Broadmoor/Colorado Springs

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're leaving for a business/pleasure trip to the Broadmoor in Colorado Springs. Anyone have any words of advice on restaurants or activities at the hotel? Or ideas for things to do locally? The weather isn't supposed to be that great: mid 40s and a bit of snow.
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 05:52 PM

Definately have to stop at The Golden Bee. A sing along, piano playing English Pub right at the Broadmoor. Always a fun time! Great for after dinner drinks or the famous "yard of ale"
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 06:21 PM
mhc

We used to live in Colorado Springs not far from the Broadmoor. Weather can be iffy this time of year. Depends on your point of reference, but a bit of snow there can be a LOT of snow for others. They're used to it, so you should have no trouble getting around.

The hotel grounds are lovely, great spa, more than a dozen excellent dining options and an English Pub with singalongs, lots of onsite activities, they can arrange pretty much anything(Those 5 stars are well deserved.)

Colorado Springs is home to NORAD, Peterson Air Force Base, Ft Carson and the Air Force Academy. Not sure of your interests but here's some area highlights:

1. Pikes Peak - If you have the time, the Pikes Peak Cog railway will take you to the summit house. The views are amazing. Doughnuts were pretty good too.
2. Garden of the Gods - unique experience, lovely drive even in the cold, free.
3. Cottonwood Country Snowmobile Tours
4. US Olympic Complex
5. US Air Force Academy
6. World Figure Skating Museum
7. Cheyenne Mountain Zoo - designed into the side of the mountain, nice views of the city, hand feed the giraffes
8. Pro-Rodeo Hall of Fame

Some favorite restaurants:
Craftwood Inn, Cliff House Dining Room and Briarhurst Manor

Sorry. I'll stop reminiscing. Didn't realize how much I missed the place. Enjoy your trip!
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 04:16 AM

If you do decide to go to the Golden Bee you might think about making a reservation. We were at the Broadmoor in September and had a very difficult time getting in w/o one--very popular!

We've stayed at the Broadmoor twice. Our favorite local activities have been Seven Falls, the Air Force Academy, Garden of the Gods, the Cog Train to Pikes Peak.

The hotel has an in-door pool and lap pool. I've taken classes at the gym. There are many places to sit, relax and read if that interests you. Also, there's a great little shopping-type of center at the hotel with boutiques, a bookstore, jewelry, a small cafe, etc.

During our last visit, we had dinner one night in the Penrose Room--food was outstanding. Cafe Julie is a great place to either pick-up sandwiches, ice cream, coffee, etc., or, sit down for lunch. The Hotel Bar is a great place to relax, enjoy a drink. There's an outdoor fireplace just outside...could be fun to cozy up there for a drink!

Enjoy!

Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 08:29 PM

We LOVE the Broadmoor and concur with others that the Golden Bee is like stepping into a British Pub..its kind off property a bit but not a big deal.
Great golf and we had a one bedroom suite with the views of the majestic mountain range.
We went to the Garden of the Gods and had breakfast at a mountain place for breakfast.
We went during Christmas and it was so magical.
We also had dinner in their hotel bar/restaurant and it was excellent and they had a great wine list.
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 10:43 AM

I was going to mention that my house overlooks the entire Broadmoor and Colorado Srings. I'm about two thirds up Cheyenne mountain, the last row of houses in the upper Broadmoor District. I'm renting out my lower level. I enjoy meeting travelers, maybe that's why I bought it!

Either way, I don't think anyone has mentioned Pikes Peak, or the Cog Railway, nor Helen Hunt Falls. I've lived here for 37 years. And was a Chef at Briarhurst, Broadmoor, and Chef Ziggy I've always looked up to.

I grew up going to the Brookfield Zoo in Chicago and the St. Louis Zoo in Mo., so the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo seemed pretty small.

Pikes Peak is an astonisheing life changing sight! You see, Denver, all the little cities, all the way into the Kansas, Nebraska, and New Mexico states. The highways look like webs drawn on a big glowing ball. If any one has ever thought that the Earth was flat, has never been to Pike's Peak.

Denver is one mile above sea level, but Colorado Springs is far higher than that, and by the time go up to the Peak, whew, 14,110 ft above sea level. The curve of the Earth is quite evident and dizzying! You can see the Sangre De Cristos mtn range all the way to New Mexico.

The Pike's Peak Cog Railway is a geared train that pops you up to the top, in about an hour and a half or so. The train cars and seats all face the city, so you go up backwards taking pictures or video taping the entire ascent and decent. It makes one heck of a video souveignier, as a breath taking view keeps unveiling in front of you. You can also drive or be driven up to the Peak, stopping and sight seeing all the way up and back down.

I just had to share, that, if you are going to travel all the way to Colorado Springs, then let the au pare hang out with the frilly Jazz below, and throw on some jeans and show your kids a sight that they will never forget.

I live here and stiil go up as often as I can, it dwarfs humanity and reminds one that there is more to the Lovely Planet Earth, than the posh, high dollar, conquests of men and mice! - Au Revoir, BroadmoorBaby
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 11:53 AM

showoff..

we were planning on going to Pike's Peak but they wanted something like $35-50 for us to drive our rental car up to the top..ain't going happen.
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 12:41 PM

There is something odd going on. I think Colorado Spring's advertising budget has shrunk and they have decided on buzz marketing especially since Gail-4 woke up a 16 month old posting. I am guessing that Broadmoorbaby with her lower floor to rent out and Gail-4 with guide business are one and the same. Trying to cash in.
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 12:46 PM

I hate when that happens!