Reload this Page >

Boston to Maine coast in September

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 06:31 AM
Sharon

My husband and I will be flying in to Boston the last weekend in September for a 4 day visit. We would like to visit the Southern Maine costal area for the first time. I would appreciate any suggestions for places to stay and "must see" areas within 4 hours of the Boston Airport.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 08:31 AM
Dan

I really like the Lighthouse in York.
Portsmouth NH is worth a couple of hours too.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 10:20 AM
mark

Great time to go. I would highly recommend going to Freeport, and Kinnebunkport. Also, you might consider Salem, Mass. and Rockport. That whole area is beautiful, and the people are really friendly.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 05:48 PM
Donna

I'd recommend driving through the White Mountains of New Hampshire where the fall foliage will be spectacular!

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 08:53 AM
mike

Kennebunk and Kennebunkport, ME are great places to visit. The White Barn Inn is in Kennebunkport and is has one of the highest rated restaurants in the Country. Further up the coast is Freeport, Maine which has the Harraseeket Inn and is close to LL Bean.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 01:27 PM
Sharon

Thanks so much for the advice. I think we can do all of these things in 4 days. Do you think we would be making a mistake by staying in Portland? Would Kennebunkport be a better choice?

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 02:46 PM
Mainah

No, you will be much better off staying in Portland than Kennebunkport. Where are you staying in Portland? Portland's Old Port is a lot of fun. There are some cute shops, a great bookstore (Books Etc.) and many good restaurants not including DeMillos which is a big, yucky tourist trap. Freeport is fun and close to Portland. Portland is about a two hour drive from Boston, if that helps at all.

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 07:09 PM
Sharon

We recently stayed just south of Portland in Scarborough/Pine Point at a lovely place called the Holiday House. It's right on the beach in a nice quiet area. The beach is gorgeous and there are many nice restaurants nearby. You can check maineguide.com for more info.