Boston - Rain

Old May 8th, 2008, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boston - Rain

We will be traveling from Portland to Boston next week and the weather is predicted to be rainy and cold. Should we still plan to walk the city or is there a tour that will work better for us to do the Freedom Trail? We have done London in the rain and aren't afraid of a little bad weather, but would like advice on this. Thanks for the help.
Old May 8th, 2008, 05:24 AM

I wouldn't put too much stock in a long range forecast.

If it does rain, you could take a duck tour. It will hit the highlights and you'll be covered.
Old May 8th, 2008, 05:27 AM

The weather in Boston always changes and it is getting warmer. Plan on doing the Freedom Trail and if it rains the Science Museum, Museum of Fine Art and Aquarium are all great places to visit.
Old May 8th, 2008, 06:17 AM

its really better to walk the freedom trail, because part of the fun is walking the small streets, and looking at the architecture and people watching as you do it.

even if it is rainy, its unless it is a steady downpour it won't be bad. And I don't think its all that cold.

you may find you spend more time inside some of the buildings on the trail, that's not necessarily a bad thing.
Old May 8th, 2008, 06:47 AM
yk

ditto what others said. The weather forecast is almost never right, esp so much in advance. And it rarely rains heavily all day here. What you'd find is probably some light drizzle. I don't think it'll be that cold either.
Old May 8th, 2008, 06:53 AM

I just looked at the 10 day forecast, and it is for showers rather than all day rain. Temperatures are just a bit below normal for this time of year, but as everyone says, weather forecasts that far out aren't particularly accurate.

Stuff to do if it is showery: MFA, Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum nearby (flower filled courtyard), Harvard Museums in Cambridge, particularly the Natural History museums and glass flowers, JFK Museum in Dorchester and the State Archives nearby.

Back Bay, the South End and Beacon Hill are charming in the rain. Shop your way down Newbury Street, ducking in to spend money or have a bite to eat when the showers get harder. Ditto Harvard Square.

Really pretty much anything except a baseball game should be fine, and even those should be okay.
Old May 8th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Cassandra

Get a see-through plastic umbrella and enjoy walking anywhere you want. I've "done" Beacon Hill in the rain (well, honestly, drizzle) in the spring and it is a lovely memory of flowers and mist and quaint streets.

Old May 8th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

I feel much better. I usually don't let the weather get me down and I really need this vacation - no matter what the weather holds. Thanks!