Reload this Page >

Boulders/L'Auberge/Phoenician

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 01:21 PM
Barb

Alrighty! What additional information can my fodor friends offer up. I'm surprising my husband with a five night/six day trip to Arizona in June. I booked 2 days at the Boulders resort (spa and golf package) and then a creek side cottage at L'Auberge in Sedona for two days. We were going to take a day trip (from Sedona) to the Grand Canyon. The last night we will drive back to Phoenix and stay at the Phoenician resort.

We are in our late 20's love golf, the spa, hiking, biking, fine dining and wine...etc., besides the "pink jeep tours" what are some can't miss treasures! I'm a New Yorker and have never been out to the South west!

Thanks friends.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 03:04 PM
Karen

Sounds like you are doing it up right!! Just remember, it will be very hot, cooler at night at the canyon and somewhat cooler at night in Sedona...shorts for golf, hiking and just about everything else. You may find the heat wipes you out a bit more than you expected and you might want to spend some pool time. Hope you have a great time and what a nice surprise.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 05:37 PM
Grant

Great itinerary Barb...some will criticize you for too much driving but I like those types of trips. Can I introduce you to my wife? She needs some lessons in how to set up great surprise trips like that!
I've stayed at all the above. I also think the order is right, starting at the Boulders, ending at the Phoenician.
One word of advice about the Phoenician: most of the rooms have less than optimal views. Makes little difference to some, but if it's your first time do everything you can to get a room overlooking the pools on the 3rd or 4th floors. Getting one of those during winter is like pulling teeth, but in June they should accommodate you. Don't let them stick you in a mountain view room or in the new addition off behind the driveway entrance. Service at the Phoenician is very Sheraton-esque, but the grounds and pools are beautiful, and the views over the city on your last night will be the perfect wrap-up.
My commendation on the planning. Hope you have a great time.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 05:32 AM
Barb

Karen and Grant,

many thanks for your reply. I will keep in mind the extreme hot weather when finalizing the itinerary. I plan on calling the Phoenician also; just to make sure I don't get an "okay" room!

Kindest regards, Barb

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 03:43 PM
Susan

There is a fun, funky, very casual restaurant in Carefree near The Boulders called The Horny Toad. The BBQ is great but you must leave room for the strawberry shortcake. Have fun!

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 08:56 PM
JackieC

No offense, Susan but I had dinner at the Horny Toad and thought it was perfectly awful. I felt sure it was a tourist trap. I live in Carefree and back up to The Boulders. The best restaurant I've tried so far is Uncle Louie's Italian. Inexpensive compared to dining at The Boulders but excellent food! The place is packed with locals in the winter but summer shouldn't be too bad. It's in the far nw corner of the Walgreens/Albertson's shopping center on Scottsdale/Carefree Hwy. I'm still new to Phoenix but it's beautiful here. I hope you have a wonderful vacation.