Boston questions regarding itinerary..

Old Feb 18th, 2005, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boston questions regarding itinerary..

I am putting together an itinerary for our summer vacation.

I have read other postings..but sometimes I find it hard to scroll through everything.

Is Whale Watching good, and worth it. Any suggested tours. i was thinking of the one from the aquarium.

Is the aquarium good, or not a must see unless you have extra time?

Fenway park tours? Is that a good thing to do, or would you suggest something else.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 05:36 AM

Are there kids along?

+ If the kid is young, a whale-watching trip is just a long boring sit on a boat. There is no guarantee you'll see a whale. For grownups, the boat trip itself can be a pleasure. Bring a sweater.

+ I don't even like aquariums, but the one in Boston is a must-see. It fairly new and very cool.

+ The Fenway park tour is good if you admire baseball. Its a beautiful field. If you don't, its just a bunch of walking around.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I really do want to whale watch. I can take my chances with my Son. He is pretty good and loves being outdoors, so it may not be too bad.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 05:47 AM

Based on your prior posts I thnk you have a young child. I wouldn't recommend a whale watch with a child that young - too long, too choppy. You may want to consider a harbor tour instead.

Or stick to the Swan Boats in the Public Garden. Kids love the Make Way for Ducklings statutes near the Swan Boats - great photo op. Buy the Make Way for Ducklings book before your trip - its a classic story and you'll recognize lots of sights once you get here.

The Aquarium would be great as would the Children's Museum both very close to the Wyndam on Broad St.

There are free concerts on the Esplanade which are family friendly.

There's a playground in the Christopher Columbus Park between the Marriott Longwharf and the North End. There's another playground in the Common. Both great spots to give kids a chance to stretch their legs.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, those are the things taht I am looking for. I want my 1 year old to have fun, but I want him to be a kid too. It may take away a little away from us, but in the end, it will make for a much more enjoyable trip for everyone.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Old Feb 18th, 2005, 07:15 AM

in addition to the swan boat rides in the gardens, there are also the duck tours, which give you a fun and quirky tour of the city before actually plopping into the charles river, where passengers are offered the chance to steer the boat for awhile.

the museum of science is neat.

and if you don't fear taking your 1-year-old to nice restaurants, head to the north end for absolutely scrumptious italian dining. get a cannoli at modern pastry.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

The ducks are definitly on our list. It is quite fun. It is not that I am opposed to a good/nice restaurant. I just do not want to be disruptive to others, which is why we will probably go at 5:00.

Keep in mid, my son is only 7 months old right now. I am not sure what the future will bring. However, he is a really good baby, and very good natured. He has already been to LA and was really good, and travels with us in the car up norht Michigan, which is a 5 hour drive.

Let me add though...there is nothing worse thatn crying kid in a restaurant while you are trying to enjoy your meal....that is a whole topic in itself.

Old Feb 18th, 2005, 10:14 AM

We visited Boston when our kids were 7 and 3, and the restaurant experience was unpredictable then. There are quite a few restaurants on Newbury Street with outdoor seating, which is generally more kid-friendly than eating indoors.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 09:56 AM
Original Poster