Search

Boston only or add Cape Cod?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boston only or add Cape Cod?

Hi All,
I will be attending a conference in Boston and wanted to arrive early with my husband and 3 yr old son since we have never visited the area. I'm trying to decide if we should stay at the conference hotel and use that as base with a day trip to Salem or Plymouth or take the extra 4 days and go to the Cape or Marthas Vineyard.

Any feedback would be very helpful as I don't know anything of the area just that there is a lot to see and do!

The trip will be the end of may this year, time is running out on me since it's Memorial weekend.

Thank you!
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 04:02 PM

I guess it depends on what you want to do. Boston certainly has plenty of fun things to entertain you for 4 days. I love the Vineyard but for me it's a beach destination and it could be chilly in late May. Same with the Cape.

One thing you could do is take the ferry from Boston to Provincetown. It's a fun place to walk around and would make a good day trip.
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 06:20 PM

The idea about the ferry is a good one, IMO. Kids generally like boats! There is a fast ferry that makes for a feasible day trip. Memorial Day week-end will be busy, unless we have awful weather. Rarely is it summer-like then, but it can be. It can also be 50 degrees. Most likely not an extreme temp in either direction, but you can never rule out chilly and rainy. Therefore, I would go with your idea of the conference hotel as a base, not only for weather considerations, but also for a way to simplify things while traveling with a toddler.
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 10:31 PM

Stay on in Boston, esp if you can continue on the conference rate.

The traffic to the Cape will be awful, and the weather may not be good when you get there.

I live on Nantucket, and the Memorial Day weekend typically begins with a massive sailboat race from Hyannis. Everyone has a great sail out, then the weather goes to hell and half the crews wind up taking the ferry home and leaving the sailboats to limp back. I cannot tell you how often this pattern repeats itself.

With a four year old, the time for the Cape and Islands is mid August to mid September.
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 01:16 AM

We used to camp with a group on Cape Cod every Memorial Day weekend - it was cold and foggy every year, without exception. We would get back to Boston complaining about being soggy and freezing and get to hear everyones stories of sunny and warm weather. Cpae Cod is likely to get you traffic and bad weather. I do not even think the ferry would be the greatest of ideas - your 3 year old is not interested in browsing the shops in Provincetown and just walking around can be accomplished much closer to Boston.

If you want a boat ride, take a Boston Harbor cruise - they have them of all sorts of lengths. If the weather is really nice, take a shuttle to the Boston Harbor Islands. If you get really lucky with weather and have a car, take a day trip to Gloucester or Rockport for the beach for your son.

Plenty to do in Boston for 4 days - and your day trip ideas add to the possibilities. Cape Cod and MV/Nantucket are fun and beautiful, but in the end, they are destinations for beach, relaxing, shopping, eating - and with your family group and time frame, you don't need the travel annoyances for questionable weather. (And if you get a weather report prior to your trip, ignore it - it will be wrong and change)
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 02:39 AM

If you want to go to the coast, the north shore (Gloucester and Rockport area mentioned in the last post)would be closer/easier than the Cape. Crane Beach in Ipswich is nice. You could combine that with a trip to Salem
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your quick responses and feedback! After doing more research, and weather being one of them, we decided to maybe hang out in Boston and head around from there, and now I'm even contemplating not going early at all.

My son is right at the terrible threes stage and I know he won't be happy with just walking and shopping and museums.....boat ride, yes. We are beach people and that's why I was really drawn to the Cape, but after seeing the temps and hearing what you all have to say...no way! (Ackislander & Gail, you two cracked me up, thanks for that!)
We would freeze, we are from New Mexico and will be going from high 80's and some 90's, I don't see enjoyment in that!

We will be staying at the Four Seasons in downtown Boston, the conference will be taking us to a Red Sox game(which is a huge highlight for us), but do you think there is enough for a 3 year old and parents to be entertained for that much extra time, or bag it and just go for conference dates??

Thanks again everyone!
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 01:21 PM

I wouldn't want to deal with traffic in and out of Boston on that Friday afternoon, that Saturday morning, or on Memorial Monday. If you can work around those times, Cape Cod or southern Maine would be a nice trip if the weather co-operates.
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 01:39 PM

Wondering now how many days total. This is how I could see some days (each number would be a day) which would be fun for both adults and your son.

A note about Red Sox game - I know the rest of the country thinks of May as late spring - almost summer. You will freeze to death at the Red Sox game unless you bring layers, including a hat and perhaps even light gloves. Trust me - you will feel like an idiot hauling this stuff into the game, but will look like the smartest person in the group later in the evening.

1. Go to Museum of Science - there is enough stuff there for even a 3 year old. Then take a Duck Tour (one origination point is right outside MOS). Walk down to the Charles River and he can chase birds or squirrels to run off some energy. Watch the sailboats.

2. Take MBTA a stop or 2 to Boston Common/Public Garden (Park St stop). I know you could easily walk it from your hotel, but the train ride will thrill your son. Walk to Public Gardens and ride the swan boats. Pick up some food and have a picnic on the Boston Common. Feed the pigeons. Get a coffee at Dunkin Donuts (it's a New England thing).

3. On a Friday or Saturday, head to Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market. Lots of little shops - will amuse your son for a nanosecond, but open areas he can race around in. Lots of food stalls. Usually some street performers on weekends. The reason to go on a weekend is that you then walk to Haymarket and look at the open air fruit/veggie market - but also big piles of whole fish. He will like those. You could even eat lunch or dinner in North End (Italian area - not called "Little Italy" unless you want to sound like a foreigner)

4. Head to a beach - something that should be interesting since you are from New Mexico. Gloucester, Rockport, Ipswich - my favorite for little kids is Wingaersheek Beach in Gloucester. It is so flat that you can wade forever and not get water above your knees and there are sometimes sand dollars or little shells in tidal pools. Try to do this on a weekday, since I think they start charging for parking on weekend in May. If you don't have a car, take the train to Manchester By the Sea and walk to Singing Beach. Have another picnic or find someplace to eat lobster or other seafood.

5. Boston Children's Museum has recently reopened after massive renovations. It used to be good, is now supposed to be great, but since my kids are now 20 and 24, we don't go there anymore.

6. New England Aquarium - my opinion is that it is an average museum, but kids love it and they have tanks where you can touch and hold nasty sea creatures. You could walk along the waterfront a bit, or even take a short Harbor Cruise (some are only an hour or so) from near Aquarium. If you go to Aquarium on weekday, wait until early afternoon when school groups have left. On weekends, go early.

7. Day trip to Plimouth Plantation or Salem - the first would be more entertaining for a 3 year old than Salem.

8. Walk part of the Freedom Trail, picking the more northern part which includes USS Constitution. You can go aboard and obsess about your son climbing on something and falling into the Harbor.

We have traveled with our kids since they were younger than yours. So I know sightseeing is not going to be his thing. Our kids just loved having us all to themselves for longer periods of time than usual - even if it meant watching some annoying kids show or movie in the hotel. Remember, just being in a hotel, having cute little soaps, riding an elevator can be a thrill to a kid.

Enjoy Boston - my adopted city for 30+ years. Would love it more if it did not snow for 6 months out of the year.
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 01:39 PM

In Boston, ride the swan boats in the Public Garden. But get a copy of Make Way for Ducklings to read to your son before you go.
http://www.swanboats.com/schedule-fares
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Gail, Thank you for the info., I think we will go ahead and get there the 4 days early to check it out. You helped me out tremendously!

Kay, great tip, thank you!

I appreciate all the feedback everyone, safe travels to you all!
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 01:13 AM

Without exception, the favorite 'thing' for my kids when they were under 6 was always the indoor, heated, hotel pool. Does your hotel have one?
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 03:17 PM

Two ideas for you:
Be sure to check out the Boston Harbor Islands. You can pick up the boat on the waterfront and islands are just wonderful for walking, exploring an old fort, etc.
Also, if you want to avoid the Cape traffic (and believe me you do), head down Route 3A South to the beautiful seaside town of Scituate. Lovely harbor with shops and terrific restaurants. Also, Scituate has great beaches and bike paths. There is a hotel (w/pool) in the harbor that I've stayed at and was quite pleased. Hope you have a wonderful time in Boston. It is one of my favorite cities.
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 10:00 AM

I'm not as sold on Scituate as a "must" -- it's a reasonably attractive town in some ways, but Hull is no worse an option in the area and arguably better as it's more compact. Am thinking a visit to Rockport or Provincetown (for two) will provide all Scituate offers and much more. Plus Rockport is easy to reach via commuter rail, which Scituate is not, and Provincetown is easily gotten to via ferry from Boston.
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 11:39 AM

Agree ferry to Ptown is a good idea if the weather is nice. Pilgrim Monument would be a do-able Mt. Everest for a 3 yr old. Lots of places to eat and get ice cream. Could even rent bikes or get a taxi to Race Point for a true Cape beach experience.

One place in Boston that does not get alot of love is Castle Island (not really an island). Cool giant fort, lots of room, playground, and Sullivan's - great hot dogs and lobster roll.
Old May 1st, 2011, 03:20 PM

Hull over Scituate Harbor? Are you kidding? Do you belong to the Hull Chamber of Commerce? You are providing very misleading information as Hull is most definitely NOT "more compact". Also, you fogot to mention the length of the boat ride with a three-year-old. Your response is a real eyeopener to take all info. on this forum with a grain of salt. That is a shame.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 05:30 AM

Hmm...traveling with a 3 year old? Gail does have some good suggestions and I would imagine better to limit touring to Boston (well maybe a trip to Salem or Plymouth or especially Concord). Little guy might like those MBTA rides. But I do like idea from Bowersprit...a youngster may delight in a pool! Of course you shoulod cheer the Red Sox who need all the cheering they can get right now

Bill in Boston
Old May 19th, 2011, 12:44 PM

Glastonbury_Abby, no, I do not work for the Hull chamber of commerce. But Hull at least can be reached via public transportation (one way is via water shuttle from Boston's Long Wharf and then the 714 bus, and this bus continues on to connect with the Greenbush communter rail line at Hingham).

I don't know of any way to reach Scituate Harbor via public transport -- for starters, there's no Greenbush line stop anywhere near there -- and good luck walking the very long way from either the North Scituate or Greenbush stops.

And yes, the interesting things to see in Hull are pretty close by each other. Hull's business district has restaurants and shops, and it's close by the water. In my experience, Scituate's business district is a sizable walk from the water (Peggotty Beach, for example).

Feel free to correct me with specifics if I'm wrong. Note that I'm not impressed with insults and wise-guy judgements as a substitute. Re my reliability as a poster -- my lengthy and informed record on this forum speaks for itself. Meanwhile, the suggestion to send someone with (presumably) no car and a 3-year-old to see Scituate when there's no public transportation that even goes there seems problematic, to say the least.

But I wouldn't pick either place over numerous other day trip options from Boston, as was clearly noted above.