Search

Brew Pubs--Portland

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 11:12 AM
Tony

Brew Pubs--Portland

Since Portland has so many Brewpubs, I was hoping for recommendations, especially for ones with the best happy hour specials and friendly atmosphere.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 11:45 AM
sightseer

I like the Widmer Pub for Monday Night Football happy hour. Good burgers and beer.

If you want to take in a movie and drink beer, check out one of the McMenamins theaters: Mission or Bagdad theater.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 12:15 PM
Kameha

We really liked Rock Bottom Brewery. Great beer, food, and atmosphere. We also enjoed the beer at Bridgeport. If you get out of Portland we found several great brew pubs, especially Wild Duck in Eugene.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 12:19 PM
Melissa

Rock Bottom is a chain, just in case you were looking for a local brewpub. we have 2 that I know of down in San Diego.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 12:24 PM
Chad

Widmer's is one of my favorites. Sightseer, maybe I'll run into you there one of these Monday nights when I'm in town on business.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 01:01 PM
beergood

I like McMenamin's. Try Kennedy School for a fun atmosphere. Also the Lucky Lab on SE Hawthorne is a fun one.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 03:32 PM
Todd

Does McMenamin's still cut you off after 4 beers ? A few years ago I went there for lunch and had 2 beers and left. I went back later for dinner around 6 PM (same bartender) and I was cut off after 2 beers because they had a company policy of 4 beers per person per day, no exceptions. I was staying at a Day's Inn right behind the pub and I was walking back after dinner. I could see it if I drove there and plopped down and chugged 4 beers but this was two different meals. Good beer, stupid policy. I never went back to McMenamin's and their "beer police".

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 04:13 PM
sam

What are cool pubs near the Heathman Hotel for Thursday, Friday, Saturday night? How close is Widmere from the Heathman? Any classy Martini or Wine Bars near the Heathman for a Friday or Saturday night? Thank you.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 05:09 PM
pdx

I've never heard of such a policy at McMenamins. Must have had something to do with Todd's attitude or behavior. I was just at one of their pubs on Sunday afternoon and we each had around 6 beers over the course of watching games. We then walked home after having a burger.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 08:51 AM
pdxer

Great bar in the Heathman. Also try Higgins, just a block away. Great restaurant (but pricey) and a good bar with lots of excellent beer choices and great 'tinis as well. Saucebox is a little farther away, but a great martini place. There are no real brew pubs right downtown, but Bridgeport in the Pearl is not too far and you can take the new streetcar to get there. There might be others in the Pearl, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment. check Citysearch.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Jane

Question on wine bars near Heathman -- there used to be a place, I believe called SouthPark, on a corner near the park blocks not to far from the Heathman which had a great wine list, and good bar food -- as well as a nice restaurant attached.