Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Boston/Lexington/Adams park - what days to spend where?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to repost this...I forgot to specify the search state.

I'll be in Boston October 14 - 19. I arrive on a Friday night and leave Wednesday morning, so I will have Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday to spend in and around Boston. I would like to spend one day in Lexington and Concord (I will rent a car for that one day), one day at the John Adams park, and two days in Boston on the Freedom trail and touring historic areas.

What days should I plan on going to Lexington/Concord and John Adams park? I'd like to spend time in Boston on the least busy days, but don't know if that would be week days or weekend.

Also, how long does it take to see the buildings in John Adams historical park? I have looked over their website and know what is there. They do not give a good idea of how long it takes, though. You can only see the buildings on a guided tour. Do you know if this is a tourmobile type tour where you get on and off at will to tour the homes, or is the entire tour guided? If an entire day here is too much, I'd like to know so I can plan something for that afternoon in Boston.

Thanks so much for all of your help!

Old Aug 13th, 2005, 12:50 PM

Can't answer your questions, but will offer a posting suggestion:

just post a reply to your original post if you must add further detail. That way you won't have to follow two different threads, each having a life of their own, for replies.
Old Aug 13th, 2005, 01:04 PM

But specifying the search state is something that can only be done with the initial posting. So if a repeat posting must be done in order to add this feature, I suppose the best strategy would be to post a reply to one's own initial thread, explaining that there is now an alternative one to ansewr instead.

Anyway,

A full day is far, far more than you'll need to see everything relevant at Adams "Park" which is really a collection of scattered sites in downtown Quincy. Then hop on the Red Line (the station is shown on the park's website's map), get off at JFK/UMass, hop on the shuttle and spend the rest of the day at the JFK Memorial Library and Museum.

Downtown Boston will be far less crowded on weekends, and probably the suburban sites (lex & Conc) will be less crowded on weekdays, though you might run into some rush hour traffic. Quincy probably doesn't matter as far as crowds, but the subway runs more frequently on weekdays.
Old Aug 13th, 2005, 07:43 PM

HI Katie--for future reference, that little "search" box w/the names of the states does not have anything to do w/posting your question. It is just the same on the Europe board w/the names of the countries....All US questions are posted on the US board and you do not need to indicate the state (in that little box), and all Europe questions are on the Europe board and you don't need to indicate the country (in that little box). I know it is confusing until you are used to it. Sorry if my lame attempt at an explanation/help is only more confusing!!
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 02:55 AM

I think this trip is over Columbus Day weekend - so anything said for w/e applies to Monday as well.

Freedom Trail and Lex/Con have multiple school groups visiting, so anytime can be busy. While Boston itself can be less crowded on w/e, I have not found that to be true for Freedom Trail.

So I would just do it in any order you want - I am not sure, especially considering it is a holiday w/e that it will matter. I might get up early Sat and stroll past produce vendors in Haymarket, and then do Freedom Trail "backwards" towards Boston Common. You could do other half - towards USS Constitution on another day.
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 03:01 AM

The OP is traveling on the weekend after Columbus Day.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. I had a suspicion that an entire day in the Quincy area might be a little much.

Just to clarify the search state issue (for future readers' reference).

While all posts are shown on the United States board, you can use the state filter to narrow posts shown at the right to those related to a particular state. In order for Fodor's to know what states under which you want your post to be filtered, you must specify at the time of the original post. You may choose as many or as few states as you would like. I find it helpful and time-saving when looking for information for a particular state to use the state filter feature, so I appreciate it when OPs specify states.

To illustrate, click on my name. You will see two nearly identical posts (with the title of this post). If you click on the Massachusetts filter, you will only see one of my posts (this one). The other is lost in never-never land and can only be found if you search through hundreds of posts on the US board.

I hope this helps!
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 06:54 AM

HI Katie--Sorry I was trying to explain something to you that you clearly understand better than I do!! I also am still a little confused, as I post on Europe board more than this one, but there everyone always says that box is only for searching after the fact and has nothing to do w/posting. I am really not clear--apparently!!--on how this all works.....
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 07:04 AM

Katie
You will likely be here for peak foliage season (I live in Lexington) so be prepared for crowds.
Try this itinerary for your Lex-Concord day.
Drive to Lexington in am and visit the Park Service headquarters and tour the "Battle Green". Will take a couple of hours. Then drive out "battle road" (park service will give you maps, etc) to Concord. Stop along way at Visitors Center and many other historic stops. At the end of the battle road you will drive by Lousia May Alcott house, stop there and tour.
Depending on what time it is, go into Concord for lunch (the Colonial Inn is touristy but nice).
If you want a "side trip" go out to Walden Pond and walk around.
Then go to North Bridge in Concord and walk around. The Manse, Bridge, Buttrick Mansion. This can take as much time as you like.
To end your day go via Monument Street (in my opion one of the most beautiful drives in New England)( It is the street the North Bridge is on) to Carlisle. Go toward Carlisle on Rt 4/225 and stop at Bates Farm (Kimball Ice Cream). In our opinion this is the best Ice Cream stand in New England.
All the above should fill the day so you could head back to Boston thru Bedford and Lexington, etc.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Here is an email I received from Adams National Historical Park. I asked how long the official tour lasted, and what you could do off of the tour. Here is their response:

Hello, the tour takes two hours. It leaves the Visitor Center and you get dropped off at the Birthplaces of the Presidents and you have a guided tour through the homes. Then the trolley picks you up and brings you to the Old House (the Mansion) where you also have a guided tour through the home. The trolley picks you up and brings you back to the Visitor Center. At that time you may walk over to the Church where the Presidents and First Ladies are buried and take their tour, approximately one half hour. See you in October!

Socialworker, I feel your pain!! It is so frustrating sometimes trying to find things on this site. The wealth of information and friendly people make up for it, though. Try leaving the search field blank, choosing a state, and then clicking "search." That's what I mean by filter by state. I think it works on the other boards also (when people choose states/countries at their initial post.

Thanks everyone for your help!