Reload this Page >

Boston/Northeast in October--HELP

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 1997, 08:05 PM
M Derby

Considering flying to Boston and taking a tour bus for a week or so to see the fall colors and points of interest. Has anyone had any experiences with any particular bus company, good or bad? Also, what would some of your suggestions be? Just wondering if this is a worthwhile idea. Would like to see more states other than just Mass.

Old Jun 22nd, 1997, 02:25 PM
Donna

My husband and I live in Southern NH and have toured all over New England every fall. In our opinion, the most beautiful foliage is in Northern New England the last week of September and first week of October. Would recommend that you fly to Burlington, Vermont, rent a car and drive through the Green Mountains of Vermont and the White Mountains of New Hampshire. Then, fly out of Manchester, NH. The scenic drives are incredible. Fabulous towns and wonderful country inns and B&B's too numerous to mention. Our favorite towns for overnight lodging and dining are: Stowe, VT, Franconia (western Whites) and Jackson (eastern Whites), New Hampshire.

Old Jun 24th, 1997, 11:19 AM
R. Kohout

I am an ex-New Englander. Boston is superb. I would rent a car rather than jump on a bus. then you could hit the speciffic things you wan to see/do. NE has good highways and roads. Driving distance between places is short.
For history outside of Boston: Mystic Seaport, Plymouth Plantation, Sturbridge Village, are all very well done and take a day each.
Make sure you have some steamed clams, I still dream of them.

Old Jun 24th, 1997, 11:20 AM
R. Kohout

I am an ex-New Englander. Boston is superb. I would rent a car rather than jump on a bus. then you could hit the speciffic things you wan to see/do. NE has good highways and roads. Driving distance between places is short.
For history outside of Boston: Mystic Seaport, Plymouth Plantation, Sturbridge Village, are all very well done and take a day each.
Make sure you have some steamed clams, I still dream of them.

Old Jun 24th, 1997, 04:13 PM
barbara day

Agree w/first message about renting car. Buses don't take you off the beaten path. Franconia is beautiful, but we have discovered Monadnock region in sowest NH which is as nice and possibly less touristy. Favorite town is Peterborough. Lots of B7B's, restaurants, and things to do: music of all kinds, local theatre, hiking, unique opera company performed entirely by marionettes - full operas! Also canoeing on gorgeous rivers, lakes & ponds.

Old Jun 30th, 1997, 07:09 AM
Mary Lou Griffin

Oh we love Peterborough. We sort of stumbled on it last fall on our way to the White Mountains, which we love too. But autumn in Peterborough is very spectacular without all the tourists and stop and go and souvenir shops. We also found the marionette opera. We saw La Boheme. I was totally in tears at the conclusion. In fact, this fall, the destination is Peterborough and it is timed to coincide with the Tosca production at the Marionette Theatre. Lots of good restaurants, wonderful little ponds and you call always climb Mt. Monadnock, many trails, some for day strollers, others for more serious.

Old Jul 2nd, 1997, 06:31 AM
Brian Scott

I am currently deployed to Bosnia and will be flying to Philadelphia, end of July, for two weeks of leave. I would like to explore the NE with my wife and 12 yr old son. Do you have any suggestions that are family oriented, especially with a teenage boy? I appreciate the help.

Old Jul 4th, 1997, 06:57 AM
ROCKEY BOB

Consider flying in and out of Hartford Ct. Its served by all major airlines and not nearly as crowded as Boston. Rent a car at the airport and
then its about an hour and a half drive to Vermont and some of the most beautiful foliage you'll ever see (the interstate is not crowded and free of construction--except Springfield Mass but even that's not bad). Once in Vermont you can take as many side roads as you want.
The Holiday Inn in White River Jct. Vt. is a great place to stay and there are several nice hotels across the river in New Hampshire.
Have a great trip!!!

Old Jul 11th, 1997, 11:56 AM
Tracy

My husband and I were married in May in San Fran. We stayed in San Fran for a week, but we want to take our "official" honeymoon this fall. We live in Philadelphia, and we have thought about driving up to New England. We LOVE B&Bs/inns. Does anyone have any suggestions for places to stay? Peterborough sounds great. I know getting reservations may be tough, but what about places off the beaten tourist path?

Old Jul 12th, 1997, 06:27 PM
Jeffrey Shelly

Just one suggestion; visit Walden's Pond in Concord, Mass. Read a little Thoreau first, then have lunch at the B & B in Concord...You will remember it for the rest of your life.

Old Jul 12th, 1997, 06:27 PM
Jeffrey Shelly

Just one suggestion; visit Walden's Pond in Concord, Mass. Read a little Thoreau first, then have lunch at the B & B in Concord...You will remember it for the rest of your life.

Old Jul 22nd, 1997, 05:37 AM
Susan Anderson

I can add to three of the messages above. If you want Thoreau, you will find him at the Birchwood Inn in Temple,NH. We were just there earlier this month and found out that it was a frequent stopping place for the reknowned naturalist. Quaint but spotless. Excellent food and Bill and Judy Wolfe, owners, are a total delight. And guess where they sent us? Right, to the Marionette Opera in adjacent Peterborough, NH. We saw the next to the last performance of Madame Butterfly. If you don't think a marionette opera is real, I can tell you that I was crying, along with everyone else in the audience, at the conclusion. Unlike ANYTHING you have ever seen. For a 12 yr. old boy? Probably not, however there were some children in the sold out and gorgeous
theater and they seemed to enjoy it although it is an adult type thing.
Peterborough Chamber of Commerce was most helpful. Book now for fall foliage - the place fills up.
PS Bring a cell phone, pay phones are non existant!