Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Boy am I ticked...Marshall Field's no more...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2005, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...wsbreaking-hed

As a lifelong Chicagoan and Marshall Field's shopper, I couldn't be more disgusted right now...And for all those who think I'm overreacting, what would NYC be without Macy's or Bloomingdales'?
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 08:14 AM

And what will Boston be without Filene's!
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 08:22 AM

Maybe you could explain why you are so upset? You do realize this is just a name change? All of the Lazarus' here in Cincinnati were changed to Macy's and there wasn't really any change to the actual store at the time (though they are now totally expanding our Macy's since it is supposed to be a flagship store and seems like it will be really fantastic).

At least to me, the Marshall Field's name doesn't really carry the weight of the other stores mentioned (if it did, they probably wouldn't be changing it). Wasn't it just a few years ago that Marshall Fields's was owned by the same company as Target?

I can understand being saddened, but being disgusted seems a bit harsh. At least to me.
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Exactly my point! Why is it that everything has to be the same everywhere you go!
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 08:26 AM

Why? Hmmmm . . . . could it be . . . MONEY??? They wouldn't make the change if they didn't think it would be a profitable decision.
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Snowrooster, I was posting at the same time as you. I am disgusted b/c Marshall Field's is a Chicago institution. Perhaps you've never been here but the State Street flagship store is a tourist attraction and historical site. It's quality of merchandise is better than Macy's IMO. I am also disgusted b/c I am tired of shopping anywhere in this country and having it be the same everywhere. You could be dropped in any shopping area in NYC, Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, yes, even Cincinnati and have no idea where you are-- it's Gap, Macy's, Pottery Barn everywhere. I realize that the merchandise won't likely vary much and yes, it was purchased by Target but at least they realized the value to a local identity and left it Marshall Fields, and no, it was not Marshall Field's name on Target merchandise.
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

yes, I'm absolutely sure it's money, and by changing the name to Macys (viewed here as slightly subpar to Fields) they are likely hoping to boost their Bloomingdales sales. I understand corporate America and I'm all for capitalism, trust me, but I still find it extremely frustrating that every decision to boost some fat cat in a boardroom. I never was a big Gordon Gekko fan.
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 08:33 AM

Very sad...I remember being taken to Marshall Field as a small child, when there was a child-care center staffed with nurses. My most prized wedding present came from that store, purchased by my godmother, and I really felt as though I was getting married when that package arrived.
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 08:38 AM

Around here, it will be far more than a name change. The flagship downtown Boston Macy's and Filene's are right across from each other, so one will close, and likewise at the closest mall the Filene's will merely disappear. Although much of their merchandise is the same, the operations of the two stores are significantly different; I haven't even entered Macy's in years, even when my niece worked for them and periodically got major "family discount" coupons for us.

Around Boston, Macy's is a relatively new name; until a few years ago the stores now known as Macy's were a local ancient chain known as Jordan Marsh. So I guess we're already sensitized to them absorbing local institutions.
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 08:41 AM

I think the perception of Marshall Fields may have changed (at least outside of Chicago). I have been to Chicago several times but do not recall going to Marshall Fields (just the WaterTower - maybe there is one there?). My perception is that Macy's is a higher end store than Marshall Fields, maybe because I'm familiar with the Target association. They may have had different brands, but their websites were linked together (I ordered several things from them both as XMas gifts a couple of years ago). I also bought a comforter from Marshall Fields only to find it listed on the Target website a few months later.

I'm sorry you are sad. I know what you mean about seeing local stores disapear - that has happened in Cincinnati as well with other stores I previously frequented.
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

I know I'm ranting and I beg your patience but MF truly is more than a store, but more like a Chicago institution like Filene's in Boston. The annual Christmas time trips, my grandmother was a die hard Field's shopper, even though she worked 40 years at another local department store and when she was suffering from demetia, she would often slip into her "Field's" zone, asking my mom to come pick her up and take her to Fields. Maybe that's part of the reason why I'm so emotional about it...
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 08:46 AM
JJ5

EEEEEEK! swalter518, I feel your pain.

What will we do without the green bags and SO MUCH MORE.

My father is ticked at the whole world, and this is going to put a cherry on it.
He's 86. And he was one of the Marshal Field Christmas workers/ elves for years and years on a second job. He painted all the names on the Red Rider's with his German script.

Disgusting to lose this singularity! I like Comiskey better too. There IS something in a name. Once the Frangos left, I knew it was going to be short time for the pace and style- but I never thought we would lose the essence. Poof!
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 08:46 AM
GoTravel

The Macy's brand has a much higher name recognition than Marshall Field's or any of the others.

That itself is worth millions in advertising.

Don't fret, department stores are stocked to the demographic. Ever been in a department store somewhere and shocked by how much better or worse the merchandise is than the same store in your hometown?

Old Sep 20th, 2005, 08:49 AM

I feel for you swalter518 !

When Dayton's in Minneapolis was to be no more, many a tear was shed (kidding but serious) people were sad as Dayton's was to Minneapolis, as MF is to the good residents of Chicago. (Remember Mary Tyler Moore throwing her hat up in the air, lol)

But let me tell you, MF was the biggest surprise and such a welcomed replacement for Dayton's. Alas another change on the horizon.

Buy, sell, buy sell. It's a bummer and I feel your pain.

Tiff
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 08:50 AM

That's so sad. To me shopping in Chicago meant two thing ... Marshall Fields and FAO Schwartz. Both gone. I can shop at Macy's anywhere.
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...l=chi-news-hed

Amen to that!
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 08:54 AM
JJ5

Just read the other posts that went on while I was posting previously.

FIELDS is NOT the Water Tower store. When I was a little girl, I was given tea or lemonade and cookies as I played in the toy department while my mother shopped. I was allowed to read books, take toys out of boxes etc. and all supervised. I'm talking circa 1950.

For decades before that M.Field's and the building on State St. were the icons of high end shopping for the entire world. They are no more comparable to Macy's than Wal-Mart is to Carson's.

My father was a part-time employee and the Employee Christmas party was something that would take me a book to describe. We had rooms of Cozy Cloud Cottage. Not only Santa, he was just the chief. You had to start at Uncle Mistletoe and work your way up to Mrs. Santa first. We wore GLOVES and CRINOLINES and all the boys ties. I can remember my brother having a black velvet M.Field jacket as a give-away for the party. There were ballrooms of tables with punch, cookies and desserts. There was a live band, NO orchestra.

So sorry to hear that people think M.Field's is a Target in their estimation. Do you know it took them a full warehouse located off of State St. just to store the Christmas ornaments?

What advertising?? Who cares?? All the tourists go to WaterTower and the glitz anyway.
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 08:56 AM
E

Actually, Target didn't purchase Marshall Field's. The parent company, which began as Dayton's in Mpls, created the Target chain. When Target consistently outperformed MF's, the parent changed it's name to Target.
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 09:00 AM

WOW, is this our biggest problem in this country?
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 09:01 AM

One thing that seems to stand out from the folks who know and love Marshall Fields on this thread is that their fondness is all for things that happened many years ago, during childhood, etc.

So I ask, is the Marshall Field's today still the Marshall Field's of your memories? Do the things you remember most fondly about it still take place today, or did those things in fact cease years ago? Maybe if it was still today what it was back then there wouldn't be the need for a change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -