Bozeman to Yellowstone route in July

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2015, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We (newly retired couple) are flying from Oregon (after visiting family in Bend) to Bozeman in late July. We're spending a few days in Yellowstone and a couple days in Jackson before flying back to Boston out of Salt Lake City. Which route do you suggest we take from Bozeman? I see from Google Earth a few routes... 287, 191, 89. Can anyone enlighten me as to which is the shortest, longest, most scenic? Our flight arrives at 12:45, so we'll pick up our car, grab lunch and head south.

Thank you!
Old Dec 12th, 2015, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

One more thing please... I'm ready to purchase our four flights for this trip and just realized the flight from Portland, OR to Bozeman is on Alaska Air's Bombardier, a prop plane. This is the same as we always take to Bend but that's only a 45 minute trip which I'm ok with. BUT I'm not the best flyer and am a bit leery of hour and forty-five minutes in a prop plane to Bozeman. We can fly to Salt Lake non-stop from Portland on a jet. But looks like a long drive to Yellowstone (we'd get in late day & stay overnight.) Please help me decide!
Old Dec 12th, 2015, 09:11 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you have a rental car from the Redmond airport for your time in Bend?
I live 50 miles south of Bend and the last 2 times I went to Yellowstone I drove with an overnight stop in Idaho.
If you must fly, see if there is a direct flight to Spokane.
Coming from the north it is US 89 from Livingston to Gardiner. The Roosevelt Arch is the north entrance to Yellowstone.
Coming from Bend, I use US 20 to get to West Yellowstone.
The Central Oregon Breeze is a good bus service from Bend, Redmond and Madras taking passengers to both the PDX airport and the Amtrak station.
Old Dec 12th, 2015, 09:48 AM

Details on the Central Oregon Breeze - http://cobreeze.com/where-when/
You might even use it from PDX to Bend or the RDM airport.
You can rent a car in Bend instead of the RDM airport.
Old Dec 12th, 2015, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Hi tomfuller and thanks for your quick reply! We've used the Breeze and also rented at PDX before, but we don't need a car while in Bend as staying with family. We're not opposed to driving from Bend to Yellowstone and did plan at first to rent a car in Bend for the drive with the idea of staying in Boise area which looks about half way. Would you say it takes about 12 plus hours from Bend to West Yellowstone? We want to see as much of the west as possible and would consider driving but wondering what is that drive like? Flat, mountainous, scenic... all of the above?

Thanks!
Old Dec 12th, 2015, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Hi again, we do rent in Bend itself as opposed to the airport as it's cheaper. We would, of course, need to pay a drop off fee but if we drop off in Salt Lake and not at the airport, the drop off fee is about half.
Old Dec 12th, 2015, 10:23 AM

191 through Big Sky which is a nice stop to West Yellowstone. Last visit there was a lot of road construction that they do in the summer so expect a few delys on those roads but is a pretty ride.
Old Dec 12th, 2015, 10:25 AM

I took a prop from Salt lake and it was really fun. You are flying over mountains and it is beautiful on a clear day.
Old Dec 12th, 2015, 01:27 PM

US 20 east of Bend is through the High Desert all the way to the Snake River (265 miles). Once you get on I-84 in Idaho the speed limit goes up to 80MPH for some long stretches.
I go at least to Burley and have driven as far as Idaho Falls.
Once you get to the end of the 4 lane section of US 20 near St. Anthony, ID the travel gets slower through the Targhee NF. I'm hoping that the construction over the Targhee Pass will be completed by the time you get there.
Old Dec 12th, 2015, 01:56 PM

The Amtrak alternative (which you probably won't like).
Have family take you to Chemult by 8PM. Take the Coast Starlight to Sacramento (arrives by 6:30AM).
You have a nearly 5 hour layover in SAC waiting for the California Zephyr. Take the Zephyr to Salt Lake City. The drawback is that the CZ arrives in SLC between 3 and 4 AM.
Have a good breakfast (Denny's 24 hour) and then pick up the rental car at the SLC airport when the rental counters open.
The question is can you tolerate about 25 hours in coach seating plus the 5 hour layover? At least on the train you can walk up to the sightseer lounge or to the dining car.
Old Dec 12th, 2015, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

We actually took Amtrak once from Portland to Glacier and really enjoyed it. But at 25 hours, to Sacramento and then Salt Lake City, it's too long. So we'll fly & now need to decide if to Bozeman or Salt Lake City.

flpab, thanks for your input regarding flying on the prop plane. If we do that, how long can we expect it to take on Rt. 191? Taking into consideration there may well be construction.

And if we fly into Salt Lake, I'm reading 322 miles to West Yellowstone taking Rt 15 and then onto 20. Can you tell me what type of driving we can expect?

Thank you!
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 08:04 AM

I would vote for the prop plane over the long drive any day. It sounds like driving would cost you a whole day of vacation - I'd rather fly and spend that time in the park instead of on the road.
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

WhereAreWe, we do like to drive through parts unknown (did Zion, Bryce, Antelope, Grand Canyon & Sedona for the first time in Sept and loved it) BUT I do feel like you, that we should use that time for the park.
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 12:20 PM

1 h 45 min (90.9 miles)

via US-191 S
1 h 41 min without traffic
Bozeman Yellowstone International Airport
850 Gallatin Field Road, Belgrade, MT 59714

Take Alaska Rd S, E Cameron Bridge Rd and MT-85 S/Jackrabbit Ln to US-191 S/Gallatin Rd in Four Corners
16 min (9.0 mi)

Follow US-191 S to N Electric St in West Yellowstone
1 h 30 min (81.9 mi)

Turn left onto N Electric St
4 s (39 ft)
West Yellowstone, Mt
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank's so much for the detailed directions! I'll be sure to print this off!
Old Dec 17th, 2015, 02:54 PM

Definitely vote to fly into Bozeman. Lots of nice little places to grab lunch on Bozeman's downtown Main Street if you have time - otherwise you can grab something closer to the airport or on the way to 4 corners as you head out of Belgrade using flpabs directions. 191 through Gallatin Canyon is my favorite drive and IMO the best way to get to West Yellowstone.
Old Dec 17th, 2015, 04:30 PM

If you fly into SLC you can rent and drop off the car at the same place saving you drop off fees which can sometimes double the cost. Compare what your rates would be going either way.

Plus, if you do a round trip from SLC you can do a loop in Yellowstone, entering in from the Tetons and south entrance and leaving via the West.

It is about 5 hrs from SLC to West Yellowstone or Jackson via any road you take. Some are slightly longer or slightly shorter but not really enough to make a difference.

If we are going to Jackson and want the no nonsense route we take I-80 to Evanston and then take the road that starts as 89 north to Cokeville. The road numbers change frequently, but follow the signs to Afton or Jackson...

The scenic route is generally considered to be I-15 north to Brigham City then Hwy 89 to Jackson.

If we are going to West Yellowstone/or coming from there we take Hwy 20 to I-15.
Old Jan 31st, 2016, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Hello, we've had some interruptions in our plans over the last month or so and now they've changed a bit. We won't be visiting family in OR on this trip after all. We'll now be flying directly in and out of Salt Lake City. All flights from Boston to Bozeman or Jackson are way too much for us. InSandy, I have your directions - thank you so much!

I have some lodging questions please. I do understand why it's so high but just can't pay close to $300 a night. I'm looking at around $200 in West Yellowstone for which there are some, but I'm a bit gun shy about booking. I would love advice from anyone who has stayed in West Yellowstone at lodging that's in this medium price range. And if we can't find lodging inside the Park (I'll keep checking right up to the last minute), should we stay in West Yellowstone for the five nights? Is there a benefit to staying in Gardiner for instance for half of the time?? We'll be staying in Jackson area for a couple nights after.

Thank you for any and all help!
Old Jan 31st, 2016, 05:48 PM

Yes, if you can't get lodging at Mammoth, get a reservation at a motel in Gardiner. In August 2014 I stayed for about 9 nights for free at a small cabin at the OTO ranch working on a Passport in Time project. The OTO is about 10 miles north of Gardiner.
Old Feb 1st, 2016, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks tomfuller! I've been online all day yesterday and this morning checking lodging posts and lodging websites. As of now, nothing inside the Park so will check Gardiner and call about cancellations. Also, I'm looking at Signal Mountain Lodge after we leave Yellowstone. We can get a one room cabin for $189. No fridge though. I've been looking at Jackson for lodging but see lots of people stay at Signal so we may do that or stay one night at there and one night in Jackson.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -