Boston for family of 5

Search

Boston for family of 5

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2024, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boston for family of 5

Any recommendations for hotels or apartment for 2 adults and 3 teenagers this summer. We would like stay in walking area of historic Boston or if too expensive then outlying area with public transportation. Where would this be? I’ve looked at VRBO, other ideas.
Old Feb 28th, 2024, 08:32 AM

Besides Boston are there other areas you want to access and explore or would this be a general look at Boston Colleges for the teens? Be creative with your search engine. Corporate housing may be regulated at 30 day minimum, but furnished apartment rentals and agencies might get you better hits then vrbo. Perhaps sharing a bit of your plans or what you're looking for will help people find what you're looking for.
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 01:27 AM

Will you have a car? We have driven to the Kennedy Library on arrival in Boston since it has free parking. On our last visit we stayed in a suburb air b&b and four of us ubered into town which was a out a twenty minute ride. This september we are renting a three bedroom place in Revere that is near public transportation. Friend made the arrangements and I think its $300/night before the additional fees. I'm not thrilled with Revere but haven't been there in many years and it's convenient to get to North Shore Music Theater. When we stay outside of the city we have dinner at a local restaurant. I suspect you may want to be in Boston in the evening for something like The Blue Man Group. Just make sure you know public transportation schedules or splurge on an uber or two.
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 03:34 AM
Original Poster

I was hoping to do the historic/tourist things in Boston for 4 or 5 days and then get a car and go elsewhere, possibly a beach destination but not sure where yet. Any recommendations on a beach place would also be appreciated, probably not further than a couple of hours from Boston.
we may visit Harvard but not really college tours.
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 07:27 AM

When is your trip planned for? For beach destinations you can go right outside of Boston to Cape Ann, or head to Maine for several beach destinations, my favorite is Ogunquit or you can head to the Cape or further afield to RI or one of the islands.
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 08:06 AM

Booking.com lists some apartments so it might be worth checking that. I'd consider places in Cambridge and Somerville near the red line ("T" subway) as well as in Boston.

Old Feb 29th, 2024, 12:44 PM

As I consider my next response, understand nothing in Boston or by beach/ocean will be much less than expensive during the summer season.

For instance, which areas interest you. What history. Plymouth for pilgrim touristy stuff and Cape Cod? or grab a ferry to Provincetown for a couple of nights and return to Boston. Gloucester and Cape Anne for fishing stuff with Salem for touristy witch stuff? Concord/Lexington for revolutionary stuff? I ask because that may be the area you may consider due to your interests.

happy planning

Old Feb 29th, 2024, 07:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Terrace by the Sea in Ogunquit Maine is a nice beach spot about 90 minutes up the coast. I'm not sure if they have suites for 5, but I think Anchorage By The Sea does. (don't wait any later than early April if you want to book something for the coast this summer, the two-bedroom larger units book up early).

For Boston, the Revere Hotel has good-sized rooms with two queen beds.

https://www.terracebythesea.com/ogunquit-maine-motel-video/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmCHiAQ07dg

Last edited by clarkgriswold; Feb 29th, 2024 at 07:17 PM.
Old Mar 1st, 2024, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for these helpful suggestions. I will look at them. Please tell me more about Provincetown, is the beach nice, what else is of interest for teens? We have been to Cape Cod so probably will choose elsewhere and I don’t think Concord.
Old Mar 1st, 2024, 06:53 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Many years ago my wife and I attended a wedding ton the Boston area. We stayed in a hotel in the Braintree or Quincy area. For our tourist trip into downtown Boston we rode in on the "T" which extends south as far as Braintree. We saw much of the "Freedom Trail" and the science museum in Cambridge where we saw lightning created by a VanDegraff generator built by Mr. VanDegraff himself.
You can get a ferry out of Boston to go to Cape Cod.
Old Mar 1st, 2024, 10:28 AM

Provincetown is the real historical landing of the Pilgrims. And the only ferry from Boston as far as I know. I would call it an eclectic ocean town, and artist community, an early queer safe community. Ogunquit Maine is also queer leaning but more gentrified (only my take). Both are fantastic places to visit. Any time of year the ocean is frigid.
Old Mar 1st, 2024, 11:46 AM

You can also check the schedule for the Ogunquit Playhouse to see the schedule for the 2024 season which begins in May for the most part and runs through the end of October. It is a historic summer stock playhouse.
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 02:34 AM
Original Poster

Great ideas.
Old Mar 3rd, 2024, 01:07 AM

Ogunquit puts you near Portsmouth or Portsmouth could be a stop on the way to Maine. There's the Strawbery Banke historic area, several choices of narrated boat rides. I have not been on the gundalow boat but looks like some interesting schedules. In summer look for free outdoor concerts and events. Lots of good places to watch the water and boats such as Prescott Park. Good scenic coastal 1A in Rye NH takes you past mansions.