Search

Boston Subway

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 06:52 PM
Paul

Boston Subway

Traveling from Providence, R.I. towards Boston, what would be the first or best place to get on the subway, "train", "T", whichever/whatever, to get into downtown Boston, specifically the "Common". Do not want to drive into Boston but want to get into town for one day touring. Also, how much would I expect to pay? Thanks.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 08:00 PM
Donna

See www.mbta.com

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 09:05 PM
steve

An exit off of I-93 is plastered with signs for the Braintree T. It's the Redline and it runs downtown every 8-15 minutes. Take it to "Park Street" and you'll be right at the Commons. Should cost about $1.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 05:45 AM
bennie

You can also take the commuter rail from Attleboro,Ma (just over the RI border and about 10 minutes from Prov.) The commuter rail service is part of the "T". If you do drive up to Braintree on a weekday you may find parking tough. Some of the T stops on the Red Line's parking lots fill up early with commuters. Other options are buses and Amtrak directly from Prov to Bos. The commuter rail, bus and Amtrak all arrive at South Station. From there you walk up Summer St. through Downtown Crossing up Winter St. right to the Common.

Any of these options would be less than $10 roundtrip.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 03:05 AM
Joanne

The MBTA Commuter Rail goes right into downtown Providence on weekdays, but only goes as far as Attleboro on weekends. One way fare is about $6. Amtrak follows the very same route but costs far more.

The trains all arrive at South Station, from which you can walk half a mile to the Common, or hop on the Red line towards Alewife and go two stops, to Park Street station.

Bonanza Bus lines (and possibly others) also run right from downtown Providence into Boston.

Don't try picking up the subway in Braintree on weekdays -- the garage fills up very early.