Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Boston, Maine and Cape Cod Trip Report..

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2007, 12:10 PM
TahitiTams

Well, Thanks to so many of you wonderful Fodorite's that made our first trip to New England so great!
Left on Continental Airlines from San Diego on September 12th to Boston with my husband and our dog..no problems but flying isn't what it used to be..full planes, cranky stewardesses, smaller seats..
Arrived at Logan and rented a car from Hotwire and got a full size car weekly rental for $175 and that included all the taxes and we were upgraded to a Buick Lucerne which was really nice..had XM radio which was great..
Checked into the Westin Waterfront Boston which we got an incredible deal on Expedia for $229 a night and they gave me several $100 coupons so I used them and the hotel upgraded us to a corner suite overlooking Boston waterfront..
This was a new hotel that was very nice with the heavenly beds and good linens and they took a dog..this was about a mile to downtown to walk and we parked across the street for free which saved us $39 a night for valet..
I love Boston and wish we had more time there..
Keep in mind that I had Shingles during my trip so even though I had pain pills, I just wasn't up to my usual 'Let's go' attitude..
We walked to LTK on the wharf and had our first Lobster roll and chowder..I found the roll bland but decent..we walked to Downtown and just had a blast with the people..they really are a nice bunch of people but I don't think they want you to know it!
We took the T which to go a half a mile we had to switch 3 trains and I found it annoying for such a little distance..
We went to Fanuiel Hall which I couldn't believe was a food court and t-shirt shop..
Love downtown Boston!!
Went to Locke-Ober for drinks and app's that my friend and his family have been going to since the 60's and we loved this place..great cocktails, food and ambience.
Walked back to the hotel and didn't take long at all..about 15 minutes and it was better than driving downtown..Yikes..
We loved that we got our first 'Honk' when we didn't step on the gas fast enough..
Drove around this gorgeous city and we can't say enough on how gracious the people are toward us..

Left the following day to Maine and the drive was pretty uneventful but stopped in Kennebunkport..what a darling town!
Saw where the Bush compound and just drove around and then walked around..I could see getting a rental home for the summer..
Stayed at the Marriott in Portland since I the hotel in Kennebunkport was sold-out..I waited to long to book..
We had more $100 coupons from Expedia and so our room rate came out to $60 bucks a night and they gave us a corner room overlooking the green belt/golf course..
Not a big fan of Portland but the 'Old Port' was nice and had good beer at Gritty's and we went to the Lobster Shack next to the famous lighthouse..Cape Elizabeth and the town is so nice.

Did the Freeport Outlet/LL Bean thing but I as we were walking around, we realized that we didn't come up to gorgeous Maine to go outlet shopping..

The food at the Marriott Sable Oaks in the bar was really good..we couldn't believe that hotel food was this good..had 2 1 pound lobsters with aspargus and garlic mash pot's for $25..that is such a deal for us Californian's!
The Red Sox and the Charger/Patriot game was in full force and I love that these folks are die hard sports fanatics!

Went to Kennebunkport at the Windows on the Water for lunch and the food was ok..not great..tried to get into the White Barn Inn but they were sold-out for our anniversary dinner on September 16th..book early when you really want to go somewhere.

After 3 days in Maine, we left for Cape Cod and stayed at the Ocean Edge Resort in Brewster..
The resort looks very stately but the rooms were dirty and I complained and after leaving the property, the manager called us back and gave us a 2 bedroom villa..
I will not pay or stay in a dirty room..so we walked out..not knowing where to go, things were booked but the hotel finally did the right thing!
Love Cape Cod..what a great place and wish we had more time..
P-town is great and had a great lunch at Pepe's on the waterfront and had some of the best lobster bisque ever!
Loved the small towns like Truro and all the others..
We had steamers at JT's in Brewster..steamers are different in the East coast with that jacket thing over them with that long thing and we had to rinse and then dip...loved them, once I got all the sand out of them.
I found the food prices to be pricey in the Cape..but great food.

Relax and walked the beach out front of our villa which the water was warm and was just great to be on the other coast with the beautiful seascapes with the fences and the dunes...

Left the next day for our flight back home and it only took about 2 hours max from Boston to Brewster..
Had a great trip and wish I didn't have my Shingles but it was still great to see New England and I can't wait to go back!
Thanks again to all of you!

Old Oct 9th, 2007, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been looking for your trip report to appear, as you have been planning your Birthday trip for months. Glad it went well.

I'm sorry you didn't get to sleep in Kennebunkport, I thought it was all arranged for the Yachtsman Lodge, because of your dog. The White Barn Inn will await your next visit, it's not to be missed. Should have gone to Allison's at Dock Square for lunch while in KBP, it is the best for Lobster over the years. Check out photo for the size of their Lobster Roll.
http://www.alissons.com/

Sounds like you got some great prices for your trip, and most things went well in the end. I know you'll be back.
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 05:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Welcome home, happy you like my Boston
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like you had a wonderful time. We had such a nice September. It's a great time to be here. And you got some bargains!
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 08:19 AM
TahitiTams

Love Boston and what a great vibe that city has..
Thank you all again for making our trip so great!