Reload this Page >

Brewster & Orleans, MA restaurant recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 05:22 PM
April

Hi, I'm traveling up to the Cape area with my mother and I'd like to take her to a couple of nice restaurants in the Brewster and Orleans area. Any particular recommendations?

I've been searching and High Brewster in Brewster, and the Barley Neck Inn in Orleans sound interesting. Could anyone please tell me a bit more (food, ambiance, service, etc.) about either of the places? I'd appreciate any help. Thanks a lot.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 06:37 PM
Cathy

I have heard great things about High Brewster but have not been there. We have enjoyed the Brewster Fish House- which is small, quaint and great food- they do not take reservations so you must go and wait. (Medium priced)Friends just went to Bramble Inn in Brewster for dinner and loved it- very gourmet and expensive but they felt it was well worth it and atmosphere was charming. Our favorite this summer was the Cape Sea Grille in Harwichport- it is in an old Sea Captains house on Sea Street in Harwichport and the food was wonderful. They have their menu on their website which I think was www.seagrille.com. We went to Christians in Chatham which I really felt was overrated. Have fun!

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 06:44 AM
Dan Kelsey

In East Orleans, try the Nauset Beach Club. A postage-stamp sized, funky place with a great wine list. Good food, laid back, close to the beach and it shows in demeanor. On an even more causal note, do you want sandwiches for the beach? Try Ron's deli, also in East Orleans (try the "deli belly buster").

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 11:46 AM
April

Hi, Cathy and Dan. Thank you both so much for your responses, your suggestions sound great, I am checking into them.

To anyone else. Would appreciate any other recommendations. Still interested in hearing more about High Brewster, especially after Cathy's comment. What's the atmosphere like in this restaurant? I am looking for a quaint and beautiful, with terrific food and service. My mom loves roosters, and I've heard that their dining room is filled with them. Can anyone comment? Thanks so much.

Old Sep 2nd, 2001, 06:33 PM
Cathy

Hi April, I looked up High Brewster in the 2001 Zagats guide for Boston area and it got great reviews, the atmsophere and food are supposed to be great. Do plan on spending a lot of money as I have heard it is very pricey yet worth it for a special treat. I would call and see if they could fax you a copy of their menu or see if it is online- their phone number is
508-896-3636. I imagine you need reservations. A fun place for lunch in orleans was Abba- great sandwiches and yummy desserts! Chillingsworth in Brewster always gets raves reviews- again very pricey. Have fun- let us know where you end up going!

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 04:29 PM
Christine

We like the Jail House Tavern in Brewster/Orleans - can't remember which.
Not chi-chi but quaint - good food - fair prices.

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 05:20 AM
April

Hi, Cathy and Christine. Thanks for your help. It's been really hard to choose because everything looks so great.

I like your suggestion, Cathy, about asking High Brewster to fax me a menu. They don't have a website and it has been hard to find out any information on them.

Yes, I figure on needing reservations for a place like High Brewster, but now I'm thinking about the other nights we'll be there. We're going in the next couple of weeks and I've been reading that weekends in September are just as packed as the height of the season up there. Do I need to make reservations for every night we'll be there? Or is it feasible to just walk in and be seated, especially on weekends? If it makes a difference my mom likes to eat fairly early, around 6:00pm. Once again, thanks for all the great input.

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 06:10 AM
topping

Can anyone else please help? Thanks.

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 07:06 AM
topping

Topping again. Anymore information? Thanks.

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 06:48 PM
Cathy

I think it would be a good idea to have reservations for the places that take them as Septmeber can be busy on the Cape esp. on weekends and our weather has been perfect Indian Summer weather so more people will venture to get in a few more weeekends.
I think eating earlier will be helpful but you don't want to be disappointed. Check out Brewster Fish House (it was a quaint little place/charming/wonderful menu) on Rt 6A in Brewster (it is not a fried seafood place it is an upscale menu) they do not take reservations but people go and put their name in. My other favorite was Cape Sea Grille- such a nice night there- service and food was wonderful- a definite favorite. I did read somewhere that High Brewster is owned by Chillingsworth maybe they have a website. How many nights are you there for? New Moon in Harwichport is also getting rave reviews that is on Rt 28 in the little downtown area- a bit more casual than the others I have mentioned but a very nice menu. There are so many great places you cannot go wrong- you could always make a few reservations then check out the menu's while in the area and cancel the ones you don't like.

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 07:36 PM
Beth

I thought the Inn at High Brewster closed.
Chillingsworth has the "formal" side, and the bistro side. Both are excellent. If you want venture a bit south, Wequassett Inn has a lovely dining room with great ocean views. A half hour north of Brewster on 6A are two fairly new restaurants, can't remember their names, but one was Mediterranean and one was Japanese. Again, both are excellent.
You MUST have a reservation for any of these places on the weekend. The Brewster Fish House does not accept ressies, so go mid-week and early (before 6m). Have fun!

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 05:27 PM
April

Hi, thanks everyone for your helpful advise. It's really been appreciated.

Beth, thanks for your recommendations and you are so right about High Brewster. It is now a private residence. I am disappointed, I know my mom would have loved all their roosters I heard about. Oh well.

Cathy, the Bramble Inn sounds interesting, so does the Cape Sea Grille. You've already been so helpful, but would you mind telling me what the atmosphere and decor of the Cape Sea Grill was like?

One last thing, I thought I we might try the Regetta of Falmouth while we were in that area, and I found out that they're also closed (I can't believe my luck!). Has anyone been to their sister restaurant the Regatta of Cotuit? I've heard their food and service is great, but that their dining rooms are very small, I can't see how this would go over real well with my claustrophobia. Any comments or advice? Once again, thanks so much.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 05:49 PM
Beth

I've been to the Regatta of Cotuit! Well, I don't think the rooms are so small to aggravate claustrophobia . . . But the dining room I ate in was at the top of a long flight of stairs. Can your Mom do stairs? They had lovely presentations (I had ostrich - a delightful red meat!), but that's quite a haul from Brewster.
Is there a reason why Chillingsworth is out? The menu is prix fix, so you'll know pretty much the cost ahead. The service is totally attentive and indulgent! The decor is full of antiques and interesting knick-knacks, and the music is generally contemporary mellow (jazz and such). It has the reputation of being one of the best restaurants in America!
The Wequassett Inn in Chatham has a more open feel, with picture windows overlooking the ocean. Go before dark! The food was very chi-chi; tiny portions, big presentation.
Also on 6A - I beleive Harwich - is the Red Pheasant. This is a converted barn, not particularly well-lit - but extrememly popular. The food has the reputation for consistant excellence, although my one meal there was fair. (Don't get the free range chicken!) I have never been back to try again, as I can never get a reservation!
Any of these would make fine choices for a special evening out. April, don't stress over the "perfect" restaurant. Your mother will be so happy just to be away with you, so you can both have each others undivided attention! My mom and I made annual Mother's Day weekend trips to Chatham for years. They are very precious memories.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 06:02 PM
Cathy

Bramble Inn is a very charming Inn with dining in several smaller rooms. Menu is very gourmet,expensive and upscale.They also have a few guest rooms.
Brewster Fish House looks like a Cape Cod Syle home on outside and inside is one open dining area that does not seat more than 60 maybe...small bar area to left and little benches outside and flower menu is fresh fish,risotto's- upscale contemporary fresh cuisine.
Cape Sea Grille- look on website for menu- it is in an old Sea Captains House very pretty. Dining area is white table clothes and many different areas on first floor of house in which to dine. It is on Sea Street and within walking distance to Sea Street Beach - the Sea Heather Inn is across the street. the night we went it was busy and people were more dressed up than casual cape attire. Menu-our group had halibut, boulibaisse, crab cakes, beef tenderloin and the Cape Sea Grille- which was lobster, salmon, swordfish wrapped in bacon and grilled shrimp. Every entree was wonderful! Since you seem so uncertain I would make a few reservations and decide when you arrive- what town are you staying in? Ask the hotel or inn for their suggestions too!Do you like french food? another very charming place in Harwichport on Rt 28 is L'Aoulette- very pretty french decor and lovely menu. reservations needed.
Let me know where you end up going!

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 06:00 AM
April

To Beth and Cathy:

We were scheduled to fly out next week, but in light of recent horrible events I'm not sure if we will. I just wanted to let you both know how much I appreciate your willingness to help me, and I sincerely hope that you and your families were not personally affected. Cathy, if we do decide to go I will definately let you know where we went. If we don't, please know that I will keep in mind both of your great suggestions for a future visit. Once again, thank you both so much.