Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Boston's Best - Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 1999, 08:01 AM
Michelle

I need help. Seems like all the guide books rate these two hotels as the best in Boston. Any comments on either one as far as your experiences would be appreciated. Looking for a great room for a memorable vacation with hubby next July. Thank you.

Old Oct 1st, 1999, 08:42 AM
Neal Sanders

Michelle, this question has popped up once or twice before, and you may want to try the archives. But I'll also offer my own view, having stayed at both.

The public areas of the Ritz-Carlton are more grand and more "old world," the rooms at the Four Seasons, especially the "executive" rooms or junior suites, are larger and more modern. The dining at both hotels is top notch.

In short, you will not be disappointed which ever hotel you choose. I know the Four Seasons has an upgrade program for Platinum card holders; that may tip the balance. Be sure to specify a room overlooking the Public Garden (they're more expensive, but pulling back that curtain to reveal the park below you is an experience in and of itself).

Old Oct 1st, 1999, 09:04 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Michelle, I haven't stayed in either one, but the Ritz would be my choice due to its location right on the corner of the Commons and, as Neal mentions above, the "old world" style of the Ritz. The 4 Seasons strikes me as a nondescript brick box from the outside.

Old Oct 1st, 1999, 09:03 PM
Donna

I would hardly call the Four Seasons non-descript. It is positively beautiful inside and the service is spectacular. The dining room (one of the finest in Boston) and lounge overlooking the Public Gardens have just a fine a view as the Ritz. We also enjoy the Ritz. Agree that it's very old world style. And, THE most romantic place for spending an evening with one's husband would be dining and dancing on the Ritz Roof. Glorious views, exquisite food, awesome orchestra, and spectacular ambience. Book way ahead, take your best dress and have a wonderful time! Not to confuse you, but the Boston Harbor Hotel, right on Rowe's Wharf, is terrific in the summertime. Be sure to see who's performing at the BankBoston Pavilion during your visit. (It's in walking distance of the Boston Harbor Hotel.) Another romantic way to spend the evening in the summertime, with drinks after on the deck of Jimmy's.

Old Oct 2nd, 1999, 09:44 AM
Beth

I haven't stayed at either, so I can't directly be of help. I have stayed at the Boston Harbor Hotel, and I love it, so you might consider that as a third choice. (Its high priced, but not quite as expensive as the others). But I did want to mention that Biba is downstairs at the Four Seasons and is one of the best restaurants in Boston. Whichever hotel you stay in, you might consider reservations for a dinner at Biba.

Old Oct 2nd, 1999, 11:14 AM
sgorces

I was at the Ritz last week, and I think the rooms with a view of the Swan Boats area of Boston Commons have to be the best around. I haven't been to the
Four Seasons, but the location of the Ritz is as purely Bostonian as you can get. P.S. Buy lobsters to travel from James Hook rather than the airport. Hook is on the way to the airport, half the price, only $5.99/lb. for up to 1.5 lbs. and outstanding.