Boston Back Bay vs Waterfront

Jul 27th, 2002, 07:43 AM
Julie

Boston Back Bay vs Waterfront

We are heading to Boston august 23rd to 26th. It will be my husband, myself and twin 16 year old daughters. Would we be better off staying in the Back Bay area or the waterfront. On Saturday my husband and I will be going to the Boston Gift show so we would like to be in a safe area where the girls could go off by themselves for a while on Saturday. They like to shop of course! Thanks for the help.

Jul 27th, 2002, 07:51 AM
mimi taylor

I think BackBay because all the trendy shops are on Newbury St. and The Prudencial Center and Copley Place, and they will have a choice of sidewalk cafes to people watch.

Jul 27th, 2002, 08:09 AM
Julie

Thanks for the help mimi!

Jul 27th, 2002, 08:25 AM
Leslie

I suggest the Back Bay too, safer and prettier, and you won't have to deal with looking at the Big Dig. There's a movie theatre in Back Bay in case your daughters get bored, but there is plenty of shopping. And, if they are really bored, there's always the Boston Public Library, which is really worth going into just to see the architecture.

See if you can get a room at the Westin, Marriott, or Hilton. If you're going to bid on Priceline, limit your choices to Copley Square.

Jul 27th, 2002, 11:43 AM
ndevo

The back bay has more trendy shops and outdoor cafes. The waterfront is close to Faneuil Hall, the North End (boston's little Italy) and the downtown shopping area (Washington Street).
If the Gift Show is at the World Trade Center, the Seaport Hotel is right there and right near the waterfront in the the Seaport District. The Marriott Long Wharf is on the waterfront right near the Aquarium and the Faneuil Hall and a five minute walk to the North End.

If it's at the Hynes, you're probably better off in the Back Bay.
Hotel bookings in Boston are way off, so you may be able to get a deal. There is also a small in on Newbury Street that not many people know about. I think it's called the Inn on Newbury.

If the show is at the Bayside Expo center, there is a hotel there, but there is nowhere to walk to from there. You're better off staying somewhere closer to the main part of the city.

Check out bostonusa.com. It's the convention bureau web site.
hope this helps.

Jul 27th, 2002, 01:17 PM
Julie

The gift show is at the Bayside. I'm not concerned about convenience to there as it will only be for the one day. I'm more concerned with having everything for the rest of the weekend. Thanks for all the input.

Jul 27th, 2002, 02:57 PM
Parrot Mom

If the weather is great your daughters might want to spend the day at the beach...near the Bayside Expo.. Definetely try to stay in the Copley Square area and lock up the credit cards once your daughters see all the trendy shops on Newbury Street....lol Copley Square and the park there is a great place to chill out. Oh yes.. at Copley Square is Skipjack's a great seafood restaurant.. Mimi is right on!!!

Jul 27th, 2002, 03:07 PM
Boston Eddie

Back Bay, be careful if you go to the North End, there's been a rash of attacks on females in the last month, police have not yet caught the guy, the latest attack was just a week ago. Seems plenty safe during the day, though.

Jul 27th, 2002, 03:11 PM
xxx

Also, Boston is not at its best right now due to the BIG DIG. So uderstand that there is a lot of construction going on in the area. I love Boston though!

Can you take a little side trip to the Cape? It is beautiful.

Jul 28th, 2002, 01:39 AM
gail

Back Bay will have more within walking distance and slightly easier MBTA stops. Make sure you do not end up staying near Bayside - there is nothing there and it is not that great an area, although it is improving

Jul 28th, 2002, 07:49 AM
julie

Okay everybody, Back Bay it is. I've done some checking and found a family package at the Westin. Two connecting room's, one with a king bed, one with two double beds, breakfast for four each day and some kid's club thing that won't matter to me. The price is $289 p/nite for all of the above. I thought this was a pretty good deal. Thanks a bunch to everyone.

Jul 29th, 2002, 01:34 PM
ralphie

Julie that's a good rate for two rooms. The location is excellent too.