Reload this Page >

Boston sights for a 13 year.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 03:00 PM
john

This will be the 2nd time for my son to tour Boston. He has seen Old North Church, Fanueil Hall, whale watching, Harvard Square, Aquarium and Boston Common. What other ideas do any of you have?
Fenway Park tour? Maybe a half day trip out of town?
Thanks
PS this will be the first week in November.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 03:39 PM
Les

John,
I don't see the Constitution (the ship, not the document) in your list. That should hold his interest for a while. Short walk from there to the Bunker Hill monument - he can climb that to bleed off excess energy. Go to MIT (Kendall Square stop on the Red Line) and walk the "infinite corrider" (ask). There's a cemetary in town (don't remember what church yard it's in, but it's on the Freedom Trail not far from the State House), that houses such notables as Paul Revere and Samuel Adams (and many others), which should also prove interesting.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 03:40 PM
micia

I was there as a kid and saw the home of Betsy Ross (sorry if I don't remember the name of the place).
Have you seen the museum of glass flowers? They are really neat.
There is also a rock museum.
I think I remember these two being at or near Harvard U.
Have you been to any of the science museums?
I had the most fun at them, more so than the Smithsonian.
They were geered towards kids, with many activities set to spark their minds.
Hope your trip is good.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 03:42 PM
Les

More stuff that I forgot in my previous posting.
Take a harbor cruise or Duck Tour (amphibious tour that goes on the streets and into the Charles River).

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 04:43 PM
john

MIT ...he has mentioned that just so he can tell his buds he has been on campus. He did that same thing after he toured Harvard.
The museum and harbor cruise has caught his eye. Keep'em coming. Thanks

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 04:49 PM
bm

Don't know if he likes art, but the Museum of Fine Arts and the Gardner Museum are outstanding.
Take the elevator to the top of the Prudential Tower on a nice day for a great 360 view of the area. If he liked the movie or book "The Perfect Storm", he may like to see Gloucester which is where the events that lead to the book/movie unfolded. Poke around Fort Independence at Castle Island in South Boston. How about the Museum of Science? They also have an IMAX theater there.......I don't think they do Fenway tours in November, but check out www.redsox.com for info. Hope this helps!

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 06:47 PM
Beth

Ummm... I grew up in a Boston suburb, but I think we went to my birthplace of Philidelphia to see the Betsy Ross house!
Definitely take the Duck Tour. Advance reservations are a must.
The science museum has a planetarium, IMAX, and some sort of rock music film thing. Call ahead for schedules.
If you go out to Gloucester, be sure to see the Hammond Castle Museum. (This eccentric inventor built himself a castle on the ocean!)It does close for the off-season, so call ahead before going all the way out there.
Since it's right before T-giving, a trip to olde Plimouth Plantation might be fun. See THE rock, tour a Mayflower replica, and visit the plantation complete with living history actors.

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 03:57 AM
Joanne

I agree with the recommendations for the Museum of Science and the Duck tours. But for an aerial view of the city, I would chose the Hancock Observatory, rather than the Pru. My 13-yo son enjoys Franklin Park Zoo -- take a bus from the Forest Hills subway stop.

I also agree that a trip to Plimoth Plantation would be fun, but that's a full day, not a half-day, trip. And you could include the Mayflower II and the museums in Plymouth.

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 04:00 AM
Joanne

Having walked the "infinite corridor" daily for five years, long before it aquired that nickname, I can't imagine it being a tourist attraction.

If you must go, get there by taking the #1 bus up Mass Ave, as that will put you right in front of the main building, and it's a hike from Kendall.

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 04:20 AM
judy

I know what has interested my 13 year old son in Boston is The Sports Museum, now located at The Fleet Center(www.fleetcenter.com), repeat visits to Harvard Square and Fanueil Hall. He enjoys walking through the ethnic neighborhoods such as the North End and Chinatown - it makes us feel like real tourists (have always lived here)and it feels like we are somewhere very far away.Seeing all the different foods and even whole chickens and animal parts hanging in window fronts is fascinating. My son is not at all into the historical sights. Not knowing what his particular interests are makes this more difficult. When we go away we like to find things to do that really relates to my kid's interests. If for instance he was into basketball then a posible trip out to Springfield to the Basketball Hall of Fame could be good, or if the Patriots are in town, going to a game, or tickets to a show. Both my 13 year old and 15 year old absolutely loved seeing "Sheer Madness". We got half price tickets at Bostix day of show.

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 05:55 AM
Beth

Good ideas!
Blue Man Group would also be a big hit.

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 03:18 PM
micia

Sorry, I got mixed up with Besty Ross and Paul Revere. His house is there. The reason I was mixed up is, I got a Betsy Ross doll and a book about her at Bunker Hill and Monument Square, in Charlestown.
I don't know why they had it there, and I have never been to Pa.
Also, the glass flowers are at Harvard, in the Museum of Natural History.
Since someone else mentioned it, I loved the Constitution. I had lots of fun in Chinatown, but didn't mention it as I wasn't sure if you were from a city that has one.
Anyway, as a kid, one of my favorite souvenirs, came from there.
There is so much to do in Boston.
I think people here have given some really good ideas and you should have a great time doing new things.