Search

Boston Pops 7/4

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2002, 12:24 PM
Karen

Boston Pops 7/4

Has anyone been to see the Boston Pops concert/fireworks on July 4th? Is it an absolute nightmare of people and am I better off watching it on TV or actually catching it in person? Are there any "reasonable" boat trips that take you out on the Charles that night other than the Boston Pops own one at $250 a person? Thanks.

Old May 17th, 2002, 12:29 PM
Suzy

Well, whether it's a "nightmare" or not really depends on your reaction to crowds. It's very, very crowded. But everyone is very happy and well-behaved, it can be a really electrifying experience. This year, with patriotism being the national theme, it should be over the top. Allow plenty of time to get home, the T gets incredibly crowded.

Old May 17th, 2002, 12:38 PM
bm

TV does not do it justice. You've got to see it in person. Check with the Museum of Science. I believe they sell tickets to watch it from their property. Not sure about boat trips, but heard there will be new boating restrictions this year due to the events of 9/11.

Old May 17th, 2002, 01:32 PM
Pris

There are a lot of posts on this topic -- try a search on "Boston 4th" or some such.

It IS a wonderful thing and worth doing once in your life. BUT:

My usual advice on this is to focus not on how to get there, where to see best, etc. but on what it will take for you to get back to wherever you're staying after the show is over.

People dribble over to the river banks and the Esplanade area all day long but once the fireworks are over, they ALL -- all 1 million of them -- are leaving the area at the same time. It can be a fairly frightening thing if you aren't where you can get oriented easily and can't walk back to your lodgings. The "T" becomes impossibly jammed up and it could be hours before you actually get on a subway to go anywhere, so most people walk, even if it's a couple of miles. As for having a car and parking anywhere? Hoooooo hahhhhhhh!

So where are you planning to stay? If in town, I'd plot the shortest, most direct route to the river so you'll be able to find your way back in the semi-dark surrounded by thousands of people.

Old May 17th, 2002, 03:33 PM
Suzy

Or just relax for an hour right where you are, THEN head back to wherever, after the crowds have thinned out a bit.

Old May 17th, 2002, 04:09 PM
eman

after the Pops go out for a beer or cofffee & let the crowd disperse a bit. Headt ot theNo End for pastry

Worth going i person