Reload this Page >

Boston Theater and tips

Search

Boston Theater and tips

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 05:33 AM
Mike

Boston Theater and tips

I am going to be staying in Boston at the Quincy Marriott for a few days coming up and would like to go see some theater. I've heard Blue Man is very good. Are there any other shows that are recommended in the downtown area? Also, if you are familiar with where I am staying do you recommend I keep the reservations or move? Are there any sights that you would recommend in the day time on a Saturday or Sunday? Finally, any good steakhouse suggestions?

Thanks,
mike

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 05:39 AM
xx

The area of your hotel is typical suburbia-there's a very large mall down the road (South Shore Plaza). You will not want to drive into the city from Quincy as traffic on the SE Expressway is not fun. The hotel is located a short distance from the Quincy Adams T station on the red line. There is a large parking garage there, or see if the hotel has a shuttle.
Regarding theater, I enjoyed Blue Man, but it's not for everyone. It's very loud and "different" so to say. If you're in the city early, stop by Bostix (Quincy Market or Copley Sq) to see what discount tickets they have available. Have fun!

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 06:00 AM
Sam

Mike, I would strongly recommend that you bail on the Quincy Marriott and find someplace in town instead.

Several times while riding on the T, I have encountered visitors who think that the Faneuil Hall/Quincy Marketplace area is in Quincy, when actually it's in the waterfront/Government Center area, and the city of Quincy, on the Red Line of the subwy system, is a suburb several miles away from most tourist activities. Don't be embarassed if you've made this error, just switch to a hotel in the Back Bay.

Recommending sights for just a day or two is tricky without knowing what you like. Boston is loaded with all sorts of museums, shopping, sports, theater, historic sites, activities of all sorts.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 02:02 PM
Mike

Sam, what hotels, in order, would you recommend. We'd like to park the car (for a reasonable price of course) and spend our time on foot. I'd love to get a few recommendations. I had picked the Quincy Marriot b/c I have a free night at a Marriott, but I could work something else out I guess.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 04:19 PM
Sam

I'd go for the Marriott at Copley Place -- great location, fine hotel.

Are you arriving by car? That would be the only excuse for having one in the city. Others can give you advice on economical parking.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 10:20 AM
moi

Absolutely stay in town. The Marriott at Copley is great. There is also a Marriot Longwharf on the water, near Fanueil Hall, by part of the Big Dig.
Blue Man is in many towns. Is Shear Madness a Boston thing, or is that around too? It's an audience interactive murder mystery. There are several theatres in town, you're sure to find a seat to something you'll enjoy! If Gershwin Alone is extended at the AmRepT in Cambridge - GO!
For steaks, go to the Capital Grill or the Oak Room.
Finally, make a reservation for a Duck Tour on Saturday. It's a great way to learn your way around town, and to learn some unique facts. I believe it departs from the Copley area. The Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum is a lovely art museum, and the Boston Aquarium is renown. If the weather cooperatives, I'd also do the Freedom Trail walking tour, and stroll around Fanueil Hall.
Have a blast!

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 04:38 AM
Mike

Just bagged the Quincy and am now staying at the wharf...any tips on inexpensive parking in the city?

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 04:50 AM
me

Good decision to move to the Longwharf. The location can't be beat. Parking in town is a nightmare and expensive. I suggest just leaving the car in the hotel's garage or maybe checking out the overnight price in a T station parking lot. Definitely make advance reservations for the Duck Tour. I second the Freedom Trail of weather cooperates. Along the trail, stop on the North End for lunch at Villa Francesca and then dessert at Mike's pastry. Some interesting nightlife is in Fanueil Hall. We like to sit outside of Lily's and have a few drinks and people watch. Comedy shows at Dick's Last Resort. The Rack is interesting too with lots of local sports celebrities hanging out there. Blue Man Group is a great time and like nothing you have seen before. Enjoy your weekend.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 07:14 AM
Ann

Mike, the Gershwin show has been extended once again at the Loeb Theater in Harvard Sq. (it's the Harvard University's theater). Before it continues, Kate Mulgrew of Star Trek Voyager fame is appearing in a one woman show about Katherine Hepburn which also sounds terrific. If you have any interest in either, check the Loeb website. I'd also reccomend Shear Madness over Blue Man Group unless you like seeing fruits smashed onstage (no, haven't seen it so I expect flack...). You'll be much happier staying in town. I hope you find a good place, rather than down in Quincy.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 08:12 AM
NHSandy

There is no inexpensive parking in Boston, you will pay $36.00 a night parking at your hotel.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 08:21 AM
Ann

If you do a search for the Midtown Hotel on Huntington Ave. in Boston, they have free parking, and they're in a good location. Just a thought.

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 05:27 AM
Casey

Does any one have any suggestions for a meal near the theater district, for before or after a show?

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 06:14 AM
Moi

The Four Seasons has a lovely sandwich/dessert dining area at the back of the bar. And of course the fabulous Aujoudhui, but that's best reserved for it's own night! Legal Seafood is also within walking distance.