Search

Boston to Foxboro

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boston to Foxboro

My son is a huge fan of the Patriots, so during our trip next summer we want to take a day and explore Patriot Place. We won't have a car and a taxi might be too expensive, what is the best was to get there?
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 08:08 AM

Does this help?

http://www.patriots.com/stadium/inde...rtation#public
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 08:13 AM

Unless there's a special event at Gillette Stadium, you're likely out of luck going there via public transportation.

During special events, there are MBTA commuter rail trains that run there from Providence and from Boston's South Station. Here's a wiki link, with all the caveats to be taken into account from wiki entries:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxboro_%28MBTA_station%29

You might consider calling a store at Patriot Place and asking if there's any bus service there. Here's their website:

http://www.patriot-place.com/
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 08:43 AM

Rent a car for the day or maybe take a commuter rail out of Boston to someplace close to 495 (not sure where) then take a cab. Renting a car for the day seems like a better option to me.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 09:17 AM

Mansfield or Norfolk are probably the closest commuter rail stations, but I bet the cab will still cost as much as renting a car for the day. I think a rental is the easiest. Its not too bad of a drive.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 10:00 AM

My guess is that the commuter rail tickets for 3RT will run over $40. I'd guess that cab fare each way from the Mansfield station will run about $20 so train and cab = $80

I'd guess cabfare to and from boston would be $75 each way so maybe $150

I'd guess that a sameday droppoff rental car would be the best option.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 10:56 AM

Next summer? Patriots play 2 home exhibition games in August each year - have you considered trying to get tickets for one of these. Unfortunately, they are almost as difficult to get and cost the same as regular season games - but you could catch a deal from a ticket broker. Also, starting the end of July each year (for this year it is Th 7/29) they hold open-to-spectator practices - which are free. Schedule is posted on Patriots website a few weeks in advance and is subject to change daily - but my DH and DS go each year and find it interesting. So if you can plan your trip towards the end of the summer you might catch one of these. And Patriots have something called "Patriots Experience" during this exhibition time - walk-thru things to see, video skills demonstrations - that type of thing.

There really is no good transportation option to Foxboro near Gillette other than driving (except on game days - and do not know if that includes exhibition games).

Patriot Place is a shopping mall next door to the Patriots stadium. It really has little to do with the Patriots.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 11:41 AM

Sharon might have the closest commuter rail station. You could take a cab from there.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 12:35 PM
cw

You can check on www.mbta.com. I think the Mansfield station is closest. Perhaps you can get a cab from there. But I do think renting a car for the day is your best bet.

Your son will enjoy visiting The Hall at Patriot Place--like a museum for the New England Patriots.
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for all the info. It has been a great help. I found that the PeterPan Bus will take me to Foxboro and back for about $14. My other option since We will also be visiting NY is to leave Foxboro for our last day in Mass. and take the bus to NY when we are done in Foxboro. Then its about $40 per person. The only thing I have left to do is call the bus station and see if there is a place that we can store our luggage.
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 11:24 AM

I still don't think that will be much different then the commuter rails. The bus station is not significantly closer then the Mansfield or Sharon stations. Similar price and it will still require a similar cab ride to the Stadium. I don't think it is a very efficient plan. Perhaps new options will arrive before you arrive - this is a year away, right?

Furthermore, I think that the bus to Foxboro is a local bus, so not clear that you could just grab a cab back to the foxboro station to get on a bus to nyc
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 11:36 AM

The bus stop in Foxboro is slightly less than 5 miles from Gillette stadium. Probably a little bit closer than the rail stations, but may also be harder to catch a cab...at the train station there are likely to be a few cabs waiting. I don't know if that will be the case at a local bus stop.

I really think you will be happier getting a car. If you do it without your luggage, you can get a relatively small car it won't be that expensive. Driving in and out of Boston, to a car rental office really isn't that hard. You may even find that a 1-way car rental, Boston-New York is cheaper than the train or bus for 4 people, and its faster too. I'm not sure what the dropoff charges will be, so maybe I'm wrong on this but you're talking about $160 for 4 bus tickets, right?

And Patriots place is a giant mall. So its not like parking there is going to be a problem.
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 11:55 AM

Ani1120

Unless they have changed the pick up point in Foxboro in the last few years it's a small office in a small out of the way shopping mall - not a place I would leave my luggage and I don't think they will take responsibility for it. Really it is just a pick up/set down point not a bus station.