Reload this Page >

Boston: Things to Do in South End

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 04:56 AM
klam

We are newbies to the Boston area and are spending this Sunday in the South End, as we are seeing a concert there.

Thru reading reviews, we've found a place for dinner already (Giacomo's), but would like to wander around in the afternoon. Are there any particular good "walks" to take in that neighbourhood? What's the parking like there? Any suggestions?

I have noticed very knowledgeable posts on Boston recently, and hope you can help me too!

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 05:58 AM
bos

Parking will be difficult. Maybe Giacomo's has valet? Also, parking is available on Columbus and Tremont Streets which are the main commercial streets in the South End. Of course, these spots will be extremely hard to locate, and you'll have to really squeeze into a tight spot.

Walking up and down Columbus and Tremont would be nice if you want to peruse the multitude of restaurants, shops and bars. If you want to walk into the more residential district, take Warren or Appleton Streets and you'll see all the stereotypical South End townhouses.

If you are coming in for dinner but have a long afternoon, you would probably like to walk down Newbury Street, maybe grabbing some coffee or a light snack at a cafe inbetween looking at the shops.

If you're in the Back Bay you could also stroll down Commonwealth Ave (Comm Ave to locals) and look at all of the mansions. Comm parallels Newbury.

Then you could easily walk to the South End - through the Prudential is an easy way to go, or just walk down Dartmouth St. right to your restaurant.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 04:43 PM
charles

The above is excellent advice generally. I would add that I'm not a huge fan of Giacomos - it does have valet parking. You probably can't use it before the concert.

You might consider South End Galleria if you want italian, or Masa, Aquitaine, Metropolis, Tremont 647, House of Siam, Franklin Cafe and Pho Repulique if you want good food.

Good walking streets are West Canton, Appleton, Union Park, Shawmut, Concord Square, and many others - its a great neighborhood. Try this site www.southend.org

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 04:45 PM
charles

In particular go to the tours part of the website Southend.org,
www.southend.org/neighborhood/tours.php

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 06:19 PM
mjh

Where is the Southend relative to Roxbury? The JFK library? The aquarium? Jamaica Plains? I lived in Boston a long time ago when my understanding was that the South End should be avoided?

I looked at the maps at the southend.org website but still couldn't place it relative to the above places.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 02:19 AM
Ellen

You're right; that map of the South End is an extreme closeup!

The South End is no longer "to be avoided;" it's gone through a major phase of gentrification in the last 30 years, though some areas have changed more than others. The South End is the area of Boston south of the Back Bay -- it starts roughly behind the Prudential Center. If you go west (along Huntington Ave. on their map), you'll come to the beginning of Roxbury, roughly at Massachusetts Avenue. Jamaica Plain is beyond that.

The Aquarium is (not surprisingly) on the waterfront, near Faneuil Hall/Quincy Marketplace. The JFK Library is also on the waterfront, but several miles south of this, in Dorchester.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 04:50 AM
klam

bos and charles...thanx a mint for the great info. I've mapped it out and am ready to go! BTW, great site charles.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 01:36 PM
charles

Your welcome