Boston North End Apartment

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read several threads about staying in the North End but wanted to get more specific information. We are visiting the 1st week of June (graduation week, unfortunately) and have narrowed our choices down to two places based on availability, price, and location. Our first choice is an apartment at 435 Hanover St, #2B (http://www.zoerentals.net/viewproper...&sid=100&tid=2) and our second choice is an apartment at Darthmouth and Montgomery.

1st choice is the one in the North End because we've never stayed in that area before, but we're not sure which area is better for public transportation and getting around to all of the Boston sites. It appears that getting outside of the North End will require multiple bus and T routes. We have a well-traveled 9 year old and a 3.5 year old.

Can anyone comment about the family friendliness of either area, and the convenience to the sites and public transportation?

Also, we will have a car (driving to Boston), so recommendations on parking is appreciated. It seems the North Terminal garage may be our best bet?

Thank you!
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 08:16 AM

I am going to suggest you Google the address and read the first entry. It is the apartment next door, but same rental company.

Your proposed apartment is at the quieter end of Hanover Street, but the street is busy everywhere, especially on weekends. It is busy for a reason, though, in that there are lots of good places to eat and an interesting atmosphere for kids to see.

The Dartmouth-Montgomery apartment is near Hamersley's Bistro and other good restaurants. Neither is particularly convenient to public transportation, but the North End has drugstores, small markets and a couple of good Italian delis.

For the North End, Post Office Square garage is close and cheap on weekends. Avoid the Aquarium garage like the plague. The North Station garage is a good bet for weekdays. I don't know parking in the South End, but the Prudential lots are expensive during the week.
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 09:25 AM
cw

Agree with Ackislander--google the address in the North End.

In addition that apartment doesn't appeal to me because the owners obviously don't even care enough to pick up the clothes etc. scattered around the apartment before they took the photos.

When you do know where you are staying, you can find information on nearby parking facilities by looking at www.boston.bestparking.com .
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 02:17 PM

Most places in the North End will be within an easy walk to the Haymarket T-stop, which is on both the Orange Line and Green Line.

The South End apartment will be several blocks walk from the Back Bay T-stop stop on the Orange Line.
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 03:32 PM

The MBTA's trip planner website http://www.mbta.com/rider_tools/trip...er/default.asp says the walk from 435 Hanover Street to the Haymarket station is 13 minutes. The walk from Dartmouth and Montgomery to Back Bay station is listed as 10 minutes. I presume they would take a little longer with a 3.5-year-old.

By the way, I Googled "435 Hanover St" and if the entry Ackislander and cw mean is the one I think they mean, it was not the first one that came up for me.
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Haha, guess I should have Googled it first. I Google Earthed it, but that surely doesn't mention bed bugs. Maybe I should put a waypoint on Google Earth with the simple title "Bedbug Residence."

I wasn't so put off by the clothes ... it's not that messy. But the real estate guy seems a bit "cheesy" so I wasn't too sure about him to begin with.

Also, thanks for parking and transit resources ... those will come in handy.

Looks like we're upgrading to a two bedroom now that my brother-in-law and fiance are going to join us. So back to the drawing board.