Reload this Page >

Breathing issues when visiting volcanos

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 06:39 PM
tukiebird

Having a mild case of asthsma, was wondering what I should be aware of when visiting Haleakala/Maui and Volcano National Park (Big Island). Would be interested to hear about anyone's past experience on how the altitude in these locations may have affected them. Many Thanks.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 07:00 PM
helen

Haleakala is a rapid gain in elevation from sea level - one of the quickest changes in elevation on earth according to the handout from park headquarters. My elderly mother had trouble staying awake in the car because of the changes on the body. When climbing stairs and walking around at the top do it slowly until you get a feel for the amount of oxygen your body needs.

Volcanoes National Park is a different issue. It is not so much the elevation as the fumes and gases that may be blown your way from the many vents and fissures on the volcano. Consult with park headquarters.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 11:10 PM
crys

I also have mild asthma, and have visited both Haleakala and VNP a few times. I had no trouble at Haleakala. At VNP, I've been there when the volcano was quite active and had no problem. I did have a problem once when the volcano was less active, so who knows? I'd say go but be sure to bring your inhaler.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 03:51 AM
Ellen

My son's asthma acts up over lots of things, but never did when we went to the BI. And he spent an hour intrigued by the sulfur vents (yuck!). Isn't most asthma an allergic reaction, which would be more likely to be triggered by organic stuff rather than the stuff a volcano sends up?

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 05:15 AM
tukiebird

Thanks everyone for your input. Will definitely be prepared with meds before the tours. My asthsma is such that the wierdest things will set it off (the fumes may be an issue), so I will prepare for any situation. Again, thanks for your quick responses.

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 03:59 PM
JMM

I have mild asthma and found being near some of the more active sulpher vents in VNP bothered me a bit. We just did not spend a lot off time anywhere there were signs advising people with breathing problems not to linger. It really was no big deal. I think with moderate precautions you will be fine.