Search

Boston for 3 days

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2001, 06:38 PM
Sandy

Boston for 3 days

We'll be in Boston for three days in July and we need advice on what to do. The only thing we have planned so far is visiting the JFK library. We'll be staying at the Wyndham Downtown. Any suggestions?

Old May 2nd, 2001, 04:28 AM
Penny

Sandy,

What are your interests? That might help others recommend things for you.

If you're interested in history, there's certainly plenty to do, beginning with the Freedom Trail. If you're at the Wyndham, you should be able to walk easily to the Common for the start of the trail. Everything but the Constitution is an easy part of the walk.

Although many people recommend Duck Tours, I haven't taken one--but they're supposed to be a good way to see the city. The "ducks" are land/amphibious vehicles.

Ride the Swan Boats in the Public Gardens, on your way to walking up and down Newbury Street in the Back Bay. While on that side of town, you could also visit some of the famous architecture in town: Trinity Church in Copley Square and the Boston Public Library. The Christian Science has its mother church near there, too, which is interesting architecturally. In the Christian Science center, you can walk through the "maparium," a stained glass globe.

If you like fine art, the Museum of Fine Arts has a wonderful collection. The Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum is also wonderful.

The Science Museum has interesting exhibits, and the New England Aquarium is one of the best. The Aquarium would be in walking distance from your hotel.

If you do walk the Freedom Trail, be sure to eat lunch or dinner in the North End, near Paul Revere's House and the Old North Church. This is Boston's version of Little Italy, and you'll find some wonderful restaurants there.

The Faneuil Hall Marketplace area is also interesting, and you'll go right through there on the Freedom Trail as well.

If you like baseball, you might see if you can get tickets to a Red Sox game--the Red Sox are doing reasonably well, so I'm not sure if tickets would be available, but Fenway Park is pretty famous as a historical ball park, with its "green monster" of a wall.

Get on the subway and cross the river to Cambridge--walk around Harvard Square and Harvard Yard, and perhaps visit a few of the Harvard museums. Again, if you like art, there are a few good art museums--our favorite is the Fogg.

There's a half-price ticket booth at Faneuil Hall, and I believe another one in Copley Square; you could check to see if you can get tickets to whatever is on stage during your visit.

Depending on what days you're in town, you might also be able to take in a free concert on the Esplanade, on the banks of the Charles River.

Oh, one more thing: you might like to take a Harbor Cruise, particularly since it might be hot. You can get them from near the Aquarium--your hotel will no doubt have more details.

Hope this helps! Enjoy your trip.

Old May 2nd, 2001, 04:30 AM
Paul Rabe

Walk the Freedom Trail. Visit Copley Square, the Christian Science Mother Church, Hancock Tower (on a clear day), Newberry Street, Faneiul(sp?) Hall, the Computer Museum (ever see an Apple I?), Museum of Fine Arts

Old May 2nd, 2001, 06:51 AM
gail

Penny's post brought back great memories! Wish I would have had this kind of advice before I went.Great suggestions.I would also check the Boston Pops and see if there is an outdoor concert.I would have loved to have done that but my timing was off.

Old May 2nd, 2001, 07:19 AM
bennie

The complete listing of events for the Esplanade can be found at the Metropolitan District Commission website - www.state.ma.us/HatchShellEvents_complete.htm

The Pops have 6 events planned for July but there are other concerts going on almost every night. Everything from the Pops to the Monkees. Check it out. Its a really special way to get a feel for Boston.