Boston Daytrips by Boat/Ferry

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 11:26 AM
klam

Boston Daytrips by Boat/Ferry

I have a girlfriend visiting in mid-March. We'll be exploring Boston for a few days together and I thought it might be different & fun for us to go on a daytrip by boat somewhere. I saw MBTA's Lovejoy-Courthouse-World Trade Cntr & Charlestown ferries, and we will do that. Does it allow on-off privileges? Besides that, I thought it might be interesting to go to Salem or Gloucester for the day. Has anyone done this before? The links on MBTA's site aren't working...possibly because it does not run until the summer? Anyone know? If it did run, can either of those two communities by done "by foot" since we won't have a car? Any info would be appreciated. Thanx a mint, in advance!

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 11:31 AM
bm

I don't the the ferry to Salem runs in the winter, but am not 100% positive. You could take the commuter rail (info at mbta.com)to Gloucester, Rockport, or Salem. All three communities can be expolored by foot. Have fun!

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 03:39 PM
Joanne

You can also get a fast ferry to Privincetown, which meets your criteria of "different and fun." Lots of the harbor cruise companies (both harbor tours and boats to other destinations) are privately run, not by the MBTA. Here's the fast ferry (90 minutes) to P'town:

http://www.bostonharborcruises.com/provincetown/

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 08:36 AM
klam

Thanx for your thoughts bm and Joanne. I spent quite a bit of time checking out the MBTA site for its ferry services, and didn't even think about the commuter rail...DUH! Thanx a mint. I think we'll do that. P'town sound neat too, but when I checked the site earlier, it doesn't start up 'til mid-May. That's why I guessed the MBTA links to other services weren't working cuz the boats don't run in the winter. MBTA sure has a thorough site...nice of them to include other vendors' sites, not just their own routes.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Parrot Mom

For the heck of it you might want to check out the train that goes up to Portland, Maine..that is becoming popular and you can walk around the Old Port.. I don't think in this weather I'd be taking boat trips..lol