Boston first timer mini-trip report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi....We were in Boston July 2nd, 3rd and 4th and wanted to post a brief report since we received such good information from this board. We stayed at Jury's hotel in Back Bay which was great and very convenient to good restaurants and the fireworks. We saw Bonnie Raitt and Keb Mo at the Bank of America Pavillion which is a wonderful outdoor venue on the water. We tried the new Legal Seafood Test Kitchen after the show which was in the neighborhood and was excellent. I had a Lobster roll at Durgin Park ,a canoli at Mike's Pastry and dinner at Stephanie's on Newbury and they were all wonderful.

We thought the Duck Tour was a riot. I was thinking it was going to be pretty lame when our driver showed up with Viking horns on his head and a little furry skirt, but he was hilarious and informative.

My favorite areasof Boston were the North End and the Public Gardens. I was amazed by those beautiful old trees which are all so perfectly shaped and maintained. I could have spent all day there. And we happened to be in the North End the day of the Italy / Germany World Cup game and that was quite a scene. Hanover Street was closed down for the game and everyone was going wild. I would love to be down there this Sunday, but I will have to watch it in Ohio in my bluce Italian soccer shirt we bought on the street!

As everyone said, the city is very easy to navigate and we used the subway quite a bit as there is a stop in Back Bay close to Jury's. We even took the subway to our hotel from the airport, although the cab ride was only $15.00. I would have loved to have shopped on Newbury Street, but we arrived on a Sunday and the stores were closed on the 4th, so I will have to save that for another trip. The people we met, including our taxi drivers and people that we asked directions from on the street were very friendly and accommodating.

I wanted to thank Wyatt92 for his/her suggestion to walk down to the end of Fairfield Street to see the freworks. We didn't get down there until around 9:30 and we walked right onto Storrow Drive which was closed and had a wonderful view as the barges were right across the river from where we were standing. The fireworks were amazing, the best I have ever seen. And the Boston Pops playing w/ Aerosmith was an unexpected treat! I loved Boston and will defintely return as I didn't get to sample nearly enough of the wonderful seafood. Lori
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 01:25 PM

Lori, glad you had a good time! It seems like you were able to see quite a bit, and what good timing to be in the North End for the World Cup. I was probably not that far from you watching the fireworks, I also sat on Storrow Drive near Fairfield and coincidentally enough, went for a drink at Jurys after the fireworks!
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

That is so funny....we were sitting in Jury's little outside bar area after the fireworks trying to get something to eat....we were the burnt-out couple looking like a couple of zombies after walking around the whole day, drinking with the Italians in a bar for 3 hours during the World Cup and then continuing on during happy hour before the fireworks started. Thanks again for the fireworks tip....they were great!
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 06:05 PM

Oh my gosh, we were at the outside bar too! Service was pretty slow out there. You'd think the party would continue after the fireworks but the city really empties out afterward, I think people have been celebrating all day and need to get home to get up for work the next day. Anyway, you're welcome for the tip, hope you make it back to Boston again.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 06:13 PM

Ya, know, someone on this site should put together tee shirts that say........I'm a Fodorite.

That way we can recognize each other, lol.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 07:45 PM

Another happy tourist whose visited Boston..lol. Come on back...there is so much more.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 10:10 PM

Fodors gave out pins at one point. Unfortunately only a few lucky regulars have them!

I'm always tempted to just print and cut out the Fodor's logo (above) and wear it on my shoulder!