in balcony and it was very good viewing. I am glad that we did not read the book, it was much better for the ending.
Old Nov 9th, 2015, 06:03 AM

"2. Get tickets in the front mezzanine. That area definitely offers the best viewing of the shows visuals."

Yes, although those are most often my favorite seats for most shows, they are especially good for Curious Incident. There is a lot "happening" on the stage floor, especially with projections and the "train", that I can't imagine full appreciation of from the orchestra.

But since Howard has started this, let me say Dames at Sea is great fun. It's a "spoof" of 1930's musicals, and while very "small" with a total cast of only 6, it is outstanding for voices, comedy, and a perfect cast with tons of amazing tap dancing. Of course, if that sort of thing doesn't "grab" you, and you don't appreciate a guy running into a girl and immediately saying "I want to spend my life with you" then stay away. Yes, it's silly! That's the point of what it's making fun of.
Old Nov 9th, 2015, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Patrick, I totally agree with your comments both about the mezzanine in general and the mezzanine for The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. There's no question in my mind that the mezzanine is a far superior location to the orchestra for viewing this show.
Old Nov 9th, 2015, 06:57 AM

Has anyone seen Gin Game or Charles III?
Old Nov 9th, 2015, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Several friends have seen Charles III and gave it very high marks.

DebitNM, let me assure that having read the book in advance and knowing how the story ended in no way detracted from our enjoyment of the production. In fact, as I wrote, it made us eager how they actually would recreate all aspects of the story on stage.
Old Nov 9th, 2015, 07:50 AM

As always, YMMV, Howard
Old Nov 9th, 2015, 08:19 AM

I'll see Charles III next Wednesday (the 18th) and will report then. Everyone seems to rave -- and it did win best new play (Olivier) in London.
Old Nov 9th, 2015, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

DebitNM, forgive my lack of whatever, but what does YMMV mean?
Old Nov 9th, 2015, 09:06 AM

NeoPatrick - I'll be very interested to hear your take on Charles III. Predictably I seem to lean towards the London transfers.
We just re-watched Jewell in the Crown in which Tim Piggot-Smith was so compelling.
Old Nov 9th, 2015, 10:26 AM

Howard, I was curious too, but the main YMMV in the urban dictionary I checked means "your mileage may vary". I'm trying hard to make that somehow apply to your theatre comments. At least it's better than "You make me vomit" which was the only other one I found. LOL
Old Nov 9th, 2015, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Patrick, I think I've found the answer. Keeping the words "Your mileage may vary" in mind, YMMV can simply mean "Opinions may vary." And, thus, her reaction to my comments makes sense!
Old Nov 11th, 2015, 10:44 AM

Loved King Charles III, Something Rotten, this year's big apple circus and an off broadway thing Imbible.
Old Nov 11th, 2015, 10:47 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Finally got to see Cinderella on the National Tour. It's no longer on Broadway but I highly recommend catching the show if it comes near you. Wanted to see the dress transformation but enjoyed ALL of this tweaking of the original R&H show. Two thumbs up.
Old Nov 11th, 2015, 12:25 PM

A few things I saw over the past week. A pretty diverse range…

A View From the Bridge (Broadway) – a unique, stylized, intense interpretation. I wasn’t engaged emotionally but the performances and the directorial choices kept me interested.

Off Broadway:
Shear Madness – After long runs everywhere else, it’s finally in NY. I was very pleasantly surprised – it’s really funny; the cast does a great job with improv & audience participation.

Hell’s Belles – a smart, sharp, very funny little Off-Broadway musical. 3 actresses doing quick changes, playing lots of different parts. Very clever lyrics.

Dada Woof Papa Hot - I thought it was OK. The aspects involving the gay parenting dynamics were more interesting than the plot lines involving infidelities.
Old Nov 12th, 2015, 06:07 AM

spring212, I saw Dada Woof Papa Hot yesterday. I really liked it, but probably admittedly because only recently we've developed a lot of friendship with gay couples who are parenting. I found the play fascinating -- particularly the infidelity aspects, simply because they were based on the pressures of the parenting part of the gay relationships -- not the usual issues. Although for the life of me I'm still trying to figure out the significance of the straight couple where the husband is found to be gay.

And I loved the ending >>>SPOILER ALERT
Old Nov 12th, 2015, 08:49 AM

We saw A View From the Bridge in preview last night, I think it opens today. Spring212's description is spot on <stylized, intense interpretation>.

We very much enjoyed it and I would recommend it highly, I think perhaps I found it more emotionally engaging than Spring. The production choices do a good job of highlighting the universal qualities of the play which helps give it a timeless feel. The performances were excellent and it was great to see Mark Strong on the stage. We had first row stage seats which I recommend, the actors were only a few feet away which heightened the theatricality.
Old Nov 12th, 2015, 01:18 PM

I think the stage seating for A View from the Bridge would make a difference in connecting to the show. Closer is better. Much of the stage is taken up by the audience seating so a view from the mezz wasn’t so great.

Neopatrick – I also liked the end of Dada Woof. That story line and those characters were very engaging. And thanks for your earlier comments about Dames at Sea. I am planning to see it.
Old Nov 15th, 2015, 08:33 AM

Rear Mezzanine for Hamilton OK?

Richard Rodgers theatre
Old Nov 15th, 2015, 09:59 AM

I just saw Hamilton the musical on oct 17, I was gob smacked . Orchestra seats , three rows back center. I am listening to,the soundtrack almost everyday.

This is a game changer, Lin Miranda Manual, Jonathan Groff, Daveed Diggs ....the cast is brilliant .

The music outstanding, it lives up to all of the hype.
Go see it , wherever your seat is, I'm trying to see it again ...not having much luck.

I also saw Finding Neverland with Matthew Morrison and Terrance Mann
I loved it! I,think it is under appreciated , I thoroughly enjoyed it, and might see it ago an this spring with Kelsey Grammar as hook

In also interested in seeing Tuck Everlasting when it opens.

Dec 8 off the see Charles the lll

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -