Brilliant ideas needed - cheap flight to NYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I'd post this question, although I'm not sure it's answerable. My daughter lives in NY and will be having a baby very soon. I want to fly down from Toronto as soon as possible after the birth, ideally to Westchester Airport which is near their home; the second choice would be LGA. I can get a good rate from Air Canada ($344 or thereabouts) if I book 14 days in advance, but I don't really want to wait that long. Jetsgo doesn't require advance booking, but flies to Newark which is almost prohibitively out of the way, in terms of how much extra travel time/inconvenience it adds to the trip. Other airlines make connections in cities like Detroit or Cleveland, which make the trip 5 to 8 hours long (!)instead of the 1 hour it usually takes from here. Most of the discount websites don't have flights that originate in Canada. Do I have any choices that I haven't thought of yet?
Thanks for any ideas!
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 09:00 AM

Site59.com offers last minute packages with hotel to cities all over the world. Toronoto is on there and as of today (Wed), there is a last minute package of $280 which includes a hotel.
I'd use that since it's based on last minute travel.
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Syd1, but I can't use a package. I'll be staying with my daughter at her home in Pelham (that's why I'm going). Site 59 only offers packages.
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 09:12 AM

how about cheaptickets.com or priceline?
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 09:18 AM

I would not rule out the Newark arrival. It is not all that far from Pelham, probably an hour trip from there.

Also there are shuttle services that go from LGA to Westchester, your daughter should be able to get you more info on those.

Another option would be to fly into Newark and take the bus into the City to Grand Central and then take the Metro-North to Pelham. Yes it will add more time to your trip but if you are traveling litely, it should not be that much of a hassle.

Congratulations on the almost new arrival.
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Cheaptickets offers those trips that connect through various cities, making the trip really long. Their prices aren't all that spectacular either when you convert them to $CAD. As for Priceline - I'm a bit nervous about that one, to be honest. I've never used them. My concern is that I'd end up paying a good rate but getting those 8-hour-long travel days. Sorry I'm being so picky - I think I need to win the lottery and just pay for a ticket!
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Wantsomesun - I think I might just do what you suggest. Jetsgo is remarkably cheap and I'm familiar with the Metro-North - they live right across the road from the train station in Pelham, actually. That's probably my best option - at least that's what I've been thinking.
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 09:27 AM

Meesthare,
You can choose a "flight and car" option on site59. That's the one that was also $280. Might be worth a last minute check. Not that you want to deal with a car, but hey, you can do the run to Buy Buy Baby on 23rd and 7th Avenue without taking a cab! Could come in handy...
(that's what my mom did )
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 09:51 AM

Meetshare.....You can purchase the "package" and not use the car.Thats what is called a "throw away".Who cares if you don't use the car or hotel??? You just pay for it go on.....
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 10:04 AM

The chances of getting a bargain airfare to Westchester Airport are not great. So, you're probably best off trying for Laguardia. (Also, I'm not even sure that you can easily fly from Toronto to Westchester, regardless of cost.)
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Howard - I can fly with Air Canada for the same price to Westchester as to LGA, but that's the only airline that flies direct from here. The rate is actually very good, and this week they've got a websaver that's even cheaper. The problem is that to get the good rate I have to book well in advance, or hope that the websaver special is offered when I want to go.
What a happy dilemma this is!
Thanks, everybody, for all your suggestions. I'll let you know what transpires. The baby is due in early November - my daughter has tickets to a concert on the 6th, so she has announced she won't be going into labor until after that.
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 03:31 PM

I don't know the distances, but could you fly into a Connecticut airport?
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

My kids have requested that I fly into either Westchester or LGA, because it's easy for my son-in-law to pick me up at either of those two airports. I could make my way from Newark, although I get the sense that they would like to come and get me, and I want to make it as easy for them as possible.
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 04:57 PM
GoTravel

I'd fly into Newark and then take the train into Penn Station. From there, you can make arrangements with them to pick you up at a destination.